News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Could Use Some Help Please

Started by Kristara, January 19, 2011, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristara

Hello all!
We are a couple of girls working on a project to increase the access and avaliability of healthcare for transgendered clients around our area. We work with an organization that provides HIV services in a very depressed urban area.
We have been doing research on trans issues, but would like some real life experiences, from people. If you have the time, desire, whatever to answer a few questions for us, we would appreciate it. If this is inappropriate, let me know. You can PM us if you do not feel comfortable talking about it here.

Have you faced discrimination from healthcare professionals? What kind? What happened?

What would make a healthcare professional "trans friendly" to you?

Would you consider going to a healthcare professional who is open to learning about trans issues, even if you feel that you have to educate them?

What are some questions you would ask a doctor to determine whether or not they would be trans friendly?
We are also planning on creating some educational materials or education programs for healthcare professionals regarding trans issues, what would you want healthcare professionals to know?
Anything else
?

Of course, we realize that there are so many other issues and that this is only scratching the surface, but again, we have limited funding and are trying to do what we can. Seriously, if we had our way, it would be more than this. If you have suggestions for other programs that would help, we'd love to hear them!
Thank you.
  •  

Robert Scott

Are you in the Twins City?  Every May they host a medical transgender health conference and those issue are covered by medical providers -- very educational

Have you faced discrimination from healthcare professionals? What kind? What happened?
No -- just started transitioning though

Wiling to treat and refer to me in the correct gender --- understands i hate my body and have physicals done is the most horrific experience especially papsmears -- knows that taking hormones is not a choice but a necessity & doesn't discourage it but helps me manage all my other problems so taking the hormone is okay

Would you consider going to a healthcare professional who is open to learning about trans issues, even if you feel that you have to educate them?

Yes and I do ... my doctor does not handle transgender issues -- however when I told her I was trans she was okay with that -- she located a doctor who prescribes hormones & asked permission to share information -- she found a list of recommended therapists - she has only had one other trans patient

What are some questions you would ask a doctor to determine whether or not they would be trans friendly?We are also planning on creating some educational materials or education programs for healthcare professionals regarding trans issues, what would you want healthcare professionals to know?
Anything else?

How many GLBT patients do you see?  Have you had training on handling the GLBT community medical issues/concerns?  Are you okay with having a transgender patient

•  

Miniar

First up,..
I hail from Iceland.
I don't know what it is exactly 'round here, but "most" folk don't seem as judgmental as those I keep hearing about from, well, everywhere else, and undeniably colours my responses.
(In other words, after this you'll all wish you lived here.)

So far, no.
I have met some ignorance, but not in any form of hostility.
Those healthcare workers that I've met who are meeting their first transsexuals have apologized for their ignorance, asked questions in a "if you don't mind" and "no offense" manner, and made every effort on their part to get pronouns right (though the occasional slip-up does happen).

The above really.
Meeting a transsexual as if they are human beings. Making an effort to treat them with dignity, even if the curiosity can sometimes get the upper hand. Things like that.
So far, I've found them friendly here.

Example; The head of the "women's" part of the local hospital, who did my hysterectomy, refers to me consistently in the male gender, using male pronouns all the way, calls me by my preferred name even if it hasn't been legally changed yet, and was very quick and "factual" doing the required checkups before hand, and offered me to skip the stirrups after, making me promise to come back if I ever thought I might possibly have any reason to be at all concerned for anything down there.

Well, I kind-of have to educate every professional I go to, what with being the first trans-person a lot of these folks meet, but I don't mind at all, as they are open minded, professional, and polite.

What are some questions you would ask a doctor to determine whether or not they would be trans friendly?
I honestly don't know. I introduce myself and explain my situation (I'm a trans-man, I'm going through the sex-correction-process*).
So far, no problem has come of this what so ever.

