Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Voice training is hard! Making no progress.

Started by Jenna_Nicole105, May 17, 2011, 06:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenna_Nicole105

Starting to wonder if I will ever get there. I have both the Finding your female voice as well as Melanie Speaks programs and use them... and use them.. and use them and I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast.

I listen to myself in my recorder and just cringe at what I hear back.

My voice isn't particularly deep which is a plus, but it's unique for lack of a better word and I'm starting to think I just lack the needed range to make my voice feminine.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point and seriously considering having Professional help, if I can fit yet another thing into my budget that is.

This is the biggest hurdle I have in terms of passing and ultimately going full time. I'm not very good at makeup, in fact I'm quite bad... but that can come with practice... I feel that my voice is never going to get there no matter how much practicing I do and it's disheartening.

Formerly known as Tiffany_Marie

On HRT since 7-27-2011 and feeling great!
  •  

Randi

I have good days and bad days with mine. I have tried for years to get mine to take a higher pitch for my singing voice but it just ain't happening-at least not consistently. When I get the least bit congested the pitch of my voice takes a nosedive and usually takes some time to return to normal.

Randi
  •  

Jenna_Nicole105

See I wonder how much of that could be my problem (congestion) I constantly suffer from it due to a combination of severe allergies and a deviated septum.

I would hate to think that I'm screwed until I hopefully get surgery on my septum, because it certainly isn't going to be anytime soon.

Formerly known as Tiffany_Marie

On HRT since 7-27-2011 and feeling great!
  •  

Melody Maia

Don't worry about range so much. Isolating your voice in the top half of your vocal range and squeezing it to remove the resonance will help greatly. Don't get caught in making your voice "high." That will come with more practice.
and i know that i'm never alone
and i know that my heart is my home
Every missing piece of me
I can find in a melody

O
  •  

Tamaki

When I'm congested it makes things much more difficult. Plenty of water can be helpful for some people.

Some people seem to do fine working on there own and some seem to really struggle. If you're not making a lot of progress and if you can afford it I suggest working with someone like a speech pathologist that specializes in working with transwomen. I know of at least two that work via skype. The thing it's done for me to provide feedback as to what i'm doing right and wrong. It has saved me months of trial and error. I think I've has around eight sessions and I feel like it's good enough.
  •  

annette

Hi Tiffany

Don't worry too much girl, of course you are making progress, it's only not in a very fast way.
Just safe your recording and compare it with a recording in a few month's, you'll see, there is some progress.
But....it takes a long time, for most of us it can't be quick enough, we've lost so many years, so we want a fast result.

Most people try to raise the pitch but that will sound very unnatural, try to keep the pitch in a way you still sound natural.
Maybe it's not quite female than but that will come.
Try to say the E and/or I till you reach the right tone, than you're talking with head voice.
When you reach that point, you can try other words with that tone, do it step by step.
When it comes to voices there is only one magical word, practice, as much as you can.

The recording will always dissapoint you, when I hear myself back I want to lock myself in a closet and never see the world again, but nobody
seems to notice something strange about my voice, only me, because I know it's me who is talking.
Actually, my voice isn't that beautifull sound I was hoping for but quite passable.
Maybe that's the best I can get, nobody will siréd even not on the phone but somehow I think I can do better.

I do lectures for classes with nurses, so I speak for a lot of people, nobody ever made a comment.
Once there was a recording to see of there can be something improved about my lessons.
With some professionals I heard it back, everybody was satisfied about it, but I only heard myself and thought OMG, this sounds like crap.

Maybe we are too focussed about it and do we hear things that others don't hear.

The only thing I want to say about this is, keep practicing and maybe we're not quite satisfacted with what we hear but it's good enough for others.
Don't push yourself too hard sweety, just do your exercises and give it time.

Good luck and keep faith.

hugs
Annette
  •  

MarinaM

You've heard my voice, it's hard to get it there, even. My latest video with my daughter was on a bad day too. It has taken me about 4 months of constant neutralization to get it there (because I have to exist in both modes).

Not being full time around friends who keep you in check greatly hampers your ability to develop your voice- You just have to work on it all day, every day. That's part of the deal for a year or two.
  •  

EmilyElizabeth

Quote from: Helena on May 27, 2011, 11:33:04 AM
Feline voice training works...and it's free.

srs time now, the single best thing you can do for you voice is go FT because you just have to use it. heck I couldn't sound like a man now even if i tried
so the meowing actually works?

how long did it take?  sounds too good to be true

•  

Megan Joanne

Quote from: Helena link=topic=98654.msg 730451#msg 730451 date=1306513984
Feline voice training works...and it's free.

srs time now, the single best thing you can do for you voice is go FT because you just have to use it. heck I couldn't sound like a man now even if i tried

And you'll sound and look cute doing it too. Meow Mix...meow.  ;D

I don't even recall the effort I put into training my voice, I know I did, but mostly it was just singing along to my favorite songs (I remember when I was first singing to them, and one day my brother commented on why did I sound like a girl, I felt shy and embarrassed then, but also thought, did I, really!?), as well as trying different tones and pitches during conversation, and a lot of times I'd ask my mom how I sounded, she really was never much of a big help with this, I always sounded the same to her, probably because the changes were subtle and over a long stretch of time. I think the first time I realized that I sounded female was one time that I answered the phone, nothing important on the other end, bill collector or someone trying to sell something, can't recall, but the person kept referring to me as ma'am, or miss "last name". I do remember that it did take a very long time to finally get my voice recognized as female, and I did have my moments of sometimes sounding like a guy, and sometimes passing off as sounding like a lady. Now, while I still can't stand my voice, too nasally and not really pretty sounding (I wish it did, but not all women have high pitch or pretty sing-songness in their vocals, so I'm okay with it, I guess), it does sound female (I've actually been mistaken quite often as my mom when I've answered the phone and it was for her, the person on the other end sometimes started talking to me thinking I was her), so long as I'm not talking too much as to dry my throat out or aren't sick with a cold or something, but no one questions my voice (at least not out loud, but I don't see question marks on their faces, and they never act weirded out, and I always get referred to with some feminine words), not on the phone, or at work, or anywhere that I'm out in public, well, except a few random children per year (those ones that spend too long staring, they're studying you, every little friggin' detail, makes me so nervous).
  •  

PrincessCL

My sister does a lot of singing, and it's really helped stretch what she can do with her voice. She has some serious allergies and asthma however, so she has a few tricks she must use.

Try some coffee, believe it or not, caffeine will actually help with your breathing. And if your throat feels too dry and not fluid enough, just a little bit of olive oil will help!

When it comes to your voice sounding not feminine enough to you, don't worry! EVERYONE thinks their own voice sounds like crap.

I'd suggest talking to someone else on the phone. Practice with a friend perhaps. Call her up, using your feminine voice, and see if she can tell that it's you! You might be surprised!

It's actually quite fun! My SO and I practice this together. It's so fun to call him in the middle of the night and have him pick up, sounding just like a girl!
Playing games like that make the task much more fun and much less daunting. You'll have a cheerleader, right there on the other side of the line, and most importantly, you'll wind up practicing, for hours, without feeling so tired or discouraged!

Patience is the key.
  •