Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Name that Religion

Started by glendagladwitch, November 15, 2010, 08:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glendagladwitch

Here's a "parable" I found somewhere on the Internet.  For all I know, it's a real religion summed up in a funny way, or it might be very recently made up.  If it has a real name, and you know what it is, please tell me.  Otherwise, let's play a game!   Make up a funny name for it and post it here.

QuoteIn one creation story, God splits off a portion of itself, names it Maya, and asks to play a game. 'What kind of game?' asks Maya. 'I don't know, that's what you're here for.' replies God. Maya thinks, and finally says 'Okay, but I need three things; A universe made of time-space, a small wet planet, and a machette.'

So God makes these things, and says 'Now what?'

'Close your eyes.'

As God does, Maya brings down the machette, splitting God in two. Then slashes again, and again, chopping God into a billion bloody chunks in less than a moment. She picks up the parts and starts dropping them into the Universe, and as she does they transform into birds, people, oak trees, blades of grass... every possible form of life. And she says 'Okay, here's the game; your goal is to remember who you are and figure out how to put yourself back together.

'Go.'

•  

Arch

Well, technically, I suppose gods and angels are different, but I came up with;

Maya-Angel-Ooh.

It's early, I have much work to do, and I am already tired.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Janet_Girl

JigSaw.

Sorry watch Saw $ recently.
  •  

Miniar

From the original place where this was posted (found by chasing links)

Quote...story hits on several of the major 'teachings' of Hinduism:
That we are all the same god but that we just haven't realized our potential.
That we must go through the cycle of reincarnation till we understand ourselves.
That the universe is God playing hide and seek with himself.

This idea is developed at some length in this book by Alan Watts. Worthwhile reading for the insight it provides into eastern religions.
Link to book (PDF!)

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

rite_of_inversion

•  

Jimjam

The Unification Church

.............. wait that actually exists

The message that they have to advertise their church should be "ONE OF US"
  •