Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Implant ovaries, Fallopian tube and uterus for transgender woman

Started by Smith, October 05, 2010, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Sorry stupid question, but I just wanna know, is that possible to implant ovaries, fallopian tube and uterus for transgender woman?

Maybe this is insane or really stupid question, sorry if this question make some people not like it, but I just want to know.  :embarrassed:
  •  

cassie09

Quote from: Smith on October 05, 2010, 11:08:56 AM
Sorry stupid question, but I just wanna know, is that possible to implant ovaries, fallopian tube and uterus for transgender woman?

Maybe this is insane or really stupid question, sorry if this question make some people not like it, but I just want to know.  :embarrassed:

There has been an attempt in recent years to transplant a uterus, but it hasnt been succesful. The recipient had to have it removed 3 months later as it was causing complications. They are trying. It's still a while away but there's a great possibility that someday (who knows when), a transgender woman would be able to concieve a child. That being said, i dont think you can transplant ovaries and fallopian tubes, so the child will never be the genetic child of the trans woman unless her sperm was frozen and utilized to fertilize the egg.
  •  

Izumi

Medical technology has not progressed enough to do this, the last i heard they tried to transplant a uterus to another woman, it failed.  Still a lot to learn.
  •  

Izumi

Quote from: cassie09 on October 05, 2010, 11:13:40 AM
There has been an attempt in recent years to transplant a uterus, but it hasnt been succesful. The recipient had to have it removed 3 months later as it was causing complications. They are trying. It's still a while away but there's a great possibility that someday (who knows when), a transgender woman would be able to concieve a child. That being said, i dont think you can transplant ovaries and fallopian tubes, so the child will never be the genetic child of the trans woman unless her sperm was frozen and utilized to fertilize the egg.

Heh, Asexual reproduction.. the hard way.
  •  

Angela

I often wonder, when the day does come when this is possible, will we be looked upon in a better light ???  Because, then they cant say we cant do anything a born female can do. 
  •  

tori319

They've been able to create artificial ovaries and they found a way to genetically change gender in mice so while it's not possible today I think we'll see lot of things happen within the next decade.
  •  

Iceprincess

•  

Elsa.G

I highly doubt it. I dont think it will ever be seen as medically necessary so i doubt doctors would actually take time to figure this out. Sure it would be convenient as it would be pretty expensive but i think its unlikely
  •  

tori319

Do you know how many bio women lack some of these parts? Of course this is medically necessary. And what starts with bio women could be followed by by trans women.
  •  

YellowDaisy

i'm not really that interested though. if you want to reproduce, there is sperm freezing, or even getting donors. other than that, i really don't need monthly cramps or labor pains to make me feel like a "real woman." i think trying to do this would be a bit on the extremist side.
  •  

justme19

After doing some reserch into this, im going to say, I believe in the next 20-30years or longer. But from what ive read, it looks possible, but we just don't no how exactly.
  •  

sarahla

Hi,

I just want to add to the mix that science is experimenting with stem cells, both embryonic and adult.  Although it is not possible now, I have heard talk about growing body parts, like hearts and why not an ovary.

IMHO, I would agree that about 20 to 30 years or so.  Transplants may or may not be first, because of the rejection issue, but stem cell looks promising and worked on extensively.

I would love to have my own ovaries and the rest of the body parts.  That would put in in parity with genetic women.
  •  

tori319

Quote from: Maylene on November 22, 2010, 11:54:39 PM
i'm not really that interested though. if you want to reproduce, there is sperm freezing, or even getting donors. other than that, i really don't need monthly cramps or labor pains to make me feel like a "real woman." i think trying to do this would be a bit on the extremist side.
It seems extreme to want to function like a normal female?
  •  

sarahla

Hi Tori,

I agree with you.  It is "those extremes" that bind women and create a solidarity.  That is the female condition.
  •  

caitlin_adams

Quote from: Maylene on November 22, 2010, 11:54:39 PM

Not at all.

I want to have children. If I partner with a genetic male, the only way to have children is to find a surrogate (difficult in many jurisdictions, even when it is legal) or adopt.

I could do without the labor pains and monthly cramps, but it would be nice to have children.

The procedure may not receive the same levels of funding or research as terminal cancers, but there are enough people (genetic females included) that desire to have their own children and can't due to their reproductive organs that will provide a market for this procedure.
  •  

tgirljuliewilson

To function like a genetic woman is the goal.

I would much rather have a transplanted vagina and the associated tissue than have an inverted penis (or colon material) in a vagina approximation...

Give me the real thing--even if I wasn't born with it--rather than a 90% attempt...'

Just my 2 cents, and yes, I asked the same question here a few years ago....
O I wish I wish I wish I wish
  •  

pebbles

Tissue rejection is an issue MHC's are different making organ transplantation impossible not only that but if the organ comes from a donor then it won't be your child your carrying.

We've done work on tissue engineering however the experiments we've got thus far are limited. Organ cloning however is big business.

We've cloned a rat heart... What we do there is you get an organ kill all the cells on it leaving the ECM Extra cellular matrix get some of your own stem cells de-then Re-differentiate them into heart muscle cells and gently wash the cells over the clear ECM allowing the cells to adhere causing a new heart with genetics of the donor mouse to be created  with no tissue rejection.

Problem is Germ line cells like Egg and sperm cells have there own separate linage and those cells separate off early thus its difficult to create these in a lab.

Another problem I think will come up and I've observed researching orgasms is that male and female orgasms are different the reason for this difference is potentially due to differentiation at puberty into either the male or female limbic system.
  •  

glendagladwitch

They've been trying to do this for a very long time.  Lily Elbe reportedly died of such a procedure in 1931.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Elbe
  •  

Elsa.G

Quote from: tori319 on November 22, 2010, 11:43:53 PM
Do you know how many bio women lack some of these parts? Of course this is medically necessary. And what starts with bio women could be followed by by trans women.
The thing is bio women have a different make up of their body. Different dna, hormones, body structure, etc. Sure they could possibly advance in this area as far as bio women are concerned but mtf's are a whole different story. GG's bodies are built for giving birth, regardless if they are infertile, missing ovaries, uterus, etc. Transplanting the works would be extremely complicated especially in a way where mtf's would be able to get pregnant and give birth.
  •  

glendagladwitch

Quote from: elsaG on November 23, 2010, 05:30:03 AM
The thing is bio women have a different make up of their body. Different dna, hormones, body structure, etc. Sure they could possibly advance in this area as far as bio women are concerned but mtf's are a whole different story. GG's bodies are built for giving birth, regardless if they are infertile, missing ovaries, uterus, etc. Transplanting the works would be extremely complicated especially in a way where mtf's would be able to get pregnant and give birth.

I don't think there's much difference between a fully surgically transitioned mtf and a gg who has had a complete hysterectomy.  And if the MTF transitioned pre puberty, the hips would even be enlarged for giving birth.  Even without enlarged hips, c section can still be used to deliver.
  •