Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Critique My Voice Please

Started by MsSaneJane, May 08, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsSaneJane

I posted the vid on you tube.  Please let me know whether you hear a male or female.

•  

Melody Maia

Pitch is better than where you began. However, it still sounds like you have too much resonance in your voice. Also, you voice is still very monotone. Women vary their pitch up and down in an almost sing-song way. Also, you seem to be punctuating words consonants in an aggressive way which feels masculine to me.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

MarinaM

Good work so far, I have many friends who have a voice much like the one you started with. I think you may have some cultural influence involved in the halting patterns of your speech, which will take some hard work to smooth out. Maia is a voice guru, so take her advice and run with it.

My own terrible advice: Abandon your male voice altogether. Your female voice won't get you looked at strange in guy mode at this point, but it is on the edge, where it can't be easily gendered if you slow it down and throw some music into it.
  •  

MsSaneJane

Ladies thank you for the needed advice... back to the lab I go.  :laugh:
  •  

Cirnobyl

I didn't want to start another of these threads when this one is still new but could you girls critique my voice too?

This voice training is hard >.<
  •  

MarinaM

Sounds good Cirnobyl, keep it up.
  •  

MsSaneJane

Quote from: Cirnobyl on May 10, 2011, 11:00:50 PM
I didn't want to start another of these threads when this one is still new but could you girls critique my voice too?

This voice training is hard >.<

Pretty good, how long have you been practicing?
  •  

TheAetherealMeadow

You sound very androgynous to me. If I heard you on the phone I wouldn't be sure what gender you are. I think a lot of it depends on your age, too. A lot of older cis women's voices sound very similar to yours, but if you were, say, in your 20s, I'd probably "read" you. Also, as others have said, intonation helps a lot to get your voice gendered female when your pitch is in the androgynous range. Best of luck!  :)
  •  

Cirnobyl

Thanks ^^ and yes I AM in my 20's. At the time of that recording it had been a little over a month. I was following candi's advice and doing long periods talking in the highest possible falsetto I could manage, then letting my voice come down again. I've been getting conflicting info about what the best sort of voice training is so I'm taking it easy. Especially when I look at how long its going to take me to finish my face/body hair removal and regrow my scalp hair. My voice cracks if I try to raise the pitch and this is REALLY bothering me. I don't just want to be able to talk like a girl, I want to be able to sing and yell and everything else. Sometimes I practice by trying to sing "Fly me to the Moon" since its pretty and easy to remember.
  •