Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Implant ovaries, Fallopian tube and uterus for transgender woman

Started by Smith, October 05, 2010, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Passage

No... I've accepted myself as a woman who's reproductive parts just don't work (or are not there entirely). So, like those unfortunate women, I plan to adopt. If I were to do this, I would want it to be my own baby -- from my own blood. But I don't see that happening, short of cloning myself and somehow putting that cloned fetus of me inside of my belly... weird. LOL!!

Anyway, yes, I imagine it will be possible someday. Although, maybe not in our life time. :P

Edit:

"Hasn't a transwoman already given birth with a donor uterus? Just curious because this thread is old and at the begining it says it's never been done before."

It has? o.o
"Magic is just science we don't understand yet." - Arthur C. Clarke
  •  

A

If I recall well, a cis woman without an uterus was able to keep an uterus from her mother(?) for a few months, after which she died because the immuno-suppressants weren't being nice on her.
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

pasupatidasi

have been fervently researching this for my nine year old affirmed female child.  she has undescended testes which we will remove rather than surgically descend, staving off the need for testosterone blockers too, she also has juvenile polyposis coli syndrome.
the two of these facts taken together mean that usual and past means of vaginoplasty are unavailable to her.
there have indeed been vagina transplants.
there is a way to avoid rejection using a method called microchimera therapy
and there is cheek cell vaginoplasty wherein a person's epithelial tissue is grown around a scaffolding to create a vagina. this has been done many places around the world for women who suffer a rare genetic condition wherein they are born without a vagina. and was done two years ago in thailand as part of a srs procedure.
my daughter does wonder if she could ever have a womb and carry a child. but as she is also a lesbian, she is fine with her wife carrying one, and as an adopted child, she is also way okay with adoption.
just thought i'd weigh in on this one since i've been all over it lately
  •  

A

You sure have a surprisingly mature and thoughtful child! And all my congratulations to you for treating the issue seriously so soon.
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

Jean24

Quote from: YellowDaisy on November 23, 2010, 12:59:38 PM
i don't think i could tell you one genetic female that enjoys having periods and pms.

Sorry, but this really got to me. Could you think of many mothers that would trade their children for a lifetime of being period and pms free?
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

dnshuford9

I suggest that you check this out;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9492020
They are growing vaginal canal and uterus, and grafting them into mice now!  Next step home grown ovaries and eggs!
  •  

Zoetrope

Well I cannot see this happening anytime soon.

When it comes to any kind of experimental transplant surgery, it will only be approved in very special circumstances.

I do not believe this will be permitted electively - and nor do I think it should.

Surgeons are not going to perform a procedure that risks so many complications. Bringing a child into the world by experimental means - in general - is also a big no-no.

Think about the risks for the child. That is an enormous con, to the pro of feeling more validated as a woman. Ethically, it does not weigh up.

Not to mention, that it's probably a bad idea trying to give birth through a male pelvis. It is not designed for the job. You would probably need to have that rebuilt, as well.

*shudder*
  •  

Jean24

I believe transplants are possible but totally impractical. You need a donor and because their tissues don't match yours genetically, it's interpreted as a threat and attacked by the immune system. Some women with AIS develop tiny wombs which are usable, as seen here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2933979/I-born-no-womb-ve-given-birth-twins-says-mother-feared-no-man-want-me.html. The human genome has been almost completely mapped and we know which of them control gender. Regenerative medicine involving stem cells has been effective in trials. My point is that we are so close to being completely functional. All of these wonderful techniques can come together and help us - our number one problem is the way healthcare is viewed and undervalued, followed by the social stigma surrounding the trans community. If we are able to change those views, there will be a procedure to grant us fertility in 5 years.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

RoseH

This is a very interesting topic.
Personally, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can't bear a child.
I would like to have a biological child with my boyfriend, however, but I have not had any sperm frozen before I started HRT.

I have read a bit about artificially combining DNA from two parents and having a surrogate carry the fetus. Is it possible that we would maybe see this lab-helped means of becoming biological parents sooner than transplanted ovaries?

•  

iKate

•  

Laura_7

Quote from: iKate on August 03, 2015, 08:02:05 AM
It will happen but probably 50 years from now.

Thats what people said about gay marriage, too  :)

hugs
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Laura_7 on August 03, 2015, 08:03:52 AM
Thats what people said about gay marriage, too  :)

hugs

Hey I sincerely hope that it's sooner!

Actually one of the first few attempts at MTF surgery way back when involved transplanting a uterus and the person died.

But having been to fertility clinics and involved in assisted reproduction as a patient, I believe that a full female reproductive system for a MTF is not only possible but a lot easier than people think. You basically can mimic the whole hormonal cycle with injections and kick start the body into pregnancy. It's routinely done. Stem cells can be used to make all sorts of things these days. I think it's only a matter of time before it's used to make a uterus and ovaries.

