Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What can family do?

Started by Layn, February 28, 2011, 08:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Layn

I came out to my parents (and my brother about at the same time) almost a year ago. I only see them on holidays, so it's not like we have much time to talk and comfortable about talking about transition with each other and even then most of the time they are pretty busy with stuff. it doesn't help that i'm utterly incapable of talking about personal things, specially with my parents.
when we talk about my transition it wears me out, i get irritable (curse you short temper!).
My parents, being parents, want to do SOMETHING to help (and im really glad! i know many aren't as lucky as i am) but the way they do it just doesn't work with me, since i'm the kind of person that has to go her own way, learn things by herself. My mom keeps suggesting we go to this doctor and that doctor and try this and that. My father keeps give me counsel or guide me or ... (AUGH it's so difficult to summrize things. i mean, "gives counsel" sounds actually good, :P). specially annoying when their guidance feels like they don't realize that a person is more than their surface. seriously, how can they first suggest that tomboys wear jeans and t-shirts, so i can still use my old ones later on, BUT use stereotypes when talking about how girls are and how i should act... well not act exactly. More like "all girls care for their appearance, you should too" (i'll care about it, when i'll care. right now i don't) for example. Sometimes it's like my parents are vulcans. well half, they do show love and concern. it's just they govern themselves by logic and reason and somehow emotional factors don't figure into their understanding of things. i don't know...
Basically it feels like they are too controlling of my life, making it hard to lead it myself.
I tell them that what they are doing isn't helping. i have to find myself, i have to find my way. And i definitely don't want to deliver regular progress reports that they might be expecting (i'm overreacting, but it just feels like that, instead of interest in knowing how i'm doing. yeesh, telling them i'm feeling bad immediately makes them start trying to figure out solutions to fix that ...medically)
i tell them i just need them to be there for me (metaphorically since they are in a completely different country), though i'm not sure what "there for me" entails, since emotional support hasn't really been what i've come to learn to expect from them.

augh... myrant might be painting them in a too bad a light... or too good?(since they care and want the best for me?).

anyway what i wanted to ask... what can i do to help my parents feel more involved and helpful without putting them in charge of my transition? what can i (who is just slowly learning how to be open) do so they don't feel cut off and useless as parents? they are really important to me, that they exist, and be that pillar that i can rely on and come back to but i don't know what else i could need from them...
  •  

JessicaR

Hi!

Parents are parents are parents. Regardless of what is actually good for you, they're going to do what THEY THINK is best for you.

This just came to mind and may sound crazy but...

Write out a list  of how you want to progress with your transition. There's no need for dates, just things that you want to accomplish. Just include the big steps for now... you can always elaborate and add on  later.
Just an example:

--Achieve 3 months of therapy and obtain letter indicating HRT
   --First appointment with endo/MD and hormone level tests
   --First hormone dose
   --Feeling first effects from HRT
   --come out at work/school
   --Date for 6 months of HRT
   --Set start date for living full time
   --First laser/electrolysis session
   --First time referred to as, "Miss."
   --Etc...
   I know this is really generic but I hope you get the idea. Write down your OWN version of transition so they can follow it and share in your accomplishments. This might let them know that you're in control but still want to share with them. When something wonderful happens, call them immediately! Let your guard down and reach out. There will be times during transition when you want to cry, both out of sadness and out of joy... Call them either way.
  You're so fortunate that they want to be involved but you don't want to be smothered. I think that you being the one to call them might change the dynamics of your relationship.

Maybe I'm full of sh** but it's just a thought ;-)

•  

japple

Parents often have a lot more advice and concern for their girl child than their boy child.  Accept it. Love it. Find truth in what they are saying and smile during the rest. 

I don't know the situation but I'm feeling like maybe their boy child was a little lazy or negative?  Maybe their excited about their girl child blossoming.   So blossom.

Girls call their mother.

•  

Layn

Quote from: JessicaR on February 28, 2011, 09:05:42 PM
   --Achieve 3 months of therapy and obtain letter indicating HRT
   --First appointment with endo/MD and hormone level tests
   --First hormone dose
   --Feeling first effects from HRT
   --come out at work/school
   --Date for 6 months of HRT
   --Set start date for living full time
   --First laser/electrolysis session
   --First time referred to as, "Miss."
   --Etc...
i do have to just tell them. I've achieved 5 things just of that list and with each i was already out to my parents. however each time i didn't wan't to tell them, because i felt they are uncomfortable with it and it's going too fast for them. for them everything was just starting and they didn't quite realize that i've been thinking about it all for a long long time.
Quote from: japple on February 28, 2011, 10:33:48 PM
Parents often have a lot more advice and concern for their girl child than their boy child.  Accept it. Love it. Find truth in what they are saying and smile during the rest. 

I don't know the situation but I'm feeling like maybe their boy child was a little lazy or negative?  Maybe their excited about their girl child blossoming.   So blossom.
nah, that's not it. My parents just are the way that when they see that something is wrong they have to immediately go fix it. hands on. Initially it was by trying to see if i might not possibly be actually wrong, now it's to do everything they can so i don't turn into some ugly mutant thing by mistake. It's just how they deal with everything and really has nothing to do with gender or being excited about my transition.
  •  

joshany12

@jessicaR
that is quite possibly the best advice ive seen haha. parents will always be parents, and will always make assumtions and generalisations, but if you put it all in writting, maybe post it to them so they have to stop and think about it, then when you share good or bad news, not only will they have had time to think about why thats important for you, but they will feel like theyre experiancing your highs and lows too. if i could give you reputation for that, i would. dont think you could have given better advice in my opinion  ;)
  •