Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

And YOUR favorite BAND of all time IS?

Started by Lacey Lynne, April 11, 2011, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lacey Lynne

Hey, where the heck is Tekla?  My vote?

Well, dang, there are SOOO many truly great, great bands.  How do you answer a question like this?  Dang!  Ain't easy, is it?    :P   The Beatles?  Best band ever!  Led Zeppelin?  Hammer of the Gods!  The Rolling Stones?  Don't get me started on THEM!  The list goes on and on ... however, when all is said and done, when the fat lady sings, when the cows come home ... at the end of the day ...

After 36 years, I'm STILL on The Bus!

Sunshine and Day Dream ... Orange Sunshine ... I'm On The Bus!

http://www.google.com/search?q=electric+kool+aid+acid+test&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7_____en&prmd=ivnsb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HQ-pTbL3KY6isAOxh5D5DA&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1005&bih=593

They never claimed to be professionals ... they were us and we were them ... they were not a band ... they were a faith ... we are the faithful ... to this very day!  My personal fave?  The Grateful Dead!

Many, many, many of the Haight-Ashbury freaks migrated HERE to The People's Republic of Portland after the scene faded aeons ago.  Huge contingent of Dead Heads (... of all ages! ...) here.   Every Sunday morning, as I'm crusing to L.A. Fitness, KGON's "Dawn of The Dead" is on the radio ... my version of "church!"    :D    :D    :D

:D    ::)    8)   Lacey Lynne

Okay, which band is YOUR fave?  Rock this place!
Believe.  Persist.  Arrive.    :D

Julie Vu (Princess Joules) Rocks!  "Hi, Sunshine Sparkle Faces!" she says!
  •  

Amy85

Mine was a band called Our Lady Peace from Ontario, Canada when I was younger but their sound slowly changed around 2003 or so. Since then it's been Foo Fighters. I've heard every song and spent hours on youtube watching everything I could on them. They have a new album coming out in a couple days, though it was released on their website to stream for a week or so now.

This is one of their new songs, "I should have Known". It was written about the loss of a loved one to drugs, depression, etc if I am remembering an interview correctly. It features Krist Novoselic as a guest bassist. Together with Dave Grohl and Pat Smear that's all the surviving members of Nirvana who had a hand in making this song...  I'm a pretty big fan of Nirvana too while I'm mentioning them.

•  

JessicaH

•  

justmeinoz

Tough choice.  Despite them never having toured here, and having only their LP's to go by I would say Jefferson Airplane.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

tekla

Tekla was busy running John Cougar Mellon-head and  while getting ready to do a five night run of Ms. Lauryn Hill, Scissor Sisters, Broken Social Scene, P.J. Harvey and Yellowcard with perhaps taking in Queens of the Stone Age on my one off night.

But so much of that is apples and oranges.  How does one rank Pink Floyd vs. the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin vs. Jefferson Airplane?

So, I guess first of all, I'd have to say that I listen to very, very little studio music - if you can't do it live I'm really not all that interested.

People do ask me all the time what the best band I've ever seen perform was and that's an easy answer - The Grateful Dead.  Which of course leads them to ask what the worse band I've ever seen was and the answer to that is also - The Grateful Dead.  Though I think the Jerry Garcia Band was really a much better band on any given night.

But if Rock and Roll is a guitar centered deal (and it is) then the best band ever is whoever Jeff Beck is playing with that night.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Dana Lane

============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

Janet_Girl

:icon_redface:  I am really not that old, but I would have to say Big Bands.  Like Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsay, etc.

Gods I wish I had someone to hold me and dance to music like this.

•  

Rachel Bellefountaine

Quote from: Amy85 on April 11, 2011, 01:38:03 AM
Mine was a band called Our Lady Peace from Ontario, Canada when I was younger but their sound slowly changed around 2003 or so. Since then it's been Foo Fighters. I've heard every song and spent hours on youtube watching everything I could on them. They have a new album coming out in a couple days, though it was released on their website to stream for a week or so now.

This is one of their new songs, "I should have Known". It was written about the loss of a loved one to drugs, depression, etc if I am remembering an interview correctly. It features Krist Novoselic as a guest bassist. Together with Dave Grohl and Pat Smear that's all the surviving members of Nirvana who had a hand in making this song...  I'm a pretty big fan of Nirvana too while I'm mentioning them.

