Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What’s your “personal” take on life’s purpose?

Started by Anatta, June 06, 2011, 05:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

life's purpose is to survive, and then die.  Just like any other animal.

That seems pretty harsh, there are other options.  I'm guessing I'm going to die at some point, but I'd like to think I've done more than survive.  If nothing else I've had a hell of a good time, and at times I've brought some small amounts of knowledge, fun, art and entertainment into other people's lives.  I might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride.  Other animals don't have the choice to be fabulous, adventurous, or any of the other things that humans can choose and accomplish.  So you can dream, create, explore - or you can finish life at home in your spare time.  It's your choice.

Pretty much, at least for me, it's about freedom, food and sex.  If you are not free, it will drive you nuts no matter how comfortable your life is.  Food is critical to life, freedom when your starving is over-rated.  And then there is sex.  It's the essential force in the universe, our little part in keeping the whole thing moving on.  It's the most human thing any two humans can do with each other.   Or it's just a good time.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: tekla on July 23, 2011, 10:23:15 PM
Other animals don't have the choice to be fabulous, adventurous, or any of the other things that humans can choose and accomplish.

Maybe the other animals aren't as impressed with us as we are with ourselves.  Those other animals do some pretty amazing things but it's all in a day's work for them.

As for fabulous...
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Life has no purpose.  Life is an ambiguous poorly-defined concept created by humans.

Only intelligent agents (i.e. self-aware beings) can have purpose.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

AbraCadabra

"Purpose" and "Life" are a human concepts, ok. So you can make it what ever you wish. High and mighty, or very basic and mean (in the sense of ordinary and average).

As for me I do not think too much about MY purpose in life (female?).
If I could have had babies it have been to procreate I guess? And why not to buy LOTS of jewellery and nice outfits? :-)

Axelle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Renate

Quote from: kate durcal on July 21, 2011, 10:09:33 PM
I fight for the AMERICAN WAY, which for me is codified in the Constitution of the USA.

Well, it may be the American way, but it's not caught up with the 21st (or even the 20th) century.
Not to have any favoritism, but the German constitution has this to say:

Quote from: Grundgesetz, Art. 3, Abs. 1, Satz 1Männer und Frauen sind gleichberechtigt.

That is to say "Men and women have equal rights."

I've looked for this in the US Constitution but I can't seem to find it.
(The Equal Rights Amendment was first introduced in the US Congress in 1923.
In the intervening 88 years it has not been ratified.)
  •  

tekla

Maybe the other animals aren't as impressed with us as we are with ourselves.

That's why we invented nets, snares, traps, and guns.  Now let those animals laugh behind our backs.  We'll show 'em.

And I'm still pretty sure that on that huge cosmic level that there is no purpose at all.  That implies grand design and intentional creation, both of which look kinda hard to prove.  So I just leave it at: We're here for a good time, not for a long time.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Ser vie go, som werk for the gals to get done sen, ja "Gleichberechtigung" wunderbar, uhm.

However all this is actually put into reality is a different matter, ja.

I lived all through the 90s back in Munich and it was "business as usual" as at the time when I'd left in the 70s.

But... good intentions they sure are, with the initial version of feminism being rather unhelpful needs to be said too. (Just my take.)

Axelle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

kate durcal

Quote from: Renate on July 24, 2011, 10:52:31 AM
Well, it may be the American way, but it's not caught up with the 21st (or even the 20th) century.
Not to have any favoritism, but the German constitution has this to say:

That is to say "Men and women have equal rights."

I've looked for this in the US Constitution but I can't seem to find it.
(The Equal Rights Amendment was first introduced in the US Congress in 1923.
In the intervening 88 years it has not been ratified.)

I knwo all the German I need: "Arbeit macht frei"
  •  

Maga Girl

I moved this

Quote from: Narela on July 25, 2011, 06:16:57 PM
Today I went to my psychiatrist...

We told about my problems ...

1.- Gender dysphoria
2.- The purpose of life

and finally, she asked me, ''how we can help you''  ?=?

i said..
the problem with my gender = hormones
but I do not think with the purpose of life

This is my big problem... even get a woman's body, I know I will not be happy
i said this too.. 

for me, life hasn't a purpose, is to live to live ...   What is the purpose of life?!!!
  •  

tekla

Well there are three pages of replies here, pick whatever you like.
  •  

foosnark

Two thngs:

-- there is no purpose that we do not find ourselves.

