Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Dr. Who? Anyone?

Started by Key, February 17, 2011, 10:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

I just read that this is it for the series anyone with insider info
  •  

stephaniec

Is Doctor Who facing cancellation?

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Is-Doctor-Who-facing-cancellation/371080.htm

Entertainment. IE/Story by Brian Lloyd | 10:25 | Sunday 4th October 2015 | TV News

"It may be one of the Trending Topics on Twitter, but Doctor Who's ratings have begun a steady decline in recent months.

The show, which returned to our screens back in 2005, has gone through several Doctors in the meantime with the current iteration, Peter Capaldi, becoming a fan favourite. However, the sci-fi serial's ratings have begun to stagnate and fall below 4,000,000 viewers."

"It may be one of the Trending Topics on Twitter, but Doctor Who's ratings have begun a steady decline in recent months.

The show, which returned to our screens back in 2005, has gone through several Doctors in the meantime with the current iteration, Peter Capaldi, becoming a fan favourite. However, the sci-fi serial's ratings have begun to stagnate and fall below 4,000,000 viewers."

•  

Charley Bea(EmeraldP)

These stories always pop up when a new doctor is getting their feet in the show, never amounts to anything more than a scare tactic, like the stories about Capaldi leaving now that his costar is leaving(spoilers) and to be fair I feel he is too big of a fan of the show to do that. I wouldn't worry about it.

•  

SarahMarie1987

That sounds about right to me as well.

I remember a rumor going around the Internet when Matt Smith was the Doctor. Apparently, he wanted to leave after doing one series (Series 5, I believe). Obviously, that didn't happen. :)

I always wait until there is something official from the BBC or from the actor themselves. Less confusion that way. Lol.
"I'm learning to be brave in my beautiful mistakes"- Pink
  •  

stephaniec

•  

KarynMcD

•  

traci_k

They'd better not kill Clara off, after all she's not had her's and Danny's offspring who looked just like Danny whose grandparents were time travelers.

Do the plot-lines and writing seem a bit scattered this year. Although I haven't missed an episode this year, I'm just not getting the warm fuzzies about the show.

And anyone else think that sonic sunglasses are a STUPID idea?

Still waiting for Bethany also or have I missed her?
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

KarynMcD

Quote from: traci_k on November 24, 2015, 02:48:32 PM
Still waiting for Bethany also or have I missed her?
She was in the previous week's episode. She was the Grunt soldier.

•  

CalmRage

Quote from: KarinMcD on November 25, 2015, 10:36:13 AM
She was in the previous week's episode. She was the Grunt soldier.
that episode was terrible. hell, the entire season was a huge step down.
  •  

SarahMarie1987

Quote from: Zóôt Threepwood on November 26, 2015, 10:11:00 AM
that episode was terrible. hell, the entire season was a huge step down.

Personally, I think this series has been a step up. Lol. Compared to Series 8, it has paid more attention to the whole character of the Doctor. Why he does what he does and the consequences his actions have. Even if he makes a decision for the right reasons (at the time), this season has shown that it has ramifications.

Series 8 was, for me, was just a slog of mediocre episodes that relied to heavily on the companion to lend weight to them. Peter Calpaldi was a great choice for the Doctor, but boy was that series hard to get through. I did like a few episodes and I like that Clara wasn't a special chosen mystery for the Doctor to solve. Which they have kept in (mostly intact) in the Series 9.

(I agree with you that the found footage episode was a mess. It just didn't make sense to me.)

•  

Charley Bea(EmeraldP)

Personally I haven't disliked a single episode this series unlike last series, definitely feels improved this year now that they let Peter carry it more and relied less on Jenna.

•  

Azurefrost

I've only seen season 8, but so far, I didn't like Capaldi very much. He's been very blunt and seemingly uncaring about things whereas Tennant and Smith felt much more emotional. I hope Season 9 is better...I have heard good things.
  •  

Ms Grace

Season 9 was great - with some very good stories (most of them are two parters so the narrative and characters have more room to grow) and some awesome moments. Capaldi has really grown into the role - but then I really like his acerbic wit, in many ways it is classic Who since many of the earlier Doctors were exactly the same.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Azurefrost

Quote from: Ms Grace on December 27, 2015, 06:18:03 PM
Season 9 was great - with some very good stories (most of them are two parters so the narrative and characters have more room to grow) and some awesome moments. Capaldi has really grown into the role - but then I really like his acerbic wit, in many ways it is classic Who since many of the earlier Doctors were exactly the same.

That's kind of how Smith was to me when he first started. He did funny very well, but he wasn't very good in the serious or emotional scenes. By the later seasons though, he had really grown into the role. Tennant is still my favorite doctor though. Poor Eccleston, nobody ever talks about him. I actually think he made a good Doctor, he just really didn't look the part.
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: Azurefrost on December 27, 2015, 08:01:21 PM
Poor Eccleston, nobody ever talks about him.

It's also his fault for leaving after only one season, didn't really give people a chance to know him or to develop his version of the Doctor. A shame because he was great. I understand he didn't like how he was being treated by the BBC and "didn't want to be typecast". Clearly it hasn't bothered Tennant and, to a lesser degree Smith, both have found roles, some of them great, post-Who. Eccleston not so much.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

KarynMcD

QuoteDoctor Who won't be returning to TV screens until 2017, following the announcement that it will be boss Steven Moffat's last season.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3412962/Taking-Time-Lord-Doctor-won-t-return-screens-2017-boss-Steven-Moffat-announces-departure.html
  •  

Belial

X% of male inside.
  •  

SarahMarie1987

I think we are getting a Christmas special still?
  •  

KarynMcD

After too long of a wait, a new Doctor Who episode for Christmas day.
Don't miss it!

The full series is scheduled to return in April 2017.
  •