Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What’s your “personal” take on life’s purpose?

Started by Anatta, June 06, 2011, 05:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on June 06, 2011, 06:48:08 PM
love G-d, your children and friends; and battle for truth, justice, and American way!

Kate D
Kia Ora Kate

::) Is that the "first Nation's" American way? ::)  ;)

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Sabriel Facrin

After the chocolate is found and eaten, Life's purpose...
...life's...purpose...

It's finding more chocolate!  There! ^^
(I am enlightened by Justmeinoz)
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora

::) I'd like to add another two "sense" worth...

When it comes to this whole "purpose of life" thingy....

::) It's like this...If you can make sense out of "nonsense" you'll have the answer...  :icon_geekdance:  :icon_lalala:

But in a "sense"[excuse the pun] the world in which we live is actually one of "non-sense"...This might all sound somewhat confusing[a load of nonsense so to speak] and no doubt some might be thinking "what's this all got to do with life's purpose ?"
When in fact it as everything to do with life's purpose...

Think about it...

At times our senses tell us there's something more to life, but every time one tries to grasp it, one can't quite put ones finger on it, hence the "Non-Sense" I've been rattling on about...

Life equals "Non-Sense" !

One is continually making it's purpose up as one goes along [it's called "going with the flow"] and when it comes to one's long term goal well this is left to the individual's discretion...For example my "fixed" long term goal is to pursue "Happiness/Contentment"  and because I'm aware of the fact that other living things also want happiness in their lives, I look for ways to create more happiness for others along the way, and if this is not possible then I do my best not to hinder their personal pursuit...

So now do you get it?

If not, then I'll leave you all to figure it out in your own sweet time...Which I guess is the only fool proof way one will come to understand life's purpose...

Know thy "self" = know life's purpose for to know thy self is to know all life...

And most importantly DON"T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY !  :eusa_doh:

::) But alas I could be wrong.......

That is, all that I've been rattling on about could be a load of "NON-SENSE" !

Happy Mindfulness...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Pinkfluff

I believe the purpose of life is to experience the great balance between the infinite and the finite. I arrived at this once after much thought and meditation on the subject. The most obviously finite thing in life is life itself, though I believe that this life is only one of many, potentially infinite even. Because the Beyond is infinite, we experience the opposite of infinite everything during life, in which everything is finite.

There are other balances to be experienced too of course, such as happiness/sadness, pain/pleasure, stress/peace, and even those really are probably simplifications. Some things can only be learned from loss, and loss is one thing that is impossible in the higher plane because everything is infinite there. That is why loss is a constant part of life, but there are gains too. A gain feels alot different if you started with nothing and had to fight hard for it than if it was handed to you and you can have another whenever you want.
  •  

Pica Pica

I don't think it has a purpose, though it is the biggest source of opportunity there is and so it would be a shame to waste those opportunities.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Pica Pica

Quote from: Zenda on June 10, 2011, 08:10:24 PM
For example my "fixed" long term goal is to pursue "Happiness/Contentment" 

Funny you say that, because I am writing a satirical novel, in which the main moral purpose is to remind people that happiness is an abstract noun, and so cannot be pursued but only perceived.

Happiness is not a warm dog, a warm gun, a worn pun - it's abstract. It cannot be pursued, hunted like a rabbit, trapped or created - it can only be seen and those who pursue will be disappointed, but those who learn to refine their sensibilities to see happiness and moments of happiness are more likely to experience it.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

AbraCadabra

Well, firstly LIVE IS.

Next, live is to live it.

Next life will want to survive. Since we live, we will want to survive.
All else follows from that, including love your neighbour as you love yourself, etc. (or hate your neighbour as you hate yourself? Take your pick)

Nobody said only fish on a Friday, and all these other dogmas if they do not support live in the current time, and for oneself in person.

Note: If you can ONLY get fish on  a Friday --- then go eat it, of course!

Life essentially just requires the "livee" to live, and as best as circumstances allow.

Axelle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Pica Pica on July 20, 2011, 12:30:34 AM
Funny you say that, because I am writing a satirical novel, in which the main moral purpose is to remind people that happiness is an abstract noun, and so cannot be pursued but only perceived.

Happiness id not a warm dog, a warm gun, a worn pun - it's abstract. It cannot be pursued, hunted like a rabbit, trapped or created - it can only be seen and those who pursue will be disappointed, but those who learn to refine their sensibilities to see happiness and moments of happiness are more likely to experience it.

Kia Ora Pica,

"Happiness is "just" a state of mind !" ... And "free" to a good home...

•  

Julie Marie

With this continual shift in wealth going to fewer and fewer people I decided to take a look at the people society deems very successful, the ones who are rich, and use their lives to establish what we cherish most as being life's purpose:

To become wealthy and powerful.  Then no one can mess with you but you can always mess with them.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on June 08, 2011, 12:31:35 AM
Kia Ora Kate

::) Is that the "first Nation's" American way? ::)  ;)

I do not know what 'first nation's are?"

My quote was stolen from superman "Truth, Justice and The American Way," by me, a superwoman :)

Kate D
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on July 20, 2011, 01:23:28 PM
I do not know what 'first nation's are?"

My quote was stolen from superman "Truth, Justice and The American Way," by me, a superwoman :)

Kate D

Kia Ora Kate,

::) "First Nation People" I meant what is commonly believed to be the indigenous Americans...Superman was a bloody alien[in the literal sense] who didn't even hold a green card  ;) ;D

•  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Provided all my basic needs are met...What else is left for me to do but to continually pursue happiness in whatever form it takes...After all, who in their "right mind" would pursue/desire sadness ?  ;)

•  

kate durcal

Quote from: Zenda on July 20, 2011, 01:55:14 PM
Kia Ora Kate,

::) "First Nation People" I meant what is commonly believed to be the indigenous Americans...Superman was a bloody alien[in the literal sense] who didn't even hold a green card  ;) ;D

8 )Superman was adopted by the Kent's had a birth certificate issued as well as a ss#, graduated from high school and college. In all respect a full blooded American,oh! and is a fictional character.  >:-)

:police: As far as the American Indians, they were invaded, lost their land, and the war. So when I say and the "American way" I am referring to the USA.  :angel:

>:-) I fight for TRUE, as siproving the mumbo jumbo, enlightenment through sciences, a cosmological G-d.  :-*

: I fight for JUSTICE, as I will not sit idle when somebody or anybody is verbally or physically attacked
  ::)

:angel: I fight for the AMERICAN WAY, which for me is codified in the Constitution of the USA.  :angel:

This is my personal take on life purpose  :-*

Kate D
  •  

tekla

We don't refer to them as "First Nation" we call them - as they call themselves - "Native Americans" - get your PC terms right before you write.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: tekla on July 21, 2011, 10:12:56 PM
We don't refer to them as "First Nation" we call them - as they call themselves - "Native Americans" - get your PC terms right before you write.

Kia Ora Tekla,

::) My humble apologies  :icon_bunch: I meant no disrespect to your people Tekla...

•  

Anatta

Quote from: kate durcal on July 21, 2011, 10:09:33 PM
8 )Superman was adopted by the Kent's had a birth certificate issued as well as a ss#, graduated from high school and college. In all respect a full blooded American,oh! and is a fictional character.  >:-)

:police: As far as the American Indians, they were invaded, lost their land, and the war. So when I say and the "American way" I am referring to the USA.  :angel:

>:-) I fight for TRUE, as siproving the mumbo jumbo, enlightenment through sciences, a cosmological G-d.  :-*

: I fight for JUSTICE, as I will not sit idle when somebody or anybody is verbally or physically attacked
  ::)

:angel: I fight for the AMERICAN WAY, which for me is codified in the Constitution of the USA.  :angel:

This is my personal take on life purpose  :-*

Kate D

Kia Ora Kate,

::) What can I say to that..."You go girl !" [or is it supergirl ? ]  ;) ;D

Goodnight Kate....Sweet dreams...

•  

Ryno

I had to open this thread. Ugh. I have a lot of conflicting ideas in regards to this question. I once had a theory I believed summed it all up quite nicely and inclusively. The purpose of life is to find your own answer.

But as time went on I started finding my own ideas, and finding my own answers.

I'm spiritually questioning or confused. I don't know if I'm an atheist, agnostic, or spiritual. I therefore have various ideas to answer this question.

From an atheistic point of view, the purpose of life is to mature, reproduce (continue your genes and ensure the survival of your species), and die. Even death has an incredibly important purpose and life itself does not end there, because your body is left behind to return matter and energy to the universe and continue the process of life.

From an agnostic point of view, the purpose of life, simply put as before, is to find your own answer. There is no single, sole purpose of life as we all have our own needs and beliefs which cannot be forced upon anyone by anyone else.

From a spiritual point of view, I believe the purpose of life is to grow, to understand, to love, and to fight. To suffer in order to achieve happiness. To love yourself, others, the world, and the universe unconditionally. To remove selfish actions and to sacrifice yourself for the greater good. To continually learn about yourself, others, the world, and the universe both in a physical and spiritual way.

So, there are my three thoughts on the purpose of life. I'm often in a conflict between them but for the most part I can view them in unison. The first and third fit with the second because these are my answers. The first fits with the third because it is but one, physical way of understanding the purpose of life. The third, I think, envelopes the first in a feel-good, hippie, universalist kind of way.
Пудник
  •  

Elijah3291

life's purpose is to survive, and then die.  Just like any other animal.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Elijah on July 23, 2011, 08:22:49 PM
life's purpose is to survive, and then die.  Just like any other animal.

Kia Ora Elijah,

::) Short & Sweet....Straight to the point...Nice answer....

•  

Lisbeth

Everyone must bring their own meaning to life. That's the point. Don't take anyone else's meaning. It has to be your own.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •