Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What is your Phobia?

Started by Janet_Girl, October 12, 2010, 11:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet_Girl

We talk a lot about phobias.  Homo, Trans etc.  But I am watching NCIS LA and they are showing a girl in a box buried underground.  And of course this sets me off.

I am Claustrophobic.

What fear to you have?
  •  

Raven

Heights, going down exerlators, standing on chairs, going down stairs, sitting in recliners and rocking chairs..stupid I know..
  •  

Hikari

Spiders...There is just no reason, for these little eight legged terrors to ever walk the face of this earth. People say they kill other bugs, well that's great, but so do praying mantises, birds, and so much else, but I don't see them biting people and poisoning them to death....

on a slightly related note, with the exact some rant, changing the species and location around: Jellyfish.

The only other "phobia" I have is not feeling prepared. At times I am terrified of going into situations I don't understand without being prepared,  however not understanding the situation I don't know what to prepare for and I over compensate for situations that are totally unrealistic. I am sure there is a word for that.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Cindy

Interesting Thread Sis,

Heights. Being caught in a lift (elevator?), happened to me and freaked me out. Flying in small aircraft - see other two phobias :laugh: :laugh:.

I'm not phobic about spiders and snakes etc, but they can alarm me by being suddenly present, the shock thing I think.

Crowds, not sure if it a phobia or an intense dislike, but I avoid to a point of not going to some big events.

Can I expand? Anyone overcome a phobia?

Cindy
  •  

Meepit

Fear of crashing ::) on a plane. Don't mind the flying....it's the crashing that gets me ;D.
  •  

Elijah3291

daddy long legs, cockroaches, crowds of people
  •  

rejennyrated

I hate needles and injections to the point where I will risk death or hideous pain rather than have one.

I have had teeth drilled and all sorts of minor ops without any pain relief or anesthesia over the years. SRS (and revision) was the ONLY thing for which I would willingly go under a general anesthetic for and even then I refused any pain killers afterward.

I am now HAVING to overcome this as my doctor is insisting on monitoring my blood estrogen level which seems to bend current medical logic.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: rejennyrated on October 13, 2010, 04:00:39 AM
I hate needles and injections to the point where I will risk death or hideous pain rather than have one.

I have had teeth drilled and all sorts of minor ops without any pain relief or anesthesia over the years. SRS (and revision) was the ONLY thing for which I would willingly go under a general anesthetic for and even then I refused any pain killers afterward.

I am now HAVING to overcome this as my doctor is insisting on monitoring my blood estrogen level which seems to bend current medical logic.

Sorry Jen,
I have to laugh :embarrassed:, when I need a 'normal' control in the lab I bleed myself. Needle in arm take 10 mls of we go. I've had people look a bit queasy when I do it.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But it is a very common phobia, and what makes it worse you get an adrenaline rush which closes your systemic blood supply and makes it more difficult to bleed you. Which of course builds the cycle.

BTW your Dr and probably lab will argue but you can get enough blood from a finger prick stab ( about 100 microliters) for an E level. I prefer an arm bleed to a finger prick any day.

Cindy
  •  

mr_marc

I have some really weird phobias, i can hold rats, snakes anything like that and i wont even flinch.
What really gets to me are just..random?lol. And honestly i dont think i've met others with some of these.

Wasps (pretty common)
Blood (one of the common ones)
Clowns
Yogart (it actually makes me feel physcally sick just lookin at it)
Sheep
Fish
Dolls
Blood tests.

The last one is always fun since i get proper shakey and end up bruised and lookin like a bag head xD
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: mr_marc on October 13, 2010, 04:23:54 AM
I have some really weird phobias, i can hold rats, snakes anything like that and i wont even flinch.
What really gets to me are just..random?lol. And honestly i dont think i've met others with some of these.

Wasps (pretty common)
Blood (one of the common ones)
Clowns
Yogart (it actually makes me feel physcally sick just lookin at it)
Sheep
Fish
Dolls
Blood tests.

The last one is always fun since i get proper shakey and end up bruised and lookin like a bag head xD

Clowns? Is this  Stephen King book response?

Cindy
  •  

mr_marc

You'd think that but nah oddly xD
I just hate them D:
  •  

Asfsd4214

Quote from: rejennyrated on October 13, 2010, 04:00:39 AM

That used to be mine, once upon a time. I was a needle phobic as they come, it did me in just seeing them.

Funny how life turns out.... I can now stick MYSELF with a needle without an issue in the world.  ;D
  •  

pebbles

Quote from: mr_marc on October 13, 2010, 05:04:11 AM
You'd think that but nah oddly xD
I just hate them D:
:P I will remember those XD sheep lol

I have social phobias (talking on the telephone and begin in a crowd of pepole shouting bad memories) I'm abit better with those situations now. Kinda gotten over it but I feel it abit deep down.

I'm completely unfazed by blood guts and pus (Assuming there not coming out of a another concious living person in whitch case it's horrifying  because of damn empathy) And needles and sharps don't bother me either.

My phobia is Cigarette ends and to a lesser extent cigarettes in general... *shudder* oh god there horrible yuckyuckyuck I'd rather touch rotting roadkill than an ashtray. I'm probably going to be flinching about it all day.

I'm not 100% where this comes from but I suspect it has a large amount to do with my parents smoking around me when I was young like right infront of me and making me ill and often begin negligent and unintantionally burning me on them when handling me ¬.¬
  •  

Fencesitter

Crowds and driving (myself) in a car.
  •  

kelly_aus

I used to have a phobia about heights.. But I cured it by walking across an old trestle bridge - it's supposedly the longest wooden trestle in the southern hemisphere. There was nothing between the sleepers except air.. I've not had an issue with heights since..
  •  

Colleen Ireland

Cisphobia - fear of always having to live as a man...  ::)

•  

Nathan.

Wasps
Going up escalators. I'm fine going down them.
Big crowds
People
Horses

•  

Jeatyn

Bugs of any kind, ESPECIALLY spiders.

Social Phobia, especially using the phone. A phone merely ringing makes me feel sick to my stomach

Elevators, I'd rather walk up 12 flights of stairs than use an elevator

My weirdest one, though not sure if it counts as a phobia....spreading toast, the sound of it and the feeling of the scraping actually makes me gag.
  •  

Shang

Spiders.  I originally disliked them, but then one flew at me when I opened the mailbox and it landed in the car and since then I can't get near spiders without having a panic attack.

Zombies.  I can have what people call "nightmares" but I like them, unless they involve zombies.  Even the mention of zombies will cause me to think of ways to get out of the area if an invasion was to happen.  They're also the only thing that gives me nightmares.

Drowning in an airplane.  I have a major fear of flying over water because I'm terrified of not being able to get out and drowning.
  •  

Silver

Wow whole lot of phobias here. Maybe you guys should try to get help or something (don't psychologists help people get over phobias, or at least make them more capable of carrying on in life?)

I've been afraid of dogs since before I can remember, don't know why I just had a dog phobia. I would run into the middle of a busy street to get away from a chihuahua. I think I've gotten myself over it for the most part now.
  •