Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Learning an Instrument: Self Teaching, or Lessons?

Started by Yakshini, February 16, 2011, 10:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yakshini

Years ago from about ages 11 to 13, I played the Alto Saxophone. My step-dad did not allow me to continue playing the Saxophone because he considered it to be a noisy, annoying horn. Though I still have the saxophone, it requires some minor repairs like dent repair, buffing out scratches, and new key pads.
I personally consider knowing how to play a musical instrument well to be a very desirable talent to have. I remember the basics of playing the saxophone, but I have been putting some serious thought into picking up my Noisy, Annoying Horn again. There are a few things I have been wondering about learning an instrument when you are no longer in school.
For those of you that are avid musicians, I have some questions.
1. Were you self-taught or did you get lessons from a professional?
2. How would you rate your skill level?
3. What would you say are the benefits of lessons or self teaching?
  •  

tekla

I think the benefit of lessons are that you are more motivated to practice and really work on it rather than shine it on, and you're required to really work the basics, where doing it yourself tends to be a more lax discipline and you want to skip to the fun parts and not do the basics.  But most of the time I walk backstage into the area where the dressing rooms are what I hear are the guitarists running scales and the vocalists doing the training exercises because that's the stuff that makes the good ones good.

I got lessons
I suck
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Eve of chaos

I self taught myself the guitar. and Im really good at some things but not so great at others. hard to explain but anyway If you can afford It i really recommend lessons. having someone to help you with your personal struggle will be a godsend trust me.

sure I can rock out some pretty intense solos on the guitar but In all honesty I don't know any scales. and I can tell its holding me back. lessons would've helped me build a stronger foundation.

\I'd also like to say I used to play the alto sax. i ended up pawning it for a new guitar though :p.

Yakshini

I actually own two guitars, one is just a crappy acoustic from WalMart, the other is an electric guitar that my grandmother gave to me that she had as a teenager. Turns out I am completely hopeless when it comes to learning guitar. But I REALLY want to learn to play the violin as well. If I can't play guitar, is there any hope for me playing violin?
  •  

Scarlett86

Guitar- which I haven't put enough time into... yet

1. Were you self-taught or did you get lessons from a professional? - Self taught

2. How would you rate your skill level? - Not good to okay

3. What would you say are the benefits of lessons or self teaching?  Self teaching is better, you aren't restricted by certain genres or methods of playing based on lessons.  I've seen people who take lessons that can only play certain types of music, and I've seen people who haven't that are more versatile.
  •  

Michael Joseph

Instrument- Guitar

1. Self taught or professional? Both. I started off teaching myself, learned a little bit, took lessons for about 3 months, quit and started teaching myself again.

2. Alright

3. Slef taught vs. lessons- I think it depends on what type of learner you are. I would prefer teaching myself than being told this is how its done. Like with math, I usually dont understand it how the teacher explains it, but if I look at it and figure out by myself how it works, I learn better that way, so I guess its up to you.

Renate

I don't have any experience/knowledge of saxophone and how it compares with guitar.

Still, it seems to me that the variety of styles/techniques with acoustic/electric guitar is much broader.
I think that a problem with guitar lessons is a "one size fits all" attitude.
If you are going to become a professional musician I don't think that this is a bad thing.
If you are learning to play just to amuse yourself it can be a bit wasteful.

1) I had lessons as a kid. Later in life I tried to have a few lessons to progress but the instructor was of a one-track mind
and wasn't showing me anything that I wanted to learn.

2) My skill level? I play an hour or two every day. I can play without thinking. I've gotten tips for playing.

3) Having somebody showing you the well-trod paths with an instrument can save you a lot of time and make the way easier. Having them give you tours of areas that you are not interested in can be a waste of time.

Summary: If you are just starting out, generic lessons are helpful. Once you determine your style, find somebody who will acknowledge this and help you develop in your way. If you want to be a professional session musician start doing scales.
  •  

tekla

I try to distinguish between someone who wants to sit around the campfire and strum Kumbaya and Michael Row the Boat Ashore and people who want to seriously play, and playing seriously starts with being able to sight read music.  The ability to jam starts with running scales until you can run them in your sleep, and then running them some more.  Any level of real skill demands an obsessive-compulsive need to practice that is constantly being met.

I worked with some Majordomos this last summer, and since it was the acoustic stage I had nothing to do except to hang there and watch and listen to them.  I'd watch them go something like "well it goes like that up to the fifth measure and then we go down a third and then into the minor until after the chorus and then we resolve."  And just like that they could play the damn song together.  I was thinking it would take me months and months to learn how to do what they understood in in a couple of seconds.  If I didn't love those guys so much I would have hated them.

Oh yeah, masters teach masters.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Renate

I'm not saying that I'm anywhere in the same league as the people that you were listening to, Tekla,
but I've been in any number of groups of players where somebody plays and everybody just joins in.
"Yup, it sounds like a major 2nd is coming up."

For the record: I haven't yet mastered Kumbaya.
Somebody from Nashville told me it started out 1-4-1-5, but somebody else said it was I-IV-I-V.
  •  

V M

Started trying to figure out the guitar as a result of injury as a kid and basically it was something to do to while away the time

Took a few lessons but quickly decided I could learn more on my own... Played in various bands and met some now famous people along the way

I think I play okay or average although some folks tell me I'm pretty darned good... I just play for my own enjoyment these days so it doesn't really matter anymore
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Kay

1. Were you self-taught or did you get lessons from a professional? 
--I had lessons on flute in 5th and 6th grade.  My parents didn't have the money to continue to rent the instrument, so I taught myself French Horn, Cornet, Basson, Oboe, Sax, Trombone,  and Clarinet...whatever the band had open.    Later I went on to major in music in college.  Had private lessons in French Horn and  Piano, and class lessons in just about everything else.
2. How would you rate your skill level? 
--Decent.  9th grade level on most band instruments, only the bare-bones basics on the strings, and college level on the French Horn.  I haven't played in a while though, so it would take me some practice to undo the rust.
3. What would you say are the benefits of lessons or self teaching?

It all depends on what you're looking to achieve.  If you're just looking to play in the local community band, you don't need a teacher...just have fun with it.

If you're looking to play better than just a basic level, then I'd probably get a teacher.  Though, be clear and upfront about what you're looking to accomplish.  A lot of inexperienced teachers only know how to run you through a book on a weekly basis...something you can do yourself after a trip to the music store for the lesson book.  When you talk to the prospective teacher the first time, make it an interview to see if they can meet your needs to fill the position.    Most of the major  things you would need a teacher for at the beginning are to correct physical habits (from how you hold the horn, embochure issues, breathing issues, tongue placement issues, etc) until you get more skilled.  After that their job is more about listening and correcting what you do musically/technically with the music itself, and about pushing your boundaries/skill-level.
You played for two years.  How serious were you?  Did you learn how to form a proper embouchure (and do you remember any of it ;)  )?  That's the foundation for how you play...and if the foundation is horrible, the rest will be too.  If you have airy tone or sound like a goose, you may want to have a teacher run through embouchure basics with you.  (provided the sax doesn't have leaks (which will cause squeaking and possibly an airy tone), you're not using a reed that's too soft (like a #1, which could sound like a sloppy goose) or a reed that's too hard (like a #4, which could get airy...it takes a bit to learn the emboucure control to use the harder reeds.) (I usually started students with a #2, and increased it from there if they could do it without getting airy or tiring quickly.)
If you know what you're looking for, you can find a lot of "do-it-yourself" information on the internet, like here:  http://wiltonelder.com/saxophone-embouchure-five-tips-for-beginners
How well did you learn musical notation?   The beginner lesson books will get you the basics (whole notes, rests, cut-time, etc), but if you want to improvise or learn to play moderate to difficult pieces, you'll want to learn/memorize your scales and arpeggios.  Not something a teacher can help with, it's just rote memorization. 
Hrmm...before I ramble on further, what exactly are your goals?   Teachers can be good for many things that I didn't list here, but to get what you want without wasting a ton of money, you'll need to know where you're going.  While it may be a "desirable talent to have,"  how do you want to use that talent?  Community band?  Jazz Improv?  Solos at your church service?  Duets with your SO?  Just in the privacy of your own home?  Street musician?  And what skill level do you want to achieve? (ie are there any songs/recordings you've heard where you say "I want to learn to play that!")
  •  

Yakshini

Quote from: Kay on February 17, 2011, 09:03:47 PM

You played for two years.  How serious were you?  Did you learn how to form a proper embouchure (and do you remember any of it ;)  )?  That's the foundation for how you play...and if the foundation is horrible, the rest will be too.  If you have airy tone or sound like a goose, you may want to have a teacher run through embouchure basics with you.  (provided the sax doesn't have leaks (which will cause squeaking and possibly an airy tone), you're not using a reed that's too soft (like a #1, which could sound like a sloppy goose) or a reed that's too hard (like a #4, which could get airy...it takes a bit to learn the emboucure control to use the harder reeds.) (I usually started students with a #2, and increased it from there if they could do it without getting airy or tiring quickly.)
If you know what you're looking for, you can find a lot of "do-it-yourself" information on the internet, like here:  http://wiltonelder.com/saxophone-embouchure-five-tips-for-beginners
How well did you learn musical notation?   The beginner lesson books will get you the basics (whole notes, rests, cut-time, etc), but if you want to improvise or learn to play moderate to difficult pieces, you'll want to learn/memorize your scales and arpeggios.  Not something a teacher can help with, it's just rote memorization. 
Hrmm...before I ramble on further, what exactly are your goals?   Teachers can be good for many things that I didn't list here, but to get what you want without wasting a ton of money, you'll need to know where you're going.  While it may be a "desirable talent to have,"  how do you want to use that talent?  Community band?  Jazz Improv?  Solos at your church service?  Duets with your SO?  Just in the privacy of your own home?  Street musician?  And what skill level do you want to achieve? (ie are there any songs/recordings you've heard where you say "I want to learn to play that!")

I actually played for three years. I enjoyed it greatly  and got to be fairly good for my age. It's been so long, I don't remember the details regarding the technical aspects, terms, etc of an instrument. I can sight read music, but in Band class I fell behind due to frequent illness. I would have liked to be more serious with my playing, but like I mentioned, my step-dad did not allow me to play or practice. I'm a fast learner when it comes to art in any form, so learning notations wasn't a problem for me.
It's hard to really explain my goals because, well... I'm not entirely sure exactly why I have such a desire to become a better musician. I'm not the type to show off any talents I have. Music is a beautiful thing, and I love creating things that are beautiful. I especially like jazz and the emotion behind its music, Billie Holiday has always been my favourite. I'd like to be able to play slow, emotional, sultry music. I'd like to develop at least a moderate skill. I would consider playing as a street musician (for entertainment more so than money). I'm the type of person who likes to learn things just to say I know.
  •