Not your Mother's Tuna Casserole.

1 Package of creme cheese, plain.
1/2 cup milk.
1 stick of butter.
1/2 Cup sweet onion.  Visialias are better
3 Cups Cheddar Cheese, grated.
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated.
1 small block of smoked Gouda, grated.
( may substitute 1 Tsp Liquid Smoke for Gouda )
1 Large can Water-packed Tuna, drained.
1 Sleeve of Saltines, crushed.
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese.
3 Cups cooked egg noodles.

Preheat oven to 400o

Over low heat, cook onions and 1/2 of the butter till translucent.  Add milk and creme cheese.  Cook till smooth.  Add tuna and blend.  Add Cheddar Cheese, Mozzarella Cheese and smoked Gouda allowing them to melt.  Continue to whip till very smooth, adding milk as needed. 

Pour cheese mixture into noodles and blend.  Once blended, pour in to a greased 13 x 9 pan.

Mix Saltines, the rest of the butter and Parmesan Cheese.  ( you may use Parmesan Cheese bread crumbs as a substitute )  Cover noodle mixture with Saltine mix.

Bake for 1 hour, or till brown.  Allow to set.

Guaranteed to go straight to the hips.
  •  

rejennyrated

Ok lover I'll play...

Here is one that Alison and I have perfected over many years.

Leek Chilli & Cheese Sausages

Ingredients

3 or 4 assorted chill peppers
2 Leeks
2 packs of breadcrumbs
6 eggs
6 to 8 ounces of Monteray Jack cheese (or cheddar) – or indeed any cheese you like
Assorted mixed herbs to taste
A little White Flour.

Method

Finely chop the leeks and chillis into a bowl.
Add one pack of breadcrumbs.
Grate the cheese into the mix
Add herbs (typically parsley, mixed herbs and paprika)

Break and carefully separate the whites of FOUR eggs adding the yolks to the mixture and keeping the whites in a bowl.  Break the other two eggs and add them all to the mix.

Mix up the ingredients. If the mix is too wet then add a few extra breadcrumbs from the second pack.

Lightly whip the separate egg whites in a bowl.

Place some flour on one plate and the remaining breadcrumbs on  another.

Form the mix into sausage shapes. Roll them in the white flour then dip them in the whipped egg and finally roll them in the breadcrumbs.

Place the finished sausages on a baking tray and drizzle a small amount of olive oil on them.

Bake in an oven at gas mark 7 for 25 mins turning occasionally.

Serve with potatoes and green beans.
  •  

Constance

McEncheese

Basically, Mac and Cheese but the name is a visual joke based on my last name.

1 1-pound bag of elbow macaroni, farfalini, or other small pasta
4 cups broth (I usually use chicken broth)
1 2-cup package shredded cheddar cheese
the Blessed Trinity (garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika)
Parsley and/or Chives
fresh ground black pepper (optional)

Bring the broth to a boil and season to taste with the Blessed Trinity. Add the pasta. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, till the pasta is cooked. It might be necessary to put a lid on the pod to keep too much of the liquid from boiling off.

When the pasta is done, turn off the heat. Dump in the cheese and stir till it's melted and well mixed. Sprinkle the parsley and/or chives over the top and stir again.

A few twists of the peppermill is a nice touch, too.

I always use dried pasta for this one. It ends up absorbing the flavors of the broth and the Trinity.

Constance

3-2-1 Sauce

This is one of my own, based on something I'd read about in Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat  by Naomi Moriyama. She described a condiment that was made of rice vinegar and soy sauce. I experimented and this was what I came up with.

3 parts rice vinegar
2 parts soy sauce
1 part mirin

I use in on salads, rice, meat, fish, veggies, and just about anything I'd sprinkle soy sauce on.

4-3-2-1 Sauce

This is one is based on my 3-2-1 sauce, and it's a bit odd.

4 parts rice vinegar
3 parts soy sauce
2 parts mirin
1 part Worcestershire

As this one is a bit stronger than the 3-2-1 sauce, I usually use this with food that is a little stronger in flavor, too.

cynthialee

Chocolate cake!!!!

Ingredients
•1 cup margarine
•1 3/4 cups white sugar
•3 eggs
•1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•1 1/2 cups milk
•2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
•6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
•1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
•1 teaspoon salt
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2.In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3.Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Janet_Girl

Ooooooooooo    Cake challenge.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Eggless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups water
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Pour into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Dust with confectioners sugar.  Or creme cheese frosting.
  •  

bellbell

Random Curry:

2-3 bars Golden Curry brand curry spice bars

1 can tomatoes w/ juice ~or~ 3-4 fresh Roma tomatoes

1 small head bok choy

a few large spinich leaves

leeks(desired amount)

vegetable broth

olive oil

a pinch of each: cinnomin, clove, nutmeg (a SMALL pinch)

Directions:

(if using fresh tomatoes, slice the ends off and cut think slices and let them simmer in a small bit of broth, enough broth that it leaves a bit extra when done and cook long enough to make the tomatoes lightly tender)

in a small pot, add just enough olive oil to make pretty much a film of oil, and add the curry bars, stirring as they melt. add sliced spinach, bok choy, and leeks, stirring well for about 30 seconds-1 minute. add about 1/3 cup of broth and the spices and stir till most of the broth has reduced then add tomatoes. cook for about 3-5 mins, stirring often. serve over rice or couscous.

note: you can use lots of different vegis and such, this is just what i had on hand :P another great addition is chickpeas; 1 can, drain and rinse and add to a pot of water and bring to a boil, when at a boil, boil for about 2-3 mins then drain well and add to near finished curry.

servings: about 2

"
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

-- The Dalia Lama
  •  

Rock_chick

Curry Challenge! even better.

Helena's potato and chick pea curry

you will need:
2 small baking potatoes (or one large)
half a large onion
can of chick peas
Hot Madras paste (i buy the veerswamy brand)
tea spoon of marmite
4/6 cloves
2/3 bay leaves
2/3 cardnmon pods
yellow mustard seeds
ground ginger
ground corriander
ground cumin
garam masala
fenugreek
all spice
cinnamon
cumin seeds
fennel seeds
anything else you thing may add flavour.

I've not included measures for the spices because a) I don't know and b) i just add things until it all smells lush.

dice the potatoes (you can peel them if you want) and finely chop the onion.
in a big pan on a high heat coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil (again, i just circle round the pan twice rather than measure anything).
Add the potatoes and onions and fry off...if things stick to the bottom that's good
add the spices in what ever order and quantity you want (i usually leave the cardamon pods and bay leaves until after i've added the liquid.
Fry off of 5 minutes of so constantly stirring (again, doesn't have to be 5 mins, you just don't want the spices to burn...but you do want things to stick to the bottom of the pan and crisp a bit)
add the chick peas after draining and washing them...stir for a few minutes
cover the contents of the pan with water.
add a tea spoon of marmite
add the madras paste to taste (i usually do 3 heaped tea spoons)
stir, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced and the flavour is nice and intense.

serve with boiled wholegrain rice and a nice simple rieta (natural yogurt, chopped mint, chopped cucumber and lemon juice)

Serve and enjoy, marvelling at the fact that you've just had the best curry in the world but with out any dead animal in it.

serves a few people...maybe 4 :laugh:
  •  

rejennyrated

Alison & Jenny's All in one Mars Bar cake.  :icon_birthday:

Ingredients

8 oz self raising flour
8 oz caster sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
8 oz soft butter or margarine
4 large eggs (or 6 smaller ones)
2 large mars bars
4 drops vanilla esssence
¼ jar caramel spread (for centre filling)
¼ jar chocolate spread (for topping)

Equipment

Food mixer.
2 x 8 in cake tins greased.

Method

Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar all into a large bowl.

Add the butter eggs and vanilla and beat with an electric beater to obtain a smooth mix.

Take the mars bars, chop them into very small bits and melt over a bain-marie. Alternatively for those who either don't know what a bain-marie is, or can't be bothered to faff about with bowls of boiling water, you can usually melt chocolate in a microwave using the defrost setting, but be careful not to over heat it or it will curdle.

Once the mars bars are melted add them to the cake mix and mix in until smooth.

Take two greased 8 inch cake tins and spoon the mix equally into them.

Bake on gas mark 3 for 33 minutes.

Inspect the sponge being careful NOT to cause drafts when you open and close the over door. It should be done, but if not done then leave for a couple of extra minutes – otherwise remove and turn out the two tins onto a cake rack to cool.

Spread the top of one sponge with caramel spread and then stick them together. Then spread the top of the combined cake with chocolate spread. (For best results it is worth buying the more expensive type of spread which uses real chocolate.)

Serve!

(oh and it is probably best to avoid weighing yourself for about a week afterwards, because it is rather moreish ;D)
  •  

Constance

Kale, Potato, and Sausage Soup

I came up with this as an amalgamation of the Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden and the Kale and Sausage Soup from the Sunset "Homemade Soups" cookbook.

1 pound sausage meat
1 medium russet potato
2 cups kale leaves, coarsely shredded
1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
4 cups chicken or beef broth
1 cup milk

Peel and cut the potato in half lengthwise. Then, cut the potato halves into slices about 1/8 inch thick. Put the potato slices in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till they are just able to be pierced with a fork. Add the kale and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes more. Drain and douse with cold water to stop the cooking.