We are also planning on creating some educational materials or education programs for healthcare professionals regarding trans issues, what would you want healthcare professionals to know?
Basic information of what a trans-person is, what the process is, just so I wouldn't have to explain this every single time.
And for our foreign friends, a reminder of the simple fact that their personal beliefs aside, a trans-person is a human being, deserving of the same care and respect as anyone else. That there's no defense for treating someone with disrespect.
Transsexuals are parents, children, husbands and wives, lovers, etcetera, just like everyone else.
We're normal people who just happen to have to deal with a physical "unusualness".

Anything else?
I think this is a brilliant thing you're doing.
Hope it helps someone find the respect I can rely on over here.

*Yep, that's the accurate translation of what transition is called in Icelandic.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Kristara

This is all awesome feedback THANK YOU!! We really appreciate your input and will be using it as we build this program.   :)

Rob- The non-profit we work for is actually located in Flint, Michigan.

Miniar- Hope that someday the healthcare system here in the United States can be as open-minded and respectful as it sounds like it is in Iceland! Either way, your responses still help us in our project!
  •  

JessicaR

Yes. I was hospitalized for a few days on two separate occasions. Although the hopsital had a policy of having two, same sex patients per room, they had a female patient move so they could put me in a room by myself. I even explained that I had been on HRT for 5 years and was completely non-functional as male but they segregated me anyway stating, "It's just best for everyone." That was a really lonely 3 days.

After coming out to him, a psychiatrist once informed me that he would be unable to treat "that part" of me and that he would continue to identify me as male. I got up and walked out.

After asking a potential primary care doctor, I asked if she felt comfortable treating a Transsexual woman. Her reply, "I don't see a problem... I will, however treat you as a man."

First, (and this is for Gay folks, too) they need to change their sign in/check in forms to be more inclusive. There should be more than two choices in the "sex" box! Until GRS, I'll continue to write in a "T" along with the M and F. They also need to get rid of "Mother" and "Father" on the forms and replace them with two spots for parent's names.

Absolutely! My therapist had never treated a Transsexual person before; I introduced gender identity concepts to her that she had no previous knowledge of and she started her own research. After a few years, she wound up writing my approval letter for GRS.

*Have you ever continuously treated any Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual persons?
*Have you ever treated a Transsexual patient?
*Do you have any religious beliefs  that might cause a conflict of interest in treating me?
*Are you comfortable with my being on HRT and would you feel qualified to prescribe HRT meds?
*Are you comfortable with identifying me as (male or female) even though my present anatomy is inconsistent with that gender?
*If and when the time comes, are you comfortable in providing documentation about my transition process to insurance companies, other doctors or mental health practitioners, GRS surgeons, etc.

I'd like it stated that Transwomen need to be treated as women and Transmen treated as men.. period! We're not confused and we don't see therapists to try and "cure" our Transsexuality. We do have a unique set of potential health problems that can arise, sometimes related to HRT. HRT is not optional for most of us so don't even think about suggesting we stop it unless you have a damn good reason.
  Also, I would include a request for a basic education for staff that outlines what a Transsexual person is along with a short glossary of words one might hear when speaking about the subject.

Real conversation with a nurse at the E.R. after attempting self-castration:

Nurse: "When was your last period?"
Me: "I don't get them ....I'm Transsexual."
Nurse: "Oh, okay..." (writes something down)   "Is there any chance that you're pregnant?"
Me: "As neat a trick as that would be, no. I'm Transsexual.... I still have male genitals."
Nurse: (Looks at me like I have 3 heads) "Oh.... that's unusual.... were you born that way?"
Me: "Yes"
Nurse: "So you never had periods...  did you have them at one time and they stopped?"
Me: "No, I never had them.... I'm genetically male!
Nurse: "Well why didn't you say that in the first place?"

Anything else?

The above conversation blew me away.... It's a simple fact that the only exposure to Transgender people most health care workers have had is the Jerry Springer Show or that awful RuPaul nonsense. We need a widespread effort, state by state, town by town, to get accurate information into every healthcare facility in the country. I admire what you're doing.

•  

Kristara

JessicaR,

Thank you for sharing! You have had some rough experiences with the healthcare system. Hearing that really makes this project so much more important to us. We want to make sure that situations like those never happen to anyone and that every transgendered person is treated like the human beings they are.
  •