Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

NAME ON TAX RETURNS

Started by mickie88, December 08, 2010, 07:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickie88

ok, i still h aven't had the fortune of being able to come up with the funds to legally have my name changed and there's no legal aid in my county or whatever to help me out. i was unemployed for quite some time after having to quit lowe's.  at lowe's i know i will be receiving a w2 stating i worked there as Mekayla, and they told me the only thing that HAD to  have my legal name on it was a drug test. i filled out everything out using my name and nothing was ever said.

i have a new job now, they refused to use my name on my paycheck though i don't use the window, i can just drop it throught the atm, but they were willing to use my initials to accomodate me which is nice. but when it comes to my w2 from them, it will have my legal name on it and supposedly my boss is supposed to  hand it to me personally.

my ex said it's because if the ssn and name do not match, they will get rejected. or at least at used to be this way. if that was the case, would not Lowe's have said something as well?

i have searched online and found another woman who called the irs and said that they (irs) are only concerned with the 4 first four letters of the last name matching.

i plan on doing this all online as ai have gotten royally screwed the last two years by h and r block and refuse to have them do it ever again, plus i am single this year.

i also plan on having whatever child support doesn't steal from me direct deposited into my checking account.

can anyone clear this up for me?

thanks, mekayla
  •  

Radar

I didn't change my name at work or on my work checks until after my legal name change and my SS updated. At that time the IRS (W2) was updated on my name change too. Anything in your old name will still follow you for awhile. As for using your preferred name at Lowe's what was the name used with the IRS then? What's submitted to the IRS and on your SS is what matters. If they don't match you have problems.
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •