Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does my voice sound male or female?

Started by glaze, May 13, 2011, 08:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glaze

I made an audio message to my friend who I'm probably going to meet sometime this month for the first time. He knows about my situation. The question, is my voice male or female? I hope for honest answers so I'm not saying if I'm FTM or MTF.  :-\

Okay here it is: http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/94868/Voice%20Test (don't have to download, it streams like youtube)
  •  

Sephirah

Okay, honestly... your voice sounds female. Just as an aside, I like your accent.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Megan Joanne

•  

Janet_Girl

Very cute, very young, very feminine.  Cute accent
  •  

glaze

Sounds too young for a 24 year old MTF? It's my natural voice, if I try to do a female one I'd sound like a child then? :laugh:

Aw I've been actually trying to loose my accent, no idea why. I want to sound normal I guess >.<
  •  

shortnsweet1004

I don't think it sounds too young. I wouldn't think twice if I heard a voice like that.
  •  

Janet_Girl

Glaze, I would say even with the accent you sound like a young woman.  No Worries hon.
  •  

pebbles

Well it's female but it's much much higher than most females whitch can cause problems (Can be difficult to listen to, and sounds odd coming out of a person if your not like 5'1). unfortunately I don't have a computer of my own otherwise I'd have gotten you exact hz scores on just how high it is.
  •  

glaze

Quote from: pebbles on May 15, 2011, 02:48:08 AM
Well it's female but it's much much higher than most females whitch can cause problems (Can be difficult to listen to, and sounds odd coming out of a person if your not like 5'1). unfortunately I don't have a computer of my own otherwise I'd have gotten you exact hz scores on just how high it is.

Well I'm 5'2" height and I think I'm a probably a big person (shoulders front- 16.5" and back 17") seeing as mother is 4"8 height. I haven't exercised at all in a while. Like in umm... I'm embarrassed to say, a year. That's going to change though, bought a new treadmill and a fitness bike earlier this month for a full out cardio two-hours-a-day-workout-month (Umm June! My, I do procrastinate!). Hopefully it will change if I bring my 140lbs down to 105lbs. 35 lbs is my short-term goal.

I'm wondering if female voice coaching will help me? or will it make it even higher? or make it more controlled and softer?
  •  

pebbles

Quote from: glaze on May 15, 2011, 07:35:49 AM
Well I'm 5'2" height and I think I'm a probably a big person (shoulders front- 16.5" and back 17") seeing as mother is 4"8 height. I haven't exercised at all in a while. Like in umm... I'm embarrassed to say, a year. That's going to change though, bought a new treadmill and a fitness bike earlier this month for a full out cardio two-hours-a-day-workout-month (Umm June! My, I do procrastinate!). Hopefully it will change if I bring my 140lbs down to 105lbs. 35 lbs is my short-term goal.

I'm wondering if female voice coaching will help me? or will it make it even higher? or make it more controlled and softer?
Well if your that tiny then you could probably pull off a voice like that some of my very short female friends have tiny high pitched voices like that.
As dose one other girl not as short at 5'5 although she has a high voice and a slight lisp aswell so you notice that more than her pitch. So if it sounds like a female voice the question more is Are you happy with it?

When I personally started retraining my voice, I pushed it up really high the problem with that is it tires your voice out after awhile.
I don't know I've never personally seen a vocal coach myself, You can get vocal anylysis software that can tell you what pitch your voice is supposed to be if you record samples of several female voices you can see they're is only a 50hz difference and their certainly is overlap the primary distinction is that male voices are more "noisy" in that they possess additional frequences expressed in them.
  •  

glaze

Okay, personally I think my voice is more childish than female. With a little work it might sound normal, but training my voice is not a priority for me right now since I'm not full time right now. However, almost everyone addresses me as mam, miss, and madam when I talk on phone.

This week has been horrible though. I've almost never have anything on my name, instead have mother's and let her do all the talking. This week I opened a new bank account, and subscribed to a internet connection (a rather expensive and dedicated one). Both of these have my own name on it for a change. Although I have been using my chosen name of the last 14 years (since 10 years old), officially I still have my given name and have not changed it yet. My given name is not really male, but the last name is fathers. Here in my country boys get father's names and girls gets mother's names. So, it will be assumed that I'm male.

The bank account is a business current account, and I've received three welcome calls and all of them refused to identify me as the account owner. They keep verifying everything and then go "okay everything confirmed... okay ma'am could you get mr.<name>?" I go "yes i am <name>"... they go "sorry ma'am but the account holder has a male name..." ... "well I am the account holder, can we continue now...?".... then they go "really sorry ma'am you are not authorized to operate this account. thank you for your time. We'll call back later when Mr.<name> is available."

Umm... this went on again and again, afterward I contracted my local branch office specifically my account manager to ask about debit/ATM card and checkbook. The guy absolutely refused to discuss the account details with me. I actually met the guy with mother when I opened the account, and its true that she did all the talking. However, its just unbelievable that they don't accept me as a male. The same with my ISP, they refused to accept me as the subscriber when I requested a plan upgrade today. This would have been a good morale booster if I was further into my transition, but nothing is ready right now >.<

I guess the only thing I have going is the hereditary hair loss and the beard shadow, I'm not too good around people.. but i guess I'll have to meet them to get things sorted out :(
  •  

marelivki

Your voice sounds female but sounds really bad... it really sounds like you are putting effort, it doesn't sound natural at all, it sounds forced and like you were pretending, really pretending... You need to change your training method, or simply look for surgery, because I personally can't imagine having conversation with such a forced voice, it would be a distress. It's not an attack, just saying the truth.
  •  

glaze

Quote from: marelivki on June 02, 2011, 10:55:49 AM
Your voice sounds female but sounds really bad... it really sounds like you are putting effort, it doesn't sound natural at all, it sounds forced and like you were pretending, really pretending... You need to change your training method, or simply look for surgery, because I personally can't imagine having conversation with such a forced voice, it would be a distress. It's not an attack, just saying the truth.

You do misunderstand. That horrible strained voice is the natural one that I've had since early teens. I have no voice training and I've not done anything to my voice. Its simply my voice that i've been born with. It sounds horrible and in the OP I was wondering if voice training would help it  make something listenable. My first priority is not training my voice to be female, its to be clear and maybe even human.
  •  

marelivki

That's really strange... Is everything okay with your chords and larynx?
  •  

glaze

Quote from: marelivki on June 02, 2011, 12:16:58 PM
That's really strange... Is everything okay with your chords and larynx?

I'm not quite sure, maybe. I have never had it checked out. Thanks for your honest opinion~
  •  

xXRebeccaXx

Quote from: glaze on May 13, 2011, 08:33:58 AM
I made an audio message to my friend who I'm probably going to meet sometime this month for the first time. He knows about my situation. The question, is my voice male or female? I hope for honest answers so I'm not saying if I'm FTM or MTF.  :-\

Okay here it is: http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/94868/Voice%20Test (don't have to download, it streams like youtube)

Being honest, your voice sounds female.
Even in death, may I be triumphant.
  •