-- the purpose of all the action in the universe -- all natural laws, all creation, all evolution, all history, all life, all growth, all diversity -- is the expression of what may be.  We exist because of what happened before.  What happened before, happened because it was expressing itself.  We exist because everything in the universe(s) accidentally collaboraed to make us.  And the future will take its form because of how we express ourselves, how the gravity of stars expresses itself, how hydrogen expresses itself...
  •  

tekla

Richard Feynman used to go up to people all the time and he'd say "You won't believe what happened to me today... you won't believe what happened to me" and people would say "What?" and he'd say "Absolutely nothing".

Because we humans believe that everything that happens to us is special and significant. And that — and Carl Sagan wrote beautifully about that in The Demon-Haunted World — that is much of the source of religion. Turns out, everything that happens is unusual.  The likelihood that any person and I would ever meet, if you think about all the variables: the probability that we were in the same place at the same time, that we ate breakfast the same. Whatever. It's zero. Every event that happens has small probability... but it happens. 

So really the one thing that physics tell us about the universe is that it's big, rare events happen all the time — including life — and that doesn't mean it's special.

Or, this famous quote from Lawrence Krauss, also a physicist.
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn't be here if stars hadn't exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren't created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.
  •  

Julie Marie

Humans seem to have an innate desire to have an all powerful being in their belief system.  Not all, but most.  By creating this entity they make themselves special.  "When I leave this earth I will be taken to a special place that I deserve to go because I am so special that ending my existence is unthinkable."  So therefore there is a purpose for us being here, a mission we have to fulfill.  That's why we were sent here, to do something special, that no one else could do.  This exaggerated sense of self often justifies in our mind looking down on other people, judging them, criticizing them and even being cruel to them. 

I was driving along the highway to avoid rush hour traffic and I went under a tunnel.  I turned to my right and saw a cardboard box and a man was looking out of it at the passing cars.  Even without him being in a box, it was easy to see he was homeless.  In my more "special" era of life I would have parroted what I had heard so many times growing up, "BUM!"  But that day I tried to put myself in his place.  He was born just like everyone else and somehow, along the way, he ended up in a box under a bridge.  I doubt he ever said that that was his life's purpose.  But one could say his purpose was to make people realize we only have one life and how you live it will be how you enjoy it. 
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

LordKAT

The purpose of life is...life. Survival. Nothing more. The choice is in how we deal with that survival, can make it boring and a slow ride downhill, make it exiting and risk death at every turn, gather money like it has everlasting value, give of yourself till you have nothing left of yourself, or create little ones in the hope that they will make better choices than you did or somewhere in between.

These choices relate to happiness quite often. Sometimes as the cause of it and sometimes as the result of it.
  •  

Silas

Life is like a bowl of soup: you only get blown if you're hot. /shot

I think the purpose of life isn't set in stone. Everyone has to make their own purpose. (Lazies, we're not going to just make your purpose for you! Find your own.) If a person says their life has no purpose, then they're right. And if another says theirs is to be the salt of the earth (which is funny when you think about it), or to learn, or to just be happy, then they're all right, too.

It's all what you make of it.

Personally, my purpose is to live and have the best time doing so as I can.
  •  

tekla

All of Germany's history, achievements, hopes and dreams, obliterated by 3 words
Nope, all that stuff was obliterated by pure hate.  That's the power of hate, ten years of it can wipe out centuries of achievement.  Germany didn't make a bad political decision, they committed cultural suicide and pretty much took the rest of Europe with them.  Up to that time Europe was the dominant cultural, scientific, technological and financial power in the world, now that's shifted to China and the USA, and it's going to be a long time - if ever - before Europe regains that.

So many lies were spoken in German in the 20th Century that it will take two or thee more centuries before anyone can ever believe anything said in that language again.

The sign was over a nazi death camp; not over Germany itself.
The hell it wasn't.  That sign became the totality of German Culture.  Germany put it up, they have to live with it.  It may have only been at one camp (out of how many?  Oh say about 1,200 camps and subcamps in countries occupied by Nazi Germany) but that one camp becomes the symbol for all the camps, and with that Auschwitz, and it's three million people who died there (2.5 million gassed, and 500,000 from disease and starvation according to the camp's first commandant, Rudolf Höss) serves as the icon of the unspeakable horrors that Germany inflicted on just about everyone they came into contact with during the Nazi period.

