News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Implant ovaries, Fallopian tube and uterus for transgender woman

Started by Smith, October 05, 2010, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

Quote from: RoseH on August 04, 2015, 03:23:18 AM
Yay! Thank you for the reply. I live in Denmark, so this is great news for me.
I'm sure this will be allowed in more European countries in a matter of years, which will probably but a pressure on the US FDA to also allow this practice once again.

Don't get too excited though. All they use is the mitochondrial DNA and they take it from a donor egg not sperm. This means the child won't have your physical characteristics if such a DNA swap were made. It's not legal to swap any other genes. They fear people will make "designer babies."

But this does show promise in the future. However as I said, "ethics" issues are the biggest hurdle.
  •  

RoseH

Quote from: iKate on August 04, 2015, 05:15:21 AM
Don't get too excited though. All they use is the mitochondrial DNA and they take it from a donor egg not sperm. This means the child won't have your physical characteristics if such a DNA swap were made. It's not legal to swap any other genes. They fear people will make "designer babies."

But this does show promise in the future. However as I said, "ethics" issues are the biggest hurdle.

After your initial reply I actually tried to look into the subject again. This time I searched for the possibilities of gay partners both being biological fathers (unrelated, though not entirely since that is another scenario where a baby would not be conceived by traditional sex).
Over the recent years there has been made a huge process in the science of stem cells, and now they can create sperm and eggs at a progenitor cell state from stem cells. It's all very exciting. As someone who won't be thinking about having kids for another decade, it looks like there's hope for me being a biological parent.

Here is one of the articles: http://europe.newsweek.com/biological-babies-same-sex-parents-possibility-after-stem-cell-breakthrough-309453

•  

iKate

Quote from: RoseH on August 04, 2015, 06:46:23 AM
After your initial reply I actually tried to look into the subject again. This time I searched for the possibilities of gay partners both being biological fathers (unrelated, though not entirely since that is another scenario where a baby would not be conceived by traditional sex).
Over the recent years there has been made a huge process in the science of stem cells, and now they can create sperm and eggs at a progenitor cell state from stem cells. It's all very exciting. As someone who won't be thinking about having kids for another decade, it looks like there's hope for me being a biological parent.

Here is one of the articles: http://europe.newsweek.com/biological-babies-same-sex-parents-possibility-after-stem-cell-breakthrough-309453

Oh I have no doubt that the science will be there. However there will be issues of "ethics" and laws and that unfortunately is left in the hands of politicians and not scientists.

I would say plan on adoption just in case.
  •  

RoseH

Quote from: iKate on August 04, 2015, 07:28:04 AM
Oh I have no doubt that the science will be there. However there will be issues of "ethics" and laws and that unfortunately is left in the hands of politicians and not scientists.

I would say plan on adoption just in case.
Yes, it is incredibly hard to predict how fast the ethics will change. I have seen fast changes in Europe though.
As of last September Danish citizens are allowed to change their legal gender without SRS or other surgical/medical treatment. Starting on hormones is an incredibly hard process though, but I was fortunate enough to live in Barcelona for 8 months where I started HRT immediately. I can only imagine this process will transmit to other issues.

I understand that the ethics and laws regarding assisted reproduction is far more complex though, but I do have hope for the future. With the increased focus on and general interest in trans* individuals we have a gateway to increase visibility on trans* issues  :) I might be naive in believing that this will happen within a decade or two though. Time will tell.

•  

Harukahime

People on this thread said around 20 years. Only 3 have passed and now we have this~!  ;D
To be honest, I'm excited. Give some more 10 years. We might be just there.
  •  

noleen111

This is an interesting topic. It is something that makes me sad, that I cant give my man a baby.

I am holding thumbs.. as I would get this done in a heartbeat. Then my man can get me pregnant.

A girl can dream. ;D
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was
  •  

iKate

Based on my experience with fertility clinics, if you're over 35 the chances decrease rapidly. So if you're 25 now you better hope this happens in 10 years, and be willing to be a guinea pig. Might involve some travel and medical tourism too.

However it does not rule out older women. I saw women in their 50s trying to conceive. Some had to use donor eggs though. But that will be pretty much a given in this case.
  •  

Jean24

Quote from: iKate on August 05, 2015, 10:22:59 AM
Based on my experience with fertility clinics, if you're over 35 the chances decrease rapidly. So if you're 25 now you better hope this happens in 10 years, and be willing to be a guinea pig. Might involve some travel and medical tourism too.

However it does not rule out older women. I saw women in their 50s trying to conceive. Some had to use donor eggs though. But that will be pretty much a given in this case.

I'm not too worried about menopause if that's what you're referring to. Fertility is a huge deal and I actually expect that to be resolved before we have any kind of permanent transplants or cloning of parts.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Jean24 on August 06, 2015, 02:45:46 AM
I'm not too worried about menopause if that's what you're referring to. Fertility is a huge deal and I actually expect that to be resolved before we have any kind of permanent transplants or cloning of parts.

It's not really menopause, it's just that after 35 it gets harder to conceive.
  •  

Jean24

Quote from: iKate on August 06, 2015, 04:44:05 AM
It's not really menopause, it's just that after 35 it gets harder to conceive.

