•  

A

The above is the simplified one, right?
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

Taka

yup, pretty obvious really. you'll easily see what news are from china if you know what to look for. it's so much harder to see the difference between taiwanese and cantonese since both use traditional chinese, and i don't really speak any chinese
  •  

A

A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

justmeinoz

Funny Tekla, I thought you were from California not Vulgaria!
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

tekla

LA is the capitol of Vulgaria.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Luna!

I never thought it was anything but an 'a', although I did have the advantage of knowing exactly what it was from the beginning...

Quote from: explorer on June 24, 2011, 10:29:12 AM
you've obviously not seen enough bad handwriting yet.. the japanese can write their characters even more unrecognizable than a's あ
Reminds me of when I was there; they thought my writing was 'so cute! ^_^' despite my opinion that it was nothing exceptional. Turns out that they can write just as messily in Japanese as some English speakers write their own language. Who knew?

Fun fact: the first word in the Chinese comparison there (lianai), when translated to Japanese, uses one kanji from each script.
(恋愛 - ren'ai; first one's simplified, second's traditional.) It's shown as an option in my Chinese dictionary, too.
  •  

Taka

Quote from: Luna! on June 25, 2011, 07:53:26 PM
Fun fact: the first word in the Chinese comparison there (lianai), when translated to Japanese, uses one kanji from each script.
(恋愛 - ren'ai; first one's simplified, second's traditional.) It's shown as an option in my Chinese dictionary, too.
i thought i'd keep that a secret, but then you just had to tell it, huh? (nah, jk)
some kanji have been simplified in japanese too, but at some later point the chinese just had to simplify their script even more. actually you can (theoretically) also use the purely traditional script in japanese. a good digital dictionary will take you to the entry for 恋愛 when searching for 戀愛, but it doesn't recognize the new simplified chinese, so a search for 恋爱 won't give any results. you'll also find the traditional characters in kanji dictionaries
i somewhat wish they never simplified any characters, the traditional characters look so pretty
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: Luna! on June 25, 2011, 07:53:26 PM
I never thought it was anything but an 'a'

It had never even crossed my mind that it would be anything other than A.  Then again, I've played multiplayer games which are popular in other countries, so I'm used to seeing people type in other languages.

Now that I've taken a good look at it, it does look a bit like a self-sealing stembolt.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Amazon D

Quote from: Padma on June 23, 2011, 12:24:25 PM
It looked like a tap/faucet/robinet to me :). Good to know...

Yea it was like pink water pouring out with the faucet turned on and then the ! was like it splashed up
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Sera

I never people could be so imaginatively blind! Wonderful!
  •