Brown the sausage meat over medium-high heat. As the fat starts to render, add the shallot. When sausage is cooked through (no longer pink), add the potatoes and kale. Saute for a about 1 to 2 minutes, and add the broth. Heat to near boiling, reduce heat, add the milk and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Princess Rachel

Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms ala Rachel

3 or 4 really big mushrooms
grated cheese

Wash the mushrooms, scrape out the black gills and remove the stalks to create a bowl shape, put the cheese in each bowl shape so that it rises a little over the sides.  place under a low grill for 30 minutes to melt the cheese.  Once melted turn the grill up to full until the cheese goes crispy on top.  Place on a plate and pop in the microwave for 2 minutes, this helps get any residual water out of the mushrooms, eat & enjoy :)

•  

Cindy

Quote from: Princess Rachel on March 21, 2011, 12:50:07 AM
Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms ala Rachel

3 or 4 really big mushrooms
grated cheese

Wash the mushrooms, scrape out the black gills and remove the stalks to create a bowl shape, put the cheese in each bowl shape so that it rises a little over the sides.  place under a low grill for 30 minutes to melt the cheese.  Once melted turn the grill up to full until the cheese goes crispy on top.  Place on a plate and pop in the microwave for 2 minutes, this helps get any residual water out of the mushrooms, eat & enjoy :)

Modification , use a blue vein cheese or a Stilton, yummy.

Cindy
  •  

Cynthia Thomas

Ambrosia Salad

2 cans mandarin oranges
2 cans crushed pineapple
1 1/2 cup coconut
1 pkg small marshmellows
1 pt sour cream

Save the syrup from one can each of the oranges and pineapple.
Slice the mandarin oranges into 3rds.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Let sit overnight in refrigerator to infuse the flavors.

When preparing to serve the next day, stir the salad.  If too dry, add some saved syrup to moisten.

HelenW

My parents immigrated to the US from Germany in 1953, a year and a half before I was born so German food and culture were always a very large part of my growing up. Our neighborhood, Ridgewood, NY, located right on the border between Queens and Brooklyn, was heavily populated by German speaking immigrants. We thus had a good number of stores in the neighborhood that were run by other German immigrants and catered to the local German tastes. There were at least three German butcher shops, wurst (sausage) being an integral part of German cuisine - over 1500 varieties, I read once - at least 2 or three German bakers and more than a few delicatessens. One of the dishes my mom made was Bratwürst, Sauerkraut und Kartoffel (Sauerkraut, sausage and potatoes). The sauerkraut was not just unceremoniously dumped from the jar into a pot for heating, not by a long shot. She had a specific way of cooking it that made it taste so much better. I use her recipe and have added a thing or two as the years have gone by.

First of all, I use Bavarian style sauerkraut. You can tell it's Bavarian if it has caraway seed in it. I buy it in a jar, I think it's 15 oz. I put it in a saucepan and add 1 jar full of water. Some people who don't like it to be too sour may rinse it a bit in a strainer (but not too much!) before placing it the pan but I like it the way it comes out of the jar. I then add one container's worth of water to the pot.

I start that up on medium heat and while it comes to a boil I roughly grate a medium to large sized carrot and toss that in. If there's some in the house I often use a medium carrot and add about 3/4 cup chopped sweet (like a Vidalia or Mayan sweet) onion too. Once it comes to a boil I reduce it to a simmer and go to peel the potatoes.

I use regular white potatoes. I peel, cut into halve or quarters and boil them in salt water. That's all that needs to be done with them. One small, or a half of a larger potatoe is reserved. I grate it using the next to last smallest side of my 4 sided grater. The finely grated potatoe is added to the sauerkraut to cut the sourness and to slightly thicken the water it's cooking in. A little more simmering, a pinch of sugar to balance the sourness and maybe a bit of salt, both to taste, and it's ready for the next step.

While the kraut is simmering I start frying the bratwürst. In my old neighborhood we could get authentic German sausages in more than one place. Nowadays, the closest thing I can find to those bratwürst are locally known as Johnsonville Brats. I like to fry at least three to 5 of them over medium heat in a rather large pan. The pan needs to be large enough to hold the sausages as well as the sauerkraut. A braising pan would be ideal. I fry the sausages and might even pierce them in a couple places to let some of the fats run out. When they are well browned and thoroughly cooked, I push them to the side of the pan and dump the pot of sauerkraut in. After the noise and steam quiets I stir and deglaze the pan with the sauerkraut.

I serve the sauerkraut over the boiled potatoes, mashed by a fork on the plate, with a brat or two on the side. Beer is almost a requirement as an accompaniment.

