Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Dr. Who? Anyone?

Started by Key, February 17, 2011, 10:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key

Delete this if it's a duplicate, or don't, because it's so awesome either way. 

Just trying to see if anyone aside from myself is a fan of the good doctor.  I was feeling nostalgic for the last season tonight so I downloaded the soundtrack.  *Is now in music heaven*  So possibly, if there are fans besides myself, are you looking forward to the next season?  What do you think of the new doctor?  As good as tennant?  Better?  Worse?  Different?  And what do you think of the new partners, Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) in particular?
  •  

Janet_Girl

I have loved the Doctor for years.  My cable provider does not have him, but I do have access to the English stations and can watch them.
  •  

Key

I just got the chance to watch the new series (since 05) and I want to watch the old classics, however theyre quite hard to find in all one piece, lol.  I'm awaiting april with bated breath, especially hearing that Neal Gaiman will be writing one of the episodes.
  •  

Tamaki

I've only watched a bit of the newer stuff but I was addicted to it when Tom Baker was the doctor. In fact I've bought the yarn to knit a Dr. Who scarf. Now if I can just remember how to knit. :P
  •  

Melody Maia

Love Doctor Who and even got my son addicted. I actually like Matt Smith. Didn't think I was gonna. I am absolutely in love with Karen Gillan. Red heads, oh lord, they do it for me. Been seeing the teasers on BBC America. I guess they filmed some in the US for this series?
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

Key

Quote from: Melody Maia on February 17, 2011, 11:43:07 PM
Love Doctor Who and even got my son addicted. I actually like Matt Smith. Didn't think I was gonna. I am absolutely in love with Karen Gillan. Red heads, oh lord, they do it for me. Been seeing the teasers on BBC America. I guess they filmed some in the US for this series?
Nnn, yeah.  I can tell you they end up in Utah, and of course, by the trailer, in the white house at one point, though for the life of me I can't remember which presidency.  They've been pretty good about not using fill-in characters for heads of state, etc, ie, the guy they found to play churchill was wonderful, which means if he's in the white house, there'll be an appropriate actor who looks considerably like a president.  And on the topic of Karen, she's my celebrity crush, well, tied with Felicia Day.  Both are redheads, and both star in geeky series, and Key is a geek, yes she is ^^ 

Oh, and the word (which may be 'bird,' incidentally) is that the first episode will air on April 9th this year, which leaves us with oooooh, a month and 3 weeks or so left to wait ^^
  •  

rejennyrated

Not only a fan but as a BBC TV Videotape operator/editor I worked on the last of the old series.

I am also old enough to have seen every single episode in real time. I did in fact watch the very first episode in 1963. It is one of my earliest memories of watching TV.

Finally as technical supervisor at the BBC archive during the 1990's I was the person who was responsible for doing almost all of the salvage work on the old archival recordings which enabled them to be preserved, or in some cases restored. So if you buy any DVD's and downloads of the old classic series (pre 1996) you will be watching MY replays and digitisations of the old master recordings.

Oh - yeah - and I went to the very first Dr who Appreciation society fanfest back in about 1975 or 1976. The strange thing about whovians, particularly those from the "classic" era of the show is that they seem to have an unusually high proportion of LGBT people in their midst.
  •  

Key

Quote from: rejennyrated on February 18, 2011, 03:29:56 AM
Not only a fan but as a BBC TV Videotape operator/editor I worked on the last of the old series.

I am also old enough to have seen every single episode in real time. I did in fact watch the very first episode in 1963. It is one of my earliest memories of watching TV.

Finally as technical supervisor at the BBC archive during the 1990's I was the person who was responsible for doing almost all of the salvage work on the old archival recordings which enabled them to be preserved, or in some cases restored. So if you buy any DVD's and downloads of the old classic series (pre 1996) you will be watching MY replays and digitisations of the old master recordings.
*bows down* I am not worthy of your presence, oh great one.  Teach me of the ways of the Doctor and his blue box.   XD 

That, is so effing cool, jenny.  Then you've even seen the episodes that got lost when the archives were cleaned out.
  •  

rejennyrated

Quote from: Key on February 18, 2011, 03:34:19 AM
*bows down* I am not worthy of your presence, oh great one.  Teach me of the ways of the Doctor and his blue box.   XD 

That, is so effing cool, jenny.  Then you've even seen the episodes that got lost when the archives were cleaned out.
Yep - I have fond memories of "The enemy of the world" and "The web of fear" to say nothing of "The Dalek Masterplan" and not all of them are actually lost. I personally found quite a few of them that were supposed to be missing. Unfortunately some of them are not usable for technical reasons, but actually the ones that are genuinely missing are mainly only a small section of the Patrick Troughton era from about 1966 - 1967.

More interestingly I have watched the entire studio rushes from the never completed Tom Baker story "Shada"

There are still more stories to be officially "discovered" I am sure of that.

So now you know - Dr who was restored by a longterm postop transwoman  :laugh:
  •  

Key

Quote from: rejennyrated on February 18, 2011, 03:46:38 AM
Yep - I have fond memories of "The enemy of the world" and "The web of fear" to say nothing of "The Dalek Masterplan" and not all of them are actually lost. I personally found quite a few of them that were supposed to be missing. Unfortunately some of them are not usable for technical reasons, but actually the ones that are genuinely missing are mainly only a small section of the Patrick Troughton era from about 1966 - 1967.

More interestingly I have watched the entire studio rushes from the never completed Tom Baker story "Shada"

There are still more stories to be officially "discovered" I am sure of that.

So now you know - Dr who was restored by a longterm postop transwoman  :laugh:
That's just freaking awesome, there isn't a better way to put it, lol.
  •  

rejennyrated

Quote from: Key on February 18, 2011, 03:49:16 AM
That's just freaking awesome, there isn't a better way to put it, lol.
And of course now you at least should understand the joke at the heart of my username.

In real life I am indeed called JENNY - (in the series aka the doctors daughter) - and as I have lived in two different bodies I would say that I have indeed been truly rejennyrated!
  •  

Key

Quote from: rejennyrated on February 18, 2011, 04:02:49 AM
And of course now you at least should understand the joke at the heart of my username.

In real life I am indeed called JENNY - (in the series aka the doctors daughter) - and as I have lived in two different bodies I would say that I have indeed been truly rejennyrated!
And now I get it, and now I am even more in awe.  That is just freaking awesome.  I don't think there is a fan that can hold a candle to you, not at all.
  •  

justmeinoz

Thank You Jen!!

I have watched every series on here over the years,  and  also the movie that showed Davros creating the Daleks.  Now we know where Bob Hawke, PM came from-he's a Davros clone!

Amazing what they could do with a Welsh gravel pit and a few other props.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Melody Maia

Jenny, that is super awesome! And I feel really stupid for not tying your username to the good Doctor, especially since I already knew about your archival work at the BBC.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

Janet_Girl

When I read Jenny's first port and saw her user name, I chuckled because I wondered if she was a doctor fan.  Then she told me about her days at the BBC.

And I have seen the pics that prove she was there.  Not sure if she was working on a Doctor episode or an old style Dalek.   ;D  Thats an awesome tale, Jen. ;) :-*
  •  

Princess Rachel

Wooo, Jenny :)  I is another Hive/Inferno irregular :)  It's a nicely small big world indeed :)  Have you heard anything of Xaria?  I left OG for a long while and then it became G-Base when I returned (they redecorated but I like it)

•  

Linus

Yay! New Doctor Who series starting on BBC America on April 23. :) Can't wait. I grew up watching Tom Baker in the 70s on TVOntario. With the recent versions of Doctor Who, I wasn't sure but I have to admit it's been really good. The writing is quite good, IMO.
My Personal Blog: http://www.syrlinus.com
My Cigar Blog: http://www.cigarnewbie.com
  •  

Padma

Love it - but can't really get behind the new one. It's true what they say, as you get older the doctors get younger, but he's just too much of a boy for me (plus it feels like it's really all about Amy - who is very nice to look at, but that's not the point). Still enjoying it, but nowhere near as much as previous series.

After all these years of watching (and Patrick Troughton was my first doctor, bless 'im), I still think Blink was one of the best episodes ever. It bucked the current trend of "less fear, more action!!!" and had it all - pathos, romance, humour, hide-behind-the-couchness. Brilliant.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Princess Rachel

I can't wait for the new series, Easter is too far away!

•  

rejennyrated

Quote from: Princess Rachel on February 19, 2011, 12:23:53 PM
Wooo, Jenny :)  I is another Hive/Inferno irregular :)  It's a nicely small big world indeed :)  Have you heard anything of Xaria?  I left OG for a long while and then it became G-Base when I returned (they redecorated but I like it)
Oh sorry for not replying - for some reason it didn't tell me that you had posted...

Xaria Byron? - yeah she is doing great stuff as a video reviewer under the alias Diamanda Hagan - she is also my friend on facebook.

Diamanda Hagan Special Review- Freaks - Diamanda Hagan: Lecher Bitch - blip.tv - thats one of hers.

•