The biggest barriers I see are people who oppose it because it's "playing God" or some other nonsense. In reality they don't want to legitimize us as real and this would certainly do it.
  •  

Promethea

Wow, this is an interesting thread. I only read the first couple of pages, so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but from the last few posts it doesn't seem so.

This, or some of it, will be done much sooner than 50 years. I read a year or two ago that, in Sweden, they successfully transplanted a uterus into a cis woman who didn't have hers (I forgot if she had had it removed or if she was born without it). She did give birth to a healthy child and was considering having another baby before having the uterus removed. The plan was to remove it after she was done having children so she wouldn't have to be taking medicine to prevent rejection of the uterus for life. That was probably not the only case, and apparently there was one case in the US too.

It's only a matter of time before they do it with trans women, specially in a country like Sweden. Of course, it wouldn't be with out eggs, but that's also a matter of time.

I read that, separate from the above, there's research being done about removing the nucleus from an egg and replace it with the nucleus from a sperm. I read it longer ago, but I think the first experiments were successful, but I don't remember if they were using human cells yet. If they were they didn't implant the embryos at that time yet, we would have heard more about it, but they're getting there.

Sure, it's not the whole uterus, tubes and ovaries transplant, it will take more medical involvement, but it will bring us really close.

I'm moving to Sweden next year, and I'll do everything I can to find out what they are doing now and get involved, I'd get a uterus transplant once I have a partner and we're ready to have children.
Life is a dream we wake from.

•  

iKate

You'd have to find a suitable donor. I would rather have them grow it from stem cells.

There is another story about a woman who had some hormonal problem, never grew ovaries or a uterus then through extensive hormone therapy grew them and was able to give birth. Our mullerian ducts are long gone but I am thinking that research into stem cells could make this possible.
  •  

KristinaM

Quote from: Promethea on August 03, 2015, 09:12:44 AMI read that, separate from the above, there's research being done about removing the nucleus from an egg and replace it with the nucleus from a sperm. I read it longer ago, but I think the first experiments were successful, but I don't remember if they were using human cells yet. If they were they didn't implant the embryos at that time yet, we would have heard more about it, but they're getting there.

I remember hearing about this too several years ago.  Basically taking an egg and blanking it out, then combining two sperms to "fertilize" it.  I don't know if it ever went to human trials or not either though.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: RoseH on August 03, 2015, 07:26:43 AM
This is a very interesting topic.
Personally, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can't bear a child.
I would like to have a biological child with my boyfriend, however, but I have not had any sperm frozen before I started HRT.

I have read a bit about artificially combining DNA from two parents and having a surrogate carry the fetus. Is it possible that we would maybe see this lab-helped means of becoming biological parents sooner than transplanted ovaries?

They're actually doing this now in the UK (only place where it is legal) but as usual people are crying against it because it will allow three parent babies and lesbians to have children which share their genes. The reasons they cite are that it would impair the "emotional health" of the child, which is nonsense because people conceive from donor eggs that have none of their own DNA, and the kids are just fine.

Anyway in this procedure they basically take the mitochondria from a donor and put it in the egg to replace the defective one which carries diseases such as diabetes. Sadly the US FDA banned it after three kids were born. No doubt under pressure, even though they cited "safety" concerns (yet a natural pregnancy with defective genes is OK?).
  •  

Rejennyrated

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (mid 1980's uk) there was a project looking at possible ways to generate a trans pregnancy - but sadly it lost its funding and so never happened.

Which is a shame because a certain young British girl that I know rather well was very interested in becoming the guinea-pig... A fact that a certain tabloid newspaper in the UK then discovered with the result that a headline screamed "Sex change Jenny wants baby" (... and research being carried out at a British University may soon make this possible... ) This was not my finest hour I fear, and with several long lens wielding paperazzi chasing me about the small market town where I then lived, I more or less went into hiding for several weeks...

So this isn't a new idea - and indeed its one with which I have much personal history.
  •  

Promethea

Quote from: iKate on August 03, 2015, 04:08:48 PM
people are crying against it because it will allow (...) lesbians to have children which share their genes.

Heh, you just reminded me of this:

They didn't say whose safety it was that worried them.
Life is a dream we wake from.

•  

RoseH

Quote from: iKate on August 03, 2015, 04:08:48 PM
They're actually doing this now in the UK (only place where it is legal) but as usual people are crying against it because it will allow three parent babies and lesbians to have children which share their genes. The reasons they cite are that it would impair the "emotional health" of the child, which is nonsense because people conceive from donor eggs that have none of their own DNA, and the kids are just fine.

Anyway in this procedure they basically take the mitochondria from a donor and put it in the egg to replace the defective one which carries diseases such as diabetes. Sadly the US FDA banned it after three kids were born. No doubt under pressure, even though they cited "safety" concerns (yet a natural pregnancy with defective genes is OK?).

Yay! Thank you for the reply. I live in Denmark, so this is great news for me.
I'm sure this will be allowed in more European countries in a matter of years, which will probably but a pressure on the US FDA to also allow this practice once again.

•