I remember Our Lady Peace. They were pretty good. :)

My favourite band is Queen, and my favourite Singer is Lady Gaga. :)

•  

Devlyn

AC/DC, the early stuff with Bon Scott. Brian Johnson, not so much.
  •  

JessicaR

The Beatles

There is no acceptable argument to the contrary.

•  

Lacey Lynne

LOVING everbody's replies so far.  Hey, I'm learning a lot and having a blast.  Thanks!  Great replies.  SOOO many great bands, how DO you pick just one?

@ Tekla:

Heck, yes!  Everything you said vibes true.  Incidentally, I loved John (Cougar) Mellencamp when he was in his heyday.  Sumbitch could rock.  Hell, I STILL like him ... though his tunes from the halcyon days. 

The Dead ran hot and cold ... no doubt!  Like you said, when they were off (as they are in the video I posted), they basically blew.  When they were ON, they were simply THE BEST live band!  Okay, okay, people can and will debate this, and I respect their opinions.

However, many true Dead Heads will agree with me.  Once, I was at a show in 1977 when they were friggin' ON!  Doggone place went into another dimension ... an alternative reality ... a real-world Nirvana!  Un-freaking-believable.   Heck, I saw Paul McCartney live in 1990 and even HE couldn't match it ... not even close.  And, no, at that show, I had NOT imbibed in lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate 25 (...  had I had access to Sandoz Laboratories' version of the same, I sure as heck woulda! ...) and STILL The Dead generated a contact high that was a religious ecstacy!  That concert, by the way, was 5 hours long ... not unsual for The Dead back in The Day.  They never overcharged.  They never sold out.  They loved their fans ... we loved them.   Heck, it took them like two decades to make any money, but they became An Institution like no other before or since.  They were Ground Zero of the 1960s counterculutre.  Like I said, after all these years I'm STILL "on the bus" although only actually tripped once.  Regret it?  Nope!  Peace.

Tekla, The Jerry Garcia Band?  Saw 'em live and in person about 3-4 times back in The Day.  Hell, even saw 'em with Merle Saunders ... with Donna Godchaux (... who I thought was a hot, classy hippie chick even if she did sing off-key ...) and with Maria Mulduar (...  one hot little honey back in The Day! ...) ... as guest vocalists.  Damn, what a show!!!  You are right about how good The Jerry Garcia Band was.  They were awesome.

Saw Kingfish once too.  Pretty cool. 

Postscript:

Did somebody mention Nirvana?  Didn't they do that song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or somethink similar to that?  DAMN, what a song! 

@ Janet Lynn:

THE GLENN MILLER ORCHESTRA!!!

They were undoubtedly The Beatles of their time!  Those movies they made in the 1940s are so great.  Your second video with Dorthea Dandridge (... such a hot babe! ...) and The Nicholas Brothers is, I believe, the final number at the very end of Glenn's best movie.  Love, love, love that number!   Great taste, hon! 

Thank you very much, everybody.  Hope we get more replies.  I believe we will.  This is a blast.

:D   Lacey Lynne

•  

Fuji

My favorite band of all time?

Beating out the Talking Heads, The Beatles, and Queen, who are all high on my list, My favorite is The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm not going to argue that they are the best band of all time, but the question was who was my favorite.  So there you go.

I love the awesome, epic melding of wonderful harmonies and serious rocking out.  Wild, raw lyrics, and so much energy.  They continue to surprise me twenty years later!!
  •  

Mrs Erocse

What a fun post Lacy Lynne. I really could not decide. There are just too many to love. I do love the Rolling Stones, "I can't get no satisfaction." In the car, on a sunny day, with the windows rolled down and my horrible voice, bellowing at the top of my lungs, with the words on the radio.

Perez Prado.......Patricia

LOL  8)

Hugs,
Patty
  •  

Lacey Lynne

Quote from: Mrs Erocse on April 11, 2011, 10:01:53 PM
What a fun post Lacy Lynne. I really could not decide. There are just too many to love. I do love the Rolling Stones, "I can't get no satisfaction." In the car, on a sunny day, with the windows rolled down and my horrible voice, bellowing at the top of my lungs, with the words on the radio.

