Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Back to Work - yuck

Started by Steph, January 22, 2007, 07:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

Well I returned to work today, half days until I feel better.  It didn't go too bad but I did start to feel sore by lunch time.  All the employees were really glad to see me back and asked how I was doing and some even asked about the surgery, but the funny thing was that my office mates didn't seem too bothered that I had returned.  Hmm I guess I'm not as popular as I thought :)

I have a lot of catching up to do and a Safety Workshop to put together for next week and apparently I have a driver to train the following week.  Busy, busy, busy, some things never change.  I just have to be careful not to over do things and my manager agrees.  She said that if I start to feel sore to just go home and rest.

Actually I'm glad to be back at work being at home all day was getting on my nerves.  You know what they say about idle hands :)  Got to get on with my life huh!.

Steph
  •  

Suzy

Well done, Steph!  One more milestone down.  Bet you were really going stir crazy.  I wouldn't worry about the reaction, or lack of it, by your co-workers.  Who know what is going through their head?   Just enjoy your new life.

BTW, you look gorgeous in your new avatar!

Love,
Kristi
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Tinkerbell on January 22, 2007, 07:39:13 PM
I was talking to someone from these forums on the phone last night, and I was telling her that I was waiting for you to return to work to see how you included your new activities into your work schedule.  I am supposed to return to work on the 12th of next month, and I really don't know how I am going to arrange my schedule so that I can do everything I need to do.  At least you are just working a few hours a day until you feel better, that is a good thing.  Also the fact that your employer knows about you GRS is a big plus, for they can accomodate you until you feel well enough to return to your regular activities.  I will have to be "double sneaky" with them when I return to work, will I be able to dilate in the middle of the day?  I am not sure. :-\

tinkerbell :icon_chick:

I'm on half days for the first week then it's fulltime the following week, unless my condition changes.  Here in Canada it's the Doctors who say when we can and can't work and my Doct said half days the first week with no prolonged sitting or standing.

My dilation schedule changed last Saturday from 4 times per to to 3 times per day so that's good.  I have to be at work for 6:00 AM so that means I need to wake at 3:45 AM.  That gives me time to douche, sitzbath, shower, dilate (35 min), brush my teeth, make-up, get dressed, get breakfast, get out the door, warm up the car, clean off the frost and snow and drive to work.

Lunch Time I go back home to dilate and eat lunch, and then I'll dilate again at 9:00 PM.

I explained to my manager that I'll probably need a few minutes extra at lunch time to "look after personal issues related to the surgery", and when I offered to explain further she said "Oh that's ok - too much detail :) "
So she is ok with that.

Thats another issue that is not often discussed is how our personal post-op schedule can impact our employer.  We always talk about how to come out at work and often discussing surgery, the time off involved and the post-op requirements is over looked until the surgery date gets closer.  Luckily mine is very understanding and we discussed this when I came out, but I can see where one who is not so flexible could cause problems.

(Hmm note to self - check our Wiki and see if this is included in "Coming out at the Workplace".

Steph
  •  

Buffy

Great Steph..

Take it easy and dont over do it, listen to your body.

Buffy
  •  

Sheila

Its nice that you are back to work. Now, you are just another working woman. Just take it easy and don't lift anything. Find a bus with a nice comfortable seat and use that one for your training. I went back to work after 5 weeks off. I told them that I had just had my surgery and they didn't want me to lift anything, in fact some of the guys offered to put the car seats in for me. Now, when I ask, they look at me and say are your legs broken or something. I guess there isn't any special treatment anymore. Try not to climb into the buses to many times. The stairs are a killer. You will do ok, don't worry.
Sheila
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Sheila on January 22, 2007, 08:54:56 PM
Its nice that you are back to work. Now, you are just another working woman. Just take it easy and don't lift anything. Find a bus with a nice comfortable seat and use that one for your training. I went back to work after 5 weeks off. I told them that I had just had my surgery and they didn't want me to lift anything, in fact some of the guys offered to put the car seats in for me. Now, when I ask, they look at me and say are your legs broken or something. I guess there isn't any special treatment anymore. Try not to climb into the buses to many times. The stairs are a killer. You will do ok, don't worry.
Sheila

Thanks Sheila.  Fortunately the company is being very understanding of my condition so I have their support.  Yesterday was a little tough so today I intend to leave work by 11:00 AM instead of 12:00 as I did yesterday.

Too true Buffy, our bodies are the best indicator that something is a miss :) and those who ignore their bodies tend to pay the price.

Thanks folks.

Steph
  •