In what way?
  •  

Rebekka

i know that my post is resurrecting an old topic, but as much as i would love to have 'real woman parts' on the inside, im equally interested in having a (more) female pelvis. IMO the pelvis is as important, if not more so, than vaginal ducting and uterus and ovaries and other fiddly bits, because it is structural, and also visible. A womans pelvis and hip width (and all that would derive from it, such as the size of her rear end, the sway of her gait, ect ect) is there for the world to see.... Her internal parts ? no so much. (not to get too graphic, but even her nether-folds are largely hidden from view in normal movement, nevermind under clothes.)

Therefore, the way i see it, getting a more female pelvis developed first, would go a very Very LoOong way in helping us trans women in numerous ways (including, serving as a more proper 'seat' for said squishy internal 'real woman parts' later on, anatomically speaking.)
Started HRT on March 16th, 2016  ;D
  •  

noleen111

Quote from: Rebekka on May 26, 2016, 09:37:37 AM
i know that my post is resurrecting an old topic, but as much as i would love to have 'real woman parts' on the inside, im equally interested in having a (more) female pelvis. IMO the pelvis is as important, if not more so, than vaginal ducting and uterus and ovaries and other fiddly bits, because it is structural, and also visible. A womans pelvis and hip width (and all that would derive from it, such as the size of her rear end, the sway of her gait, ect ect) is there for the world to see.... Her internal parts ? no so much. (not to get too graphic, but even her nether-folds are largely hidden from view in normal movement, nevermind under clothes.)

Therefore, the way i see it, getting a more female pelvis developed first, would go a very Very LoOong way in helping us trans women in numerous ways (including, serving as a more proper 'seat' for said squishy internal 'real woman parts' later on, anatomically speaking.)

I know how you feel girl... I would also love all the internal female parts as well. Yes It would mean I would have periods.. but I think its worth it.
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was
  •  

Serenahikaru

Quote from: noleen111 on May 27, 2016, 09:57:00 AM
I know how you feel girl... I would also love all the internal female parts as well. Yes It would mean I would have periods.. but I think its worth it.

I've always thought periods would be more than worth it to have proper internal parts and structure.
"There'll come a day where you realize you were so afraid of what others thought, you never got to live the life you wanted."
  •  

KayXo

I don't care much for periods, PMS or a uterus, fallopian tubes, etc but a wider pelvis, YES, most definitely.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Serenahikaru on May 27, 2016, 10:52:54 AM
I've always thought periods would be more than worth it to have proper internal parts and structure.

Hi Serena,  I'm with you 100%, I would love to have all the working parts.

Paige:)
  •  

veritatemfurto

Quote from: Rebekka on May 26, 2016, 09:37:37 AM

feminine pelvic bones are already achievable. that's why it is/was so important to most of us to start as young as possible since puberty sets all that in place and the older you are, the harder it is to change a calcified secondary sexual characteristic. I've heard of a few cases where people even pay to have their bones broken to change the size and shape but that's quite extreme like the Barbie lady or reptoid man.  Most of the differences you noted are actually having to do with fat distribution and muscle tone, instead of the bones... The plumbing issue is completely different with it being a primary system, requiring lots of connections including into some vital arteries.

Quote from: Paige on May 30, 2016, 03:59:12 PM
Hi Serena,  I'm with you 100%, I would love to have all the working parts.

Paige:)

Trust me, you DON'T want to be leaking blood from you vag all the time... It stinks, and can ruin clothes if the pad moves out of place. Besides, it's apparently a common occurrence to be leaking/spotting some blood for upwards of two years after getting GRS due to the stretching and finding weak spots in the skin from dilating.  (think: can't see through tights at rest, but pull on them and you start to see through) nevermind the cramps part.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •  

AbiDrew

Quote from: veritatemfurto on May 30, 2016, 07:09:21 PM
Trust me, you DON'T want to be leaking blood from you vag all the time... It stinks, and can ruin clothes if the pad moves out of place. Besides, it's apparently a common occurrence to be leaking/spotting some blood for upwards of two years after getting GRS due to the stretching and finding weak spots in the skin from dilating.  (think: can't see through tights at rest, but pull on them and you start to see through) nevermind the cramps part.

You're right, I don't REALLY want that aspect of having the right bits...  But it's the price to pay for the OTHER aspects of having the right bits.  Especially the getting pregnant and carrying my own baby part.  Personally, I'm more than willing to accept the price paid, if I could just pay it.
  •  

Jean24

I thought I would post something new. I was reading the other day and apparently Stanford has found a way to engineer immune systems to mimic a donor's. This is huge, it means that we can potentially get an entire female reproductive system transplanted and with a bit of the donor's blood combined with stem cell tech, our immune system will not attack it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/08/10/hope-of-cure-for-arthritis-ms-and-diabetes-as-stanford-makes-ste/

Also scientists at Northwestern University fixed a mouse and used her stem cells and a 3D bioprinter to make new ovaries. They produced hormones and she even had healthy babies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburns/2016/04/07/scientists-at-northwestern-restore-fertility-in-mice-with-3d-printed-ovary/#7825d9003416

The tech is out there. The new CRISPR CAS9 gene editing system holds great promise in being able to switch the right genes on and off to make a genetic sex change possible. That's pretty much the last obstacle and it's right around the corner.

The real challenge that lies ahead is getting access to it and other healthcare. Those who have been after our transition and recommend conversion therapy instead will launch a campaign to ensure we have as much difficulty as possible getting our treatment. We need to fight this by voting.
  •  

~Carmen

•