I eat it by having a slice of sausage and a bit of the kraut and potato on my fork for each bite.  The spicy/sour/sweet/creamy combination of flavors and textures combine to make a lovely sensation every time.  I've given this recipe to a number of people and they all said they loved it.  I hope you do too!
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Yakshini

Quote from: Janet Lynn on January 18, 2011, 04:10:59 PM
Ooooooooooo    Cake challenge.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Eggless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups water
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Pour into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Dust with confectioners sugar.  Or creme cheese frosting.
How does leaving out eggs in the recipe affect the texture of the cake? I know there are substitutes for eggs in recipes for vegans, but I've never tried vegan baked good before (aside from brownies, which were delicious!). Brownies have a totally different texture from cake, though.
  •  

Janet_Girl

It does have a tendency to dry out quicker, but it is absolutely fabulous.
  •  

Constance

Grilled Bok Choy

I do this in a grill pan on the stove, as I don't actually have BBQ.

3 or 4 small bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
salt to taste
scallion oil

Place the bok choy cut side up in a large dish. Drizzle with the scallion oil and sprinkle with salt. Let them stand for about 15 minutes.

Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Add the bok choy cut/oiled side down. Grill for about 5 minutes or until they're cooked through.

HelenW

Here's a recipe for some tasty dinner rolls:

Potato Rosemary Rolls

•   1 potato, cooked and mashed (about 4 to 5 oz)
•   1 lb (3 1/2 cups) bread or all-purpose unbleached flour (or ½ lb bread and ½ lb whole wheat)
•   ¾ - 1½ cup water (you can use the water the potato was boiled in)
•   1½ teaspoons instant yeast (aka bread machine yeast)
•   1 teaspoon salt
•   1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
•   1 tablespoon dried rosemary or 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
•   ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
•   1 teaspoon ground sage leaves

Cook the potato until soft, either by boiling or baking in the oven or microwave. If you boil the potato, reserve a cup and a half of the cooled potato water to add to the loaf.  Mash the potato thoroughly.  Removing the skin prior to mashing is optional: if you are using tough skinned potatoes like russets, remove them, but with soft skinned potatoes such as Yukon gold or red potatoes you may leave them on.  The chopped up skin add nice color and texture to your rolls.

Combine the flour, mashed potato, yeast, salt, pepper, butter and herbs in a large bowl.  Add about ¾ to 1 cups water and knead or mix for 5 to 10 minutes, adding more water or flour until a consistency you are comfortable working with is reached.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a moist towel and let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, typically 60 to 90 minutes.

Remove the dough from the bowl, gently degas it, and shape it. For rolls or buns you can weigh them if you like or just eyeball them (about 3 – 4 oz each for dinner rolls is good, 4½ to5 oz for hamburger rolls).  Place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment, place the entire sheet in a plastic trash bag or cover with an oiled piece of plastic wrap, and set it aside to rise for approximately an hour again.

While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  (Mine came out rather pale at 375º with convection.  The initial ten minutes might be better at 425 – 450º for a darker and crispier crust then dropping it to 375º, or you can brush them with an egg wash.)

If you have a spritzer, spray the top of the rolls with water right before placing them in the oven. Place them in the center rack and bake them for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan 180 degrees and bake them for another 10 to 20 minutes, depending on size. My large hamburger bun sized rolls took close to half an hour to bake. You'll know they are done when the bottom of the rolls is solid and slightly crispy. If you have a probe thermometer, check the temperature inside one of the rolls. When the internal temperature is approaching 200 degrees F, they are ready to pull out of the oven.

This recipe always generates praise from the people who have tried them.  Enjoy!!
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

mimpi

Beef Rendang (Rendang means cooked in coconut milk)

This is a really good recipe but go easy on the sambal (hot paste). Would write it out but this is a fantastic video (music aside) and also has links to many other Indonesian and Asian recipes: http://www.youtube.com/user/IndonesianFoods#p/u/37/zB4RvzJJf5w

•  

Pippa

Pippa's Mediteranean Sausage stew (serves 4 - 6)

6 Spicy sausages (such as Tolouse sausages)
1 spicy chorizo
2 large red peppers
2 large green peppers
4 large tomatoes
1 red onion
1/2 pt chicken stock
Basil and oregano to taste
1 Tablespoon garlic infused olive oil

1.   Chop the onion into strips
2.   Deseed the peppers and chop into large chunks
3.   Quarter the tomatoes
4.   Place the vegetables in a large roasting pan
5.   Fry off the Toulouse sausages in the garlic enfused oil ( large frying pan please)
6.   Cop the Chorizo into chunks
7.   Cut the spicy sausages into chunks and add the Chorizo to the pan.
8.   Fry the Chorizo and spicy sausages until the Chorizo releases it's oil.
9.   Add the contents of the frying pan to the vegetables ( including the oil for the garlic flavour)
10.  Mix the sausages through the vegetables and add the stock.
11.  Add oregano and basil to taste.
12.  Add a pinch of salt and black pepper
13.  Place in a preheated oven for 40 mins at 180 degrees Celcius

This is best served with boiled long grain rice
  •