Perez Prado.......Patricia

LOL  8)

Hugs,
Patty
"Rock me, baby ... rock me, baby ... all night long!"

Line from a Steppenwolf song from back in the Day.  GREAT answer, hon!

DANG, I miss you two!!!    ;)    :D    ;)

Hey, I want one of those hugs Erocse was giving away in that pride parade!     :D

When the warm weather gets here (... if it ever does ...), Washington Square Mall, girls!

To The Erocse Twins:

Most folks here would agree with this about you two! 

Rock On & Peace Out!    :D    :D    :D   Lacey Lynne

•  

tekla

No doubt when your looking at 'running the table' for a nice long run the Beatles have a pretty good one:

Help>Rubber Soul>Yesterday and Today>Revolver>Sgt. Peppers

But the Stones pulled off this little set:
Their Satanic Majesties Request>Beggers Banquet>Let It Bleed>Sticky Fingers>Exile on Main Street

And the first five Zep is a pretty good run - but go out and get How the West Was Won and the complete shows from '75 at Earl's Court in London and you'll never listen to that lame limp-dick studio junk again.  Live they were the real deal.

And, often overlooked is this mindblowing set from the Kinks spanning 1968 to 1974:
The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society>Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)>Lola versus Powerman and the Money-go-round>Muswell Hillbillies>Everybody's in Show-Biz>Preservation: Act 1>Preservation: Act 2

But the Beatles never really got to master the live show once they were famous, and the Rolling Stones let production overwhelm performance after '72 and never again matched the sheer awesomeness of the Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street tours that really made them 'the world's greatest rock and roll band' as they self-described themselves later.

Live, RHCP did great shows for a while, about the same time as Jane's Addiction was doing the same thing but that only lasted a few years.  Nirvana was pretty much a one hit wonder, though it was a hell of a hit, much like Appetite for Destruction, which if you didn't see that Guns&Roses tour you really missed the best part of that band.  I do have to put in a good word for Motorhead who has brought it live for 30 years now - they are real metal, most of the rest of that genera are poseurs who aren't fit to carry Lemmy's used strings. I'll make and exception for Bon Scott era AC/DC, and I'm sure Lemmy would too.

But, for the record - all the above, combined, can't touch the lineup of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Julian "Cannonball" Adderley and Gil Evens that did Kind of Blue - or the 'Trane groups that did My Favorite Things, Blue Train and A Love Supreme.

And in 100-150 years what will they be talking about in terms of rock in music schools?  Frank Zappa, all the rest will be forgotten.
  •  

tekla

While I was working Mellon-head everyone else I knew was digging on this and came back to me the next day talking like they had just seen the second coming - and this from people I've been working and going to shows with for 40 years.  So, tonight in America, this might well be the best band working.

•  

Ryuu

I'd have to say Dir en Grey. You just can't beat metal guitar riffs, emotional vocals, and music videos chock full of blood, sex, and vomit. ;D
  •  

Mrs Erocse

Quote from: Lacey Lynne on April 11, 2011, 10:17:01 PM
"Rock me, baby ... rock me, baby ... all night long!"

Line from a Steppenwolf song from back in the Day.  GREAT answer, hon!

DANG, I miss you two!!!    ;)    :D    ;)

Hey, I want one of those hugs Erocse was giving away in that pride parade!     :D

When the warm weather gets here (... if it ever does ...), Washington Square Mall, girls!

To The Erocse Twins:

Most folks here would agree with this about you two! 

Rock On & Peace Out!    :D    :D    :D   Lacey Lynne

Thank you Lacy Lynne. Hoping to meet you soon. :) Washington Square is one of our favorite places now. We are big mall fans and this is one of the best. :) Glad you suggested it.

I wish I was there to get one of Roxy's hugs too. :(  I missed out.
Her sign was way cool.

Hugs to you.
Patty
  •  

Princess Rachel

I don't have one single fave band, I like several each for different reasons

Iron Maiden for their many, many, many epic scope and galloping sing along metal classics
Manic Street Preachers for their succinct analysis of the world's political establishment
The Wildhearts for their uncompromising and yet party hard rock and roll attitude

•