Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My Avatar Isn't Vulgar

Started by A, June 23, 2011, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A

I've been noticing that people always put weird images on my avatar, so I kind of wanted to clarify.

This is a " あ " written with lipstick followed by a " ! ". " あ " is hiragana, a japanese "alphabet", for the sound "A".

It is not :

-A penis
-Blood
-A schematized sexual act
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

Hikari

lol, I never thought anything like that, but now that you mention it, I think it looks like.... :p just kidding
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Padma

It looked like a tap/faucet/robinet to me :). Good to know...
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Janet_Girl

I never gave it much thought.  Figured it meant something to you.  Which it does.   ;D
  •  

Sarah Louise

I hadn't realized that anyone thought it was Vulgar.  It looked innocent enough to me.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Annah

wow! Who said it looked vulgar??

If anything, it looks like a standard warp core manifold latch!
  •  

Sephirah

Just as an aside... the mind doesn't recognise negative words such as 'not', because it first has to visualise such concepts in order to ascertain what not to see it as, and by then it's too late. ;)

If I said to you 'don't think of a giant orange elephant', what's the first thing you think of?
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Sabriel Facrin

Quote from: A on June 23, 2011, 12:00:13 PM
It is not :

-A penis
-Blood
-A schematized sexual act

Truth be told...At first I thought it looked like a faucet drawn with a red marker or highlighter...But on a second glance I noticed it was some eastern hemisphere language character.  I thought Korean, personally, but hey, the more you know ^^
  •  

Padma

Quote from: Sephirah on June 23, 2011, 08:01:11 PM
If I said to you 'don't think of a giant orange elephant', what's the first thing you think of?

Weirdly enough, a purple elephant. Am I broken? :).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Amy85

Quote from: Annah on June 23, 2011, 07:41:24 PM
wow! Who said it looked vulgar??

If anything, it looks like a standard warp core manifold latch!

:D +3 awesome points for a Star Trek reference!
  •  

Taka

i never saw it as anything other than [a]. i somehow got so used to reading japanese that i saw that avatar of yours at least 5 times before it dawned to me that this [a] was written in a "different alphabet", and therefore some people might not understand it at all
  •  

Muffins

It looked to me like a nonsensical scribble with a "!". But .... it is written with crayon. xP
Now it looks like a badly crayoned あ !
  •  

justmeinoz

I always thought it looked like an "a" in a script I couldn't recognise.

Or maybe just a simple, "May the teeth of a thousand Lisigoths rend your bowels, and send your screams echoing through the desolate wilderness in which you tormented soul is condemned to wander for eternity!",  or similar; in Klingon!

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Da Monkey

I don't know how someone could think it looked dirty but I guess to be fair I knew what it was. I still remember some Japanese from high school classes.

Although (how I was taught anyway) the part that looks like a 't' overlapping the 'loop' extends through the loop more and is also longer at the top.
The story is the same, I've just personalized the name.
  •  

A

Well, it's handwritten, so like with the alphabet, variations appear.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Sera

I ALWAYS thought it was a Japanese symbol.  I had no clue so few people could recognize the language of such a powerful country.  Then again I have trouble identifying Chinese from other mainland asian languages.... Really easy to pick out Japanese and Korean though.  Japanese= less lines usually Korean=lots of circles...
  •  

A

Chinese is easy too: Japanese without a single hiragana or katakana (Japanese always has some hiragana, be it the no [の] that's the most recognisable as it does not
exist at all in Chinese).
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

tekla

That's too bad, I'm quite the connoisseur of vulgar (lewd, tasteless and indecent rank up there too).
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Taka

Quote from: Da Monkey on June 24, 2011, 09:10:16 AM
Although (how I was taught anyway) the part that looks like a 't' overlapping the 'loop' extends through the loop more and is also longer at the top.
you've obviously not seen enough bad handwriting yet.. the japanese can write their characters even more unrecognizable than a's あ
Quote from: A on June 24, 2011, 09:39:45 AM
Chinese is easy too: Japanese without a single hiragana or katakana (Japanese always has some hiragana, be it the no [の] that's the most recognisable as it does not
exist at all in Chinese).
tried distinguishing between traditional and simplified chinese? if i ever learn chinese, it'd have to be taiwanese or cantonese. simplified chinese looks so weird
  •  

A

A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •