Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Would you prevent your child from being TG?

Started by Debtv, August 27, 2005, 11:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If they figured out how to monitor your womans hormornal wash to prevent your child from being tg...would you do it? Why?

Yes, I would want to prevent my child from being tg.
No, I'd rather let nature take it's course.

Rock_chick

Quote from: pixiegirl on January 01, 2011, 12:13:15 PM
Can you imagine an internet flooded with blowhole op pics?

All too easily...I expect the adult entertainment industry would have a field day with it as well
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: Jennifer on January 02, 2011, 08:17:41 PM
I was confused and suffered for 50 years, is that not bad?

Your experiences are not universal.

QuoteIt is called a disorder, is that not bad?

Homosexuality was still classified as a disorder not that long ago.

QuoteIt has been referred to as a birth defect, is that not bad?

It has? Not by any medical establishment I know of. That sounds more like a quote from someone's trans narrative. Not a universal experience.

QuoteGetting beat up at school, is that not bad?

Many would say that it 'builds character'. In my experience, the kids who were beat up at school end up being the nicest, most compassionate people.

QuoteThe suicide rate for TG folk is about 3,000 times the national average, is that not bad?

Is that a result of being TG or the result of how TG people are treated? Think carefully before you answer.

QuoteWhy seek therapy if it is not bad?

I sought therapy because it was a requirement. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

QuoteWhy do we take expensive and dangerous hormones for the rest of our lives if it is not bad?

You're under the wrong health system and on the wrong hormones if that's the case, honey.

QuoteWhy have risky, painful and expensive SRS surgery to change something that is not bad?

Because it is required for society to see TG people as their correct gender.

QuoteWhy do we have painful and expensive laser treatments and cosmetic surgeries to change something if it is not bad?

What laser treatment? What cosmetic surgeries? As we transition younger, these have become less necessary. I've had neither.

QuoteBeing ostracized by society, broken marriages, disowned by family, are these things not bad?

Again, is that a result of being TG or the result of how TG people are treated?

QuoteIf I could easily keep my child from going through all this (which is how I interpreted the question) I would do it in a heartbeat, but that's just me. :)

I'd prefer to build a world where being transgender isn't a big deal.
But I'm well known for taking the tougher option  :)
  •  

Karla

I'd prefer for my child ( ::) ) to be born cis-gendered from the stard (but not after it's been "corrected" after they discovered the TG trait..).

I would have liked to have been spared this whole trans fate if my parents had a choice, but maybe that would have been a totally different person that was born  and not me. Idk.
  •  

japple

I'd prevent it, but what does preventing it mean? If the child was to be born M2F does preventing it mean they're born F? A little science in utero seems better than a lifetime of science later.

I don't buy the slippery slope of right wingers making it a requirement.  Inter-sexed conditions are LESS treated/corrected now than in the past.  All kinds of diseases can be detected and can be aborted in utero but society doesn't mandate any of them.
  •  

cynthialee

Japple;
We have researchers out there who are activly looking for the gay gene. Specificaly so that parents have 'more options'.

We have preachers who are anti abortion say that if the gay gene is found, that abortion in that case would be justified.

Don't think that if they find a trans gene or combination of them that some parents won't abort.

My fear is that we are soon to be a dieing breed. Mother nature does things for a reason. ...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

japple

Quote from: cynthialee on January 03, 2011, 12:37:37 PM
Japple;
We have researchers out there who are activly looking for the gay gene. Specificaly so that parents have 'more options'.

I am very pro-science and know that eugenics is always an issue. Though, finding a gay genetic markers if they exist would be far better for society as it exists than not.  The more we know and understand the better off we'll be, even if the answers aren't what we want them to be.  Information is power.  Look at the differences between being young and trans now from when you were a child.  Mother Nature does things for a reason..mutation and natural selection.  If science is able to determine who is trans early and can apply the correct hormones in Utero or give people their proper male or female puberty, I'm all for it.  I can't imagine there are many trans men or women who wouldn't go back and start HRT at 12 instead of 19 or 40 if they knew then what they know now.

•  

MillieB

I said no and I think that it's the word 'prevent' that weirds me out as it makes me think of something that would stop me being trans and therefore be male. :o I can't think of anything worse than this as you are really messing with who people are supposed to be.

However, if they could have identified that I was going to be trans and could prevent this by allowing me to develop as female then, yes I can see the benefit in that and it would certainly have made things a lot easier. I do have problems with the whole genetic engineering issue, not from a philosophical standpoint as I can see huge benefits but I just don't trust the ethics of those in charge.
  •  

heatherrose

Absolutely no part of being "TG" has ever been pleasant for me and I am quite sure I am not in the minority in saying this.
I would much rather have been born exihibiting the primary sexual characteristics with which I identify. Instead of wasting time, energy and emotion,
for the last forty something years dealing or not with this crap. "TG, TS," or what ever, is not some sort of badge of courage that I wear,
Trans is the journey from one state to another. I am not "A Transgender", "A Transsexual" or what have you, I am a woman who
was not born with the correct primary sexual characteristics. I would do everything in my power and use every tool or proceedure
at my disposal to ensure that my dear sweet child would not have to deal with the same GID BS that I have.
"I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?" - Fred Rogers
  •  

Nemo

One little thing I think has been missed here: the question is asking if you'd prevent your child from being TG.

That could mean anything. TV, cross-dresser, andro or anything else covered by this forum. Not everyone who's TG feels the need to go the HRT/SRS route. If it was possible to detect a TG baby that early, would they then be able to tell what kind of TG? Would they know how to treat the baby so it developed properly? How often do we get frustrated by politicians or other authorities who think they know how to fix a problem when they're actually clueless? How, therefore, would you know that by preventing this development in the baby that you wouldn't make it worse?

Assuming that it would mean giving them the right body from birth - I still wouldn't. Maybe I've just been lucky, but as confusing and painful as it's been, I've also learned so much. I've become less judgemental, more understanding and more angry at the bigots ruining it for what are, at the end of the day, just people trying to live their lives.

There was a period recently where I kept having this dream, where I was fully transitioned, married and we'd gone for IVF. The resulting baby was intersex, and I'd end up in an argument with the docs who wanted us to "choose a gender" for the baby. Among my argument was "how is it I have to jump through all these hoops for surgery, yet you're perfectly happy to do this on a child who's too young to choose for hirself?" Don't know why or where that even came from, but this thread just reminded me of it *shrug*

New blog in progress - when I conquer my writer's block :P
  •  

Just Shelly

Quote from: heatherrose on January 11, 2011, 05:07:28 AM

Absolutely no part of being "TG" has ever been pleasant for me and I am quite sure I am not in the minority in saying this.
I would much rather have been born exihibiting the primary sexual characteristics with which I identify. Instead of wasting time, energy and emotion,
for the last forty something years dealing or not with this crap. "TG, TS," or what ever, is not some sort of badge of courage that I wear,
Trans is the journey from one state to another. I am not "A Transgender", "A Transsexual" or what have you, I am a woman who
was not born with the correct primary sexual characteristics. I would do everything in my power and use every tool or proceedure
at my disposal to ensure that my dear sweet child would not have to deal with the same GID BS that I have.
I have nothing else to add, you read my mind.  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Now if this poll DIDN'T ask if it could be prevented beforehand, I would support my child 1000% and make sure they get the help they need EARLY on, for the EXACT same reasons you mentioned.

I am in fear for this for one of my children as I speak, I do alot of questioning.

This is a BIG reason I have a hard tome coming out.

•