Arbeit macht frei - which, by themselves are true
Work does not make people free, it does not liberate people.  What makes people free is the willingness to suffer the insecurity that freedom brings instead of trading it for comfort.

Though it's pretty hysterical that in part creating those slave labor camps to produce for the Nazi war machine went a long way toward losing the war for Germany.  Dig it.  Germany had an astronomical rate of weapons failures.  Particularly explosives, which after the people in the camps had assembled them had a tendency not to explode.  The slave workers did everything they could to sabotage production.* 

The American idea was slightly different.  We put women into industrial production.  Over 11 million women went to the factories and shipyards during World War II, Rosie the Riveter was the all-American girl.  And you know what they did?  They built the toughest >-bleeped-< ever tossed into combat.  US planes could get shot to hell, get half a wing shot off and still make it back home.  You know why?  Because those girls were not building those planes at the point of a gun under the orders of a self-proclaimed "master race," they were building them for their dads, their brothers, their sons, their boyfriends and the boy next door.  They also built ships - right here in the Bay Area.  How good were the girls?  The first ships required about 230 days to build (Patrick Henry took 244 days), but the average eventually dropped to 42 days. The record was set by the Robert E. Peary, which was launched 4 days and 15½ hours after the keel was laid.  Them girls rocked!  Pretty much they rocked twice.  They rocked once over here building the weapons, and then they pretty much rocked Germany into rubble when the weapons were delivered.  Work does not make you free, but free people do much better work.  Like everything else the Nazi's had it ass backwards.

But perhaps if we look at it another way work does make you free, by way of prisoners doing the work so badly, Germany lost and America showed up and liberated them.

* - At the Gustloff factory in Buchenwald, prisoners succeeded in systematically reducing the production of carbine barrels over a period of months, while at the same time wearing out enormous numbers of special tools. In Natzweiler, during the disassembly of damaged airplane engines, prisoners also damaged the parts that were still intact. At the Heinkel Works, young Russian prisoners from Sachsenhausen regularly removed valves that were extremely difficult to replace. In rocket assembly at Dora-Mittelbau, prisoners diverted materials being transported, disposed of small parts on the sly, rendered tools unusable, and welded seams in violation of all technical specifications. The success of such acts of sabotage rose in direct proportion to the extent the SS itself was involved in monitoring production
http://thirdreichseasternlegionsandpows.devhub.com/blog/534473-slave-labourers-and-sabotage/

•  

Pica Pica

Quote from: tekla on July 26, 2011, 11:45:21 AM
* - At the Gustloff factory in Buchenwald, prisoners succeeded in systematically reducing the production of carbine barrels over a period of months, while at the same time wearing out enormous numbers of special tools. In Natzweiler, during the disassembly of damaged airplane engines, prisoners also damaged the parts that were still intact. At the Heinkel Works, young Russian prisoners from Sachsenhausen regularly removed valves that were extremely difficult to replace. In rocket assembly at Dora-Mittelbau, prisoners diverted materials being transported, disposed of small parts on the sly, rendered tools unusable, and welded seams in violation of all technical specifications. The success of such acts of sabotage rose in direct proportion to the extent the SS itself was involved in monitoring production
http://thirdreichseasternlegionsandpows.devhub.com/blog/534473-slave-labourers-and-sabotage/

How brave is that?
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

tekla

How brave is that?
This is the sentence that blows my mind:
The success of such acts of sabotage rose in direct proportion to the extent the SS itself was involved in monitoring production

That's fearless.  Turns out when you strip people of everything they ever had and ever will have, they don't have much to lose anymore.
  •  

Pica Pica

Quote from: tekla on July 26, 2011, 12:10:19 PM
Turns out when you strip people of everything they ever had and ever will have, they don't have much to lose anymore.

What's more, they didn't become nihilists and do nothing or take bizarre pleasure in destruction - nothing to lose except life and risking that to halt a little destruction.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

tekla

True.  And insteed of asking a bunch of amatures like us about the purpose and meaning of life, everyone should read the masterpiece on the subject,  Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning: From Death-Camp to Existentialism (originally published as trotzdem Ja zum Leben sagen: Ein Psychologe erlebt das Konzentrationslager).  Frankl chronicles his experiences as a concentration camp inmate and describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding meaning in all forms of existence, even the most sordid ones, and thus a reason to continue living.

It's one of about twenty books that radically changed my life.  After I read it in high school I pretty much shut-up about how bad my life was, and tried instead to find the good, and enjoy how well I really had it.
  •