Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Official "You Look....Alright" Thread

Started by Pica Pica, May 21, 2011, 02:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiep

Shan, hi sister! I decided to let my hair grow out, yours is almost as long as mine & about the same color too! sounds like editing out some liquids & treats plus exercise you could trim down. Good on you.

We are made of star stuff - Carl Sagan
Express Yourself
Own your zone
  •  

barbie

In the morning, we went to a nearby coast. One of my students took photo for me.

It is still hot, but the fall is coming.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Taka

quality seems to be in accordance with the background light... i like that look, don't fix your eyebrows too much, try to be moderate rather than going for that unnaturally thin line.

@ barbie: cute... so you're a teacher of some kind? i think you've mentioned students a few times, but i never thought of asking.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Taka on August 27, 2013, 01:01:26 AM

@ barbie: cute... so you're a teacher of some kind? i think you've mentioned students a few times, but i never thought of asking.

Taka,

I am a professor in a university here. Students usually do not care what I wear, but other professors worry about it, as my feminine appearance can debase some authority required to teach students. There is no female faculty member at my college while there are a lot in other colleges. Some jokingly introduce me as the only female member in the college, and some students initially recognize me as a female faculty member.

Yesterday, I met professors and students from a university of Japan together with a Japanese consult who officially visited my university. I greeted them, representing my college. We had a seminar and dinner together. The consult and one professor mentioned me as a young professor, but I am actually far older than that. The consult seemed to think I look peculiar, but chatted with me for long time.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Taka

you do appear rather female for for someone who supposedly isn't... it's nice to see a teacher who doesn't care too much about the "right" appearances. my own experience is that pink hair did't make any student respect me more or less, it's my attitude that matters. i think it makes the students more open minded and gives them more confidence, to see a person of authority not conform.

it's interesting how they'd worry about a feminine appearance. some of the strictest teachers i've known are women. at my daughter's school, the teacher with most authority is the female principal. she's also the teacher who gets the best results, and her students manage to both hate her for being "too strict" and love her for always being fair. she doesn't play favorites like so many other teachers do.
they're probably just afraid that appearing too feminine will make a "man" seem soft, though.

do you like your job?
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Taka on August 27, 2013, 04:04:31 AM
it's interesting how they'd worry about a feminine appearance. some of the strictest teachers i've known are women. at my daughter's school, the teacher with most authority is the female principal. she's also the teacher who gets the best results, and her students manage to both hate her for being "too strict" and love her for always being fair. she doesn't play favorites like so many other teachers do.
they're probably just afraid that appearing too feminine will make a "man" seem soft, though.

do you like your job?

Taka,

As you know well, my observation is that people tend to bring others to justify their argument or taste. Typical examples are "your wife", "your kids", and "your parents". Here no exception, "your students".

Some students who once took my classes warn other students that, despite looking feminine, I am actually too masculine in teaching.

Faculty position is far better here compared with the U.S in terms of income, job stability and social status.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Mx. Lonely on August 25, 2013, 09:01:32 PM
I just can't figure out how to hide the beard shadow.

The beard shadow is caused by unplucked hairs. You may purchase sharp tweezers to completely pluck up the hairs. In my case, I used Tria home laser to reduce the beard hairs, although the manufacturer does not recommend its use for facial hairs. I still have very fine beard hairs, but they are no longer noticeable.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Taka

Quote from: barbie on August 27, 2013, 01:55:00 PM
Taka,

As you know well, my observation is that people tend to bring others to justify their argument or taste. Typical examples are "your wife", "your kids", and "your parents". Here no exception, "your students".

Some students who once took my classes warn other students that, despite looking feminine, I am actually too masculine in teaching.

Faculty position is far better here compared with the U.S in terms of income, job stability and social status.

barbie~~
it was that justification thing as well, yes... and it's not only justification, it's also a way to try and force you to change direction by using those you're expected to feel responsible for in order to create this feeling of guilt. i don't like it much.

too masculine in teaching? i think i've seen that style from some women. appearances really can't be trusted, judging a book by the cover isn't always too wise.

and, well. i suspected it might be a good job in those terms. some places teachers are actually respected. but do you like teaching?
  •  

Bookworm

I always like the professors who are easy to approach. If I have a hard time in a class and the teacher is not approachable then I often suffer. Most say they are willing to take the time to help their students, but I have had teachers say this and then when I talk to them it seems like I am just wasting their time. For me I care little for the appearance of my teacher if they know the material and I can ask them questions when I have them.
  •  

Taka

i'm aiming to become that kind of teacher. somewhen in the future... i can't move to the city, so i'll have to find some decentralized classes.
the few students i've had all seem to have liked me at least. one of them, i taught her last time over a year ago, just asked me a question a couple days ago. i must have done something right, or that wouldn't happen.
  •  

Bookworm

No it would not have. I still email and visit some of my favorite teachers.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Taka on August 27, 2013, 03:29:16 PM
some places teachers are actually respected. but do you like teaching?

Taka,

A component of Korean society and tradition is Confucianism that emphasizes education, and people here still respect teachers. This is the same to me. When I visit the school of my kid, I tend to be very careful in my appearance and words.

I did not like teaching so much, but now I have to do. The fall semester just began this week, and I just hope to teach better than the previous semester. Fortunately or not, the number of students taking my classes greatly increased by more than a factor of 3, causing me to worry about the space.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: barbie on August 28, 2013, 07:42:35 PM

I did not like teaching so much, but now I have to do. The fall semester just began this week, and I just hope to teach better than the previous semester. Fortunately or not, the number of students taking my classes greatly increased by more than a factor of 3, causing me to worry about the space.

barbie~~

You must be doing something right, Barbie. Students don't sign up for classes in droves when the teacher has a bad reputation.

Quote from: Taka on August 27, 2013, 04:04:31 AM
you do appear rather female for for someone who supposedly isn't... it's nice to see a teacher who doesn't care too much about the "right" appearances. my own experience is that pink hair did't make any student respect me more or less, it's my attitude that matters. i think it makes the students more open minded and gives them more confidence, to see a person of authority not conform.

Little old lady teachers seem to have just as much authority as big hefty male ones. It comes from attitude and experience, like you say.

It's only been three days, but I haven't noticed my gender non-comformity bringing about any change among my students. Though I imagine you're a bit younger and probably somewhat more tuned in to your students' generation.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

barbie

The sun here is too strong. I ordered a cute crop t-shirt online and tried to wear it.

This kind of t-shirt here is very bold even for young girls here.

Anyway, I visited a dermatologist's office in the morning for some skin problem of my hands. Staffs and the doctor there all know who and how old I am. No unusual response. After that, I went to a nearby restaurant to have lunch with my wife, and she took photos for me at home.

After arriving at my office, I took off that t-shirt and wear a plain one. I guess students will not like my wearing the crop t-shirt. A few of them already saw it.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Taka

at least you have the figure required to wear something as bold as that... trying to live your youth all over again?

Quote from: suzifrommd on August 28, 2013, 08:24:12 PM
It's only been three days, but I haven't noticed my gender non-comformity bringing about any change among my students. Though I imagine you're a bit younger and probably somewhat more tuned in to your students' generation.
the change isn't really that visible, i think. but i know that many have been encouraged by my changing hair colors. just realizing that someone's appearances has nothing to do with how they are as a person should teach them something they might not have thought about quite yet. like not to judge a book by the cover. just that is a fairly big change in a person.

Quote from: barbie on August 28, 2013, 07:42:35 PM
any teacher who tries to get better at their job is a good teacher the way i see it. there are way too many teachers here in norway who resist change and try their best to only do what they're used to doing. which isn't always enough for their students, but those teachers don't seem to care. your masculine teaching style seems to be attracting more students, or maybe it's your feminine appearance...
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Taka on August 29, 2013, 06:40:38 AM
at least you have the figure required to wear something as bold as that... trying to live your youth all over again?

Barbie is such a foxy lady!

there are way too many teachers here in norway who resist change and try their best to only do what they're used to doing. which isn't always enough for their students, but those teachers don't seem to care.

Seven last words of a failed system or organization are: "We never did it that way before!"
  •  

barbie

Yes. Aging is my concern.
Yesterday, my wife commented that my belly is actually fat and don't be under the illusion that I might be as slim as teen girls. I denied it, anyway.

I heard that a proper way of wearing a crop top is to be matched with high-rise pants. Just ago I purchased high-rise short pants. The size was 26 inch waist, and I thought I can manage it after trying it at the fitting room. Hopefully I will wear them this weekend.

My usual appearance at the campus is like:

At lunch during a conference that I hosted last week.

Now at my office.

Some of my colleagues initially objected to my wearing short pants in the campus, but nowadays very few mention it. I cite global warming and energy crisis. Actually, our government encourages government employees to wear short pants in summer to save electric energy and reduce carbon dioxide emission.

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: barbie on August 30, 2013, 04:11:13 AM

Now at my office.

Some of my colleagues initially objected to my wearing short pants in the campus, but nowadays very few mention it. I cite global warming and energy crisis. Actually, our government encourages government employees to wear short pants in summer to save electric energy and reduce carbon dioxide emission.

barbie~~

Looking hot and cool simultaneously in your shorts Barbie! If you've got it, flaunt it girlfriend!
  •  

ativan

Barbie turns global warming into a fashion statement.
How cool is that?
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Ativan Prescribed on August 30, 2013, 11:11:59 AM
Barbie turns global warming into a fashion statement.
How cool is that?

It is far cooler. A few of my colleagues here wear formal dresses with a neck tie under the strong sun and air temperature > 35 Celsius or >95 Fahrenheit. I usually fix the room temperature at 28 C or 82 F, while others at 22 C or 72 F.

And, today we officially turned off the air conditioner at home. It became suddenly cool, probably influenced by typhoon Kong-Rrey, feeling the autumn, and I worry that I may not have a chance to wear the crop t-shirts with the high rise short pants this year. I hope it will become suddenly hot again.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •