Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Official "You Look....Alright" Thread

Started by Pica Pica, May 21, 2011, 02:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinny18

Quote from: Taka on October 01, 2013, 07:01:21 AM
longer hair might look good on you.
now i'll also be waiting for your hair to grow out...
Hehe. Thanks.

Quote from: Gewaltraud on October 01, 2013, 07:08:14 AM
Me too!

I'm constantly growing out my hair because I'm constantly making mistakes when shaving it, so I have to grow out a patch here or there and ARGH. The good thing about hair is that it always grows back. ;)
But the bad thing that they grow so slow. :) Its passed almost 3 months since my short haircut and its all I've got.
  •  

Gewaltraud

Well I don't know how short your "short hair-cut" was, but I know that when I shave the sides of my head with a Bic TO THE SKIN (soft as a baby's po-po), I have a very fuzzy head a week later. I heard somewhere that hair grows about an inch per month, so I guess there's not much to expect after only three months. I'm pretty sure there are natural/herbal supplements that boost hair growth, though. Might want to look into it if you're in a hurry for longer locks. ;)

•  

Skinny18

Quote from: Gewaltraud on October 01, 2013, 12:45:47 PM
Well I don't know how short your "short hair-cut" was, but I know that when I shave the sides of my head with a Bic TO THE SKIN (soft as a baby's po-po), I have a very fuzzy head a week later. I heard somewhere that hair grows about an inch per month, so I guess there's not much to expect after only three months. I'm pretty sure there are natural/herbal supplements that boost hair growth, though. Might want to look into it if you're in a hurry for longer locks. ;)
Hm, interesting. Never heard about. Need to make some research on this matter. )
  •  

WolfSpirit

Granted I more than likely look more like an tomboy in this pic. But I am hoping to start appearing more male, my dominant gender. Or at the very least more in between genders.

•  

Taka

nice hair! i haven't tried that color yet, maybe i should.
  •  

barbie

I just returned from my first trip to Taipei, Taiwan. It takes just 1 hour and 50 minutes from my home town. It was hot and humid like a typical summer day here. Air pollution from auto bicycles there was a problem for me, but one day I ran along the city called Keelung. People were very kind. I missed the clean air of my hometown, and finally now I am inhaling it.

Two photos from a central area of Taipei on September 29.

An interesting moment was when one strange young guy chased me in the street at night, and my fellows noticed it to say to me. Anyway, it was a very safe place even at night.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

WolfSpirit

Quote from: Taka on October 03, 2013, 03:04:27 AM
nice hair! i haven't tried that color yet, maybe i should.

Thank you  ;D   

You look great barbie  :)
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: barbie on October 03, 2013, 05:20:15 AM
I just returned from my first trip to Taipei, Taiwan. It takes just 1 hour and 50 minutes from my home town. It was hot and humid like a typical summer day here. Air pollution from auto bicycles there was a problem for me, but one day I ran along the city called Keelung. People were very kind. I missed the clean air of my hometown, and finally now I am inhaling it.

Two photos from a central area of Taipei on September 29.

An interesting moment was when one strange young guy chased me in the street at night, and my fellows noticed it to say to me. Anyway, it was a very safe place even at night.

barbie~~

Taiwan has an interesting history. In an earlier lifetime when I was 19 or so I parachuted into a sugar cane field outside of Kaohsiung and spent time in the surrounding countryside camping out in a peanut patch under a big reclining Buddha. I had photos of myself taken with Taiwanese soldiers back in 1965. That country has changed dramatically since those days. Nice photos Barbie Doll, you look just darling as usual hon!
  •  

Taka

nice barbie... you could compete with plastic.

taiwan has some good literature for girls. i've read a couple manhuas about girls who can actually stand up for themselves. i don't see that too often in korean manhwa.
  •  

barbie

Shantel, thanks for the comment.

In 1965, I was just one-year old, and my country was extremely poor, partly due to the Korean war. They proposed to send 100 thousand soldiers to S. Korea to fight against N. Korea just after the war break, but it was rejected. Anyway the relationship between the two countries have always been nice. However, Taiwanese got upset when S. Korea started diplomatic relations with PR China in 1992. But I heard that Korean TV dramas have been popular there, and many tourists visit each country. In the hotel I stayed at, more than half of guests were actually Korean visitors. People always recognized me as Taiwanese, speaking to me in Chinese.

Taka,

Although Korea has been officially a patriarchal society, men tried hard to control women. They were defiant and liked to engage in politics. Nowadays, wives have more power than husbands at home , as usually women manage household economy. Husbands are just a kind of money-earning robot, including me.

Regarding girls standing up for themselves, there is a famous TV drama series titled "Dae Jang Geum", which were broadcast throughout Asia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dae_Jang_Geum
It is a very addictive series, and the main character is a women, Jang Geum.  I also watched it about several years ago. My hometown has several filming locations for that series, where foreign visitors, especially from China, like to visit.

Remember that the president of S. Korea is a woman. Taiwan or Japan never had a female president or prime minister.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Taka

but that's historical, those can be good at times (i'll watch if i can find english subtitles).
have you ever tried reading any manhwa by hwang mi ri? those are horrible, but what i find even worse is how much young women seem to like them. all start out with some strong female character who just has to turn all weak for the sole reason of giving the male lead an opportunity to save her. of course, the male lead is also usually a real jerk, but the girl always chooses him over the good guy who also loves her. i'm not sure what that teaches girls about the workings of romance. i avoid reading 50 shades because i've heard that one is also very unrealistic about a horrible guy's ability to change.
not that i think korea isn't doing better at gender equality.

despite many bad printed manhwas, i've read some really good webtoons from your country. my favorites would be these two:
http://cartoon.media.daum.net/webtoon/view/friendlywinter
http://cartoon.media.daum.net/webtoon/view/nosee
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Taka on October 05, 2013, 02:47:06 PM
but that's historical, those can be good at times (i'll watch if i can find english subtitles).
have you ever tried reading any manhwa by hwang mi ri?

Taka,

Usually adults here do not read manhwa. When I was a kid, I liked reading it. My kids like manhwa and Japanese anime. My eldest son at age 16 is learning Japanese to understand better anime and Japanese culture.

Some girls here have a kind of Cinderella-like mindset: Some day, a prince will suddenly come to and love her. That kind of plot is still popular in some dramas and manhwa, where the prince is  changed to a rich and handsome man in the modern version.

A joke says that there are 3 genders in S. Korea. Men, women and Ajumma. Ajumma denotes women at ages between 34-55, particularly those in menopause. They are hard working, usually more aggressive and masculine than men, and tend to speak loudly while traveling abroad. You can easily recognize them: East Asian aged women shouting confidently in the mall or hotel while wearing relatively nice apparel and hand bag. They travel a lot because their kids are already grown up to be in college, freeing them from education duty, and they have a lot of leisure time. No man here dare to confront or argue with them. Actually both young and aged men here tend to look more feminine than Ajumma.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Taka on October 05, 2013, 02:47:06 PM
i'll watch if i can find english subtitles.

Yes. English-subtitled version is available in Amazon or Netflix:

http://www.amazon.com/Dae-Jang-Geum-vol-1/dp/B0009WSO66

It seems quite expensive, and I would rather rent the DVDs from Netflix or other online stores.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Taka

i'll try netflix if i can.

Quote from: barbie on October 05, 2013, 03:26:49 PM
Usually adults here do not read manhwa. When I was a kid, I liked reading it. My kids like manhwa and Japanese anime. My eldest son at age 16 is learning Japanese to understand better anime and Japanese culture.
that would explain why there's such a lack of manhwa for adults. i still recommend those titles that i linked, they're both beautiful stories, not particularly directed at young people. one of them is about being different and constantly having to find a place in an unaccepting society.
in japan there are many mangas for adults, some that i've really enjoyed reading. i wish your son success at learning the language, it shouldn't be too difficult for a korean person as many features are very similar.

and those ajummas really do seem like a species of their own. my mom would probably fit in with them really well.
  •  

Pica Pica

My inner child when my inner child was outer.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Taka

that looks just like you, pica.

some people change a lot as they grow up, but... that really looks like you.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Pica Pica on October 07, 2013, 02:17:31 PM
My inner child when my inner child was outer.

Pica,

Your inner child seems to still reside in you.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

WolfSpirit

Got my hair cut and colored today, what do ya'll think?

•  

Kim 526

Wow, great cut & color. Love the T shirt too!
"Peace came upon me and it leaves me weak,
So sleep, silent angel, go to sleep."
  •  

Jamie D

The new color looks as if it has some reddish tones to it.  The cut is rad!
  •