Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What reason did you give for requesting a name change?

Started by Jake P, February 28, 2011, 06:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake P

I am in the process of filling out the paper work to change my name, and this is the one section where I'm not entirely sure what to put.  I'm just kinda wondering what other people have put as their reason.  I've heard of writing that you are transgender/transitioning and this name fits better than your birth name.  I've also heard of saying something like Common Usage.  I want to see what the general consensus may be before I fill that out.  Thanks! :)
  •  

Linus

For me, it was what everyone that I'm associated with (work, friends, family) call me. I had Linus as a nickname since 8. The judge was fine with that. :)
My Personal Blog: http://www.syrlinus.com
My Cigar Blog: http://www.cigarnewbie.com
  •  

Da Monkey

I simply wrote "I am currently transitioning from female to male".
The story is the same, I've just personalized the name.
  •  

Logan1986

religious reasons. that whole church and state thing prevents them from asking questions or preventing it
  •  

JessicaR

"So that my name is more appropriate for my appearance."

Congratulations! Seeing that name on the new ID is the best!

•  

Elijah3291

•  

Britney_413

I never mentioned anything about being transsexual as my appearance would make it self-apparent. I stated "to better fit who I am in social and professional settings."
  •  

Jake P

•  

Janet_Girl

To more conform to my presentation.  And when I appeared in court, he had no doubt.
  •  

atheris

I wrote "gender transition," or something like that. 
  •  

Debra

•  

paulault55

I put  "this name better suits my identity", the magistrate looked at the form then at me and said approved.

Paula

I am a Mcginn Girl May 9 2011
  •  

purple sky

•  

Radar

I put "personal reasons" and had no problem. I've heard some states can be a bit picky though on the reasons.
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •  

sascraps

I was just looking up name change information and these are all great ideas. I would also want to change my last name too. I wonder if the fact that I'm only adopted under the last name I currently have & would like a last name that clearly sounds Italian since that is my heritage, will that be enough of a reason for them to allow me to have a new last name as well?
  •  

wheat thins are delicious

They should have no problem with you changing the last name to.  I mean people do it all the time cause they have gotten married so as long as you are not doing it for an illegal reason (to run from debtors or avoid convictions) there should be no problem.  If the judge or whoever asks for explanation just say what you said here about the heritage thing. 

•  

joeybrogue

I forget which option I chose, but it was something of "To better suite myself." which was actually an option, but a little more lengthy.  I wish it had a write-in option for additional details, I am completely fine saying "I'm a transsexual and this is not just to better suite myself, but a necessary step to living fully as myself!"

But, whatever.  Hope all went well.  I'm awaiting my name-change hearing for mid-may. 

•  

Aiden

ah nice topic... trying get the forms sorted out but meh afraid my legal language understanding isn;t so fluent so having try find someone can understand the form lol.   was going put it though myself taken forever to save enough to just put it through myself especialy with lot stuff in rl rearing it's head.  Moving to new place few monthes ago has been a big ease on budget but took most my savings the first month and but have managed to save in 2 monthes now what took me almost a half a year to a year before.  probably because used to having less.   There also option to weive the fee of the petition part as well it seems but the language on that document is more confusing than the name change one... geh

But yeh this is definantly useful.  My question though is what is they decline?  can you still try to file again?
Every day we pass people, do we see them or the mask they wear?
If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

Lisbeth

I said I could no longer relate to having a male name.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •