Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Feels weird wearing a wig...

Started by amybenedict, February 01, 2011, 06:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amybenedict

Hi Folks

I am still at the very early stages of my transition, and I have just started going out and about whilst dressed. I have found that I feel really self concious if I am wearing a wig, but if I am not, and am just wearing girls clothes I don't feel in the slightest bit uncomfortable. Has anyone else found this? I'm not exactly surprised by it, but it was a little unexpected.

I think it is because I feel like I am somehow pretending to be someone else whilst wearing a wig, as if I am hiding behind it, whereas when I am just me in girls clothes, then that somehow seems more honest.

I am seeing my therapist on thursday so I will see what they think but I would be interested to hear what anyone else's early days experiences were like.

Amy.x

•  

Dana Lane

I put a wig on once and was like no freaking way! I felt so disconnected from it. But then again I have a full head of hair and grew it out. If I did have less than a full head of hair I would wear one and I suppose get used to it.
============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

amybenedict

I am waiting for my hair to grow out at the moment.... :-/

Patience is a virtue, apparently!
  •  

Christy Edwards

I guess as with most TG girls, hair can be an issue. Especially when u r older and there's some thinning. I would rather not have to wear a wig, but for now I must. Although since being on HRT, my hair has improved alot. That is one reason I am considering FFS and to lower my hair line. But then again if u think about it, there's lots of genetic women that do wear wigs. Has alot to do with wig selection and the quality....
  •  

amybenedict

Hi Christy

I'm not planning on going full time until the autumn, so I can get the majority of my facial hair sorted, and hopefully my hair will have grown a bit by then, although given that it is curly, it tends to grow outwards before it grows downwards! Hopefully I will be on HRT by the beginning of summer... I think the wig is inevitable, at least in the short term.

I am planning (and saving) for FFS as well, with a hairline recontouring and some grafts to level it off a bit too. I'm 36 and whilst my hair isnt thinning, it has gone back a little at the temples, and I have always had a forehead you could land a helicopter on... :-(

•  

MarinaM

That's a wig in my avatar. Wigs can be alot of fun, but I have a full head of curly hair that I can grow out, and I will. Just try to find one that's versatile and let it do what it can for you.  :)
  •  

amybenedict

Hi Marina

I actually saw your picture on a post a couple of days ago and thought, If I could only find a wig like that girls hair!. You look great, and really pretty in your picture. :-) I will continue the wig search... :-)

Amy.x
  •  

MarinaM

Quote from: amybenedict on February 01, 2011, 12:27:41 PM
Hi Marina

I actually saw your picture on a post a couple of days ago and thought, If I could only find a wig like that girls hair!. You look great, and really pretty in your picture. :-) I will continue the wig search... :-)

Amy.x

;D Thanks! Good luck!
  •  

Janet_Girl

I wore one for a while.  Till mine grew out.  Some of us will always need them.  Mostly because of MPB.
  •  

Epigania

When I started experimenting with living mostly full time I bought several rather expensive natural hair wigs in attempt to feel more natural looking ...

That didn't work.  They always looked like wigs and were very uncomfortable in warm weather.

That's when I started growing out my hair and have been pretty happy since.   

I would say, if you have hair that is fairly full, just grow it out. 

ClaireA

Quote from: Dana Lane on February 01, 2011, 08:50:20 AM
I put a wig on once and was like no freaking way! I felt so disconnected from it. But then again I have a full head of hair and grew it out. If I did have less than a full head of hair I would wear one and I suppose get used to it.
Same here! Mind you, it was a cheap wig and I was only 16, but I just said no way.

Now I'm kicking myself because I got my hair cut last July - combine that 8 inches with the six I have now, it'd be perfect!
21 22 and loving life! (yuk. i hate getting old!)

•  

carolinejeo

I feel really sorry for those girls who have no choice.

I know someone whose hair had passed the point of no return before deciding to transition. She has a lovely wig but it is so restricting.

I count myself as one of the lucky ones.

Caroline
Procrastination is your worst enemy.
  •  

Debra

Yes I wore a wig for the first 4 months of transition. I got used to it but once I didn't need it anymore, WOW I felt so much better....less fake. ;) Same with ditching the breast forms.

•  

Epigania

Quote from: Jerica on February 02, 2011, 03:24:18 PM
Yes I wore a wig for the first 4 months of transition. I got used to it but once I didn't need it anymore, WOW I felt so much better....less fake. ;) Same with ditching the breast forms.

I'll second that!   The forms went pretty quickly for me.   I won't get into it, but I feel so much more free and natural without all of those, for lack of a better word, masks to hide behind.

Might just be me, though.

Kaelleria

Wigs were super uncomfortable for me. Natural hair is so much better.
Ahh breastforms... I still have my homemade breast forms floating around somewhere. Surprisingly they did quite well for being rice, lol.

The above ticker is meant as a joke! Laugh! Everyone knows the real zombie apocalypse isn't until 12/21/12....
  •  

Jillieann Rose

If you can get the right ones they are fun to wear and can change the way you look.
A bounce blond one minute and a very respectable brunet the next.
Many women use them with different outfits for a different look.
If you don't have time to get your hair done they can be a god sent.  ;)
Oh, I'm not wearing a wig in my avatar.
Jillieann
  •  

Cindy

•  

Janet_Girl

depending on your hair situation, you can use toupĂ©e tape to hold a wig in place.  Or even wig adhesive.  Which does help to make them feel more like it is your hair.
  •  

Christy Edwards

Hi Amy, if u dont mind me asking, where did u get ur's? It does look great...U and I are same age and u do look great...
  •  

Lacey Lynne

Quote from: CindyJames on February 03, 2011, 01:36:23 AM
I don't have a choice ::)

Ditto that here, Babes ... sigh.

The dang wigs are THE reason I haven't gone full-time yet.  Besides being uncomfortable and a hassle, you think it's not a transition hassle?  Bet I'll stump you all with this one:

I work out at L.A. Fitness.  In just a few days, I'm 1 year and 2 months on HRT.  Obviously, I'm in major androgyne mode.  Yeah, I had my ears pierced on 9 January 2011, present in guy's pants, watch, cell phone belt case but wear girl's sweaters and girl's low-platform sandal's with an anklet.  Oh, yeah:  Breasts ahoy!  They're nearly B cups now.  Mind you, I MUST wear the wig.

Okay, crew:

How the sam hell do I use the ladies' locker room at L.A. Fitness without freaking out the biobabes?  Remember, I'm sweating like heck under the wig, must change clothes, use the restroom, etcetera.  While I'm still using the guys' locker room, it's an uptight scene ... bad vibes.  No hassles ... yet.  My wearing gals body mists and fragrances isn't helping either ... in there.  Gotta get outta there, but how?  Bet I've stumped you with this one!

Anyway, I see "The Reidster" (Portland's Best Gender Therapist) in 5 weeks to document my starting RLE/RLT to proceed toward my SRS/GRS letter and to get a carry letter.  Yeah, I'm going full-time in April 2011.  Still don't know WHAT I'm gonna do about L.A. Fitness and the ladies' locker room!

HELP!  ANY IDEAS?  TELL ME!

???   Lacey
Believe.  Persist.  Arrive.    :D

Julie Vu (Princess Joules) Rocks!  "Hi, Sunshine Sparkle Faces!" she says!
  •