Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

2 Convicted of Murdering Transgender Teen

Started by Chaunte, September 12, 2005, 09:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaunte

This just came over Yahoo News......

By MICHELLE LOCKE, Associated Press Writer

HAYWARD, Calif. - Two men who had sex with a transgender teen and then discovered she was biologically male were convicted Monday of her murder, but cleared of hate crime charges.

Michael Magidson and Jose Merel, both 25, face mandatory sentences of 15 years-to-life in prison for second-degree murder in the killing of Gwen Araujo, who was beaten, tied up and strangled.

The jury was deadlocked in the case of a third man, Jason Cazares, 25, marking the second time a jury was unable to reach a verdict in his case.

Araujo, 17, was born a boy named Edward but grew up to believe her true identity was female. The defendants, who knew her as Lida, met her in the summer of 2002. Magidson and Merel had sexual encounters with her, experiences that fueled suspicions about Araujo's gender.

The issue boiled over in the early hours of Oct. 4, 2002, in a confrontation at Merel's house in the San Francisco suburb of Newark.

In the first trial, the three defendants stuck together, with their lawyers attacking the chief prosecution witness, Jaron Nabors, who was also at the house the night Araujo died but was allowed to plead guilty to manslaughter.

But in the second trial, the defendants' united front cracked, with Merel implicating Magidson.

Nabors testified at both trials that Araujo was savagely attacked after her biological identity was revealed when her underwear was pulled aside. He said he didn't see the killing but saw Magidson pull a rope toward the teen's neck.

Magidson testified that he beat and tied up Araujo, adding that while he couldn't remember large parts of the night he was sure he had not strangled her. He said Nabors was the killer.

But Merel, testifying for the first time, broke down and cried when prosecutor Chris Lamiero asked him directly if Magidson had admitted strangling Araujo. He testified that Magidson had told him "if push came to shove" Merel should identify Magidson as the killer.

An autopsy found that Araujo died of asphyxiation associated with head injuries.

Nabors testified that Merel smashed Araujo in the head with a can and also hit her with a pan. Merel said he slapped Araujo and hit her a glancing blow with the pan, but he denied seriously injuring her.

Cazares said he was outside the house when the killing took place and only helped bury the body in a shallow grave in the Sierra Nevada foothills.

Merel's attorney said he was not guilty of anything more than felony assault, if that.

Magidson's attorney asked for a manslaughter conviction.

•  

Shelley

These boys were somebodies children how devistating for all of the parents involved.

Shelley
  •  

Chaunte

Shelley,

I have mixed feelings about this incident.

Part of me is glad that the criminal justice system worked in regards to the death of this poor child.  It seems that TG individuals tend to get the short end of the stick.

On the other hand, you are absolutely correct.  These kids have thrown their lives away by committing this act of violence.  It's heartbreaking for the parents and they have to be wondering what they did wrong.

Chaunte
  •  

Shelley

Hi Chaunte,

You just count yourself so lucky as a parent when your kids reach adulthood and they haven't done things seriously wrong or hadthings seriously wrong done to them. Your also lucky if they are well balanced and accpeting of others.

So far four down two to go.

For the parents of the TG teen my heart breaks for them. Someone once said we are not supposed to outlive our children and I have to agree. I don't think there could be anything more painful than loosing your own flesh and blood.

Shelley
  •  

beth

they will serve about 7 years in calif unless they murder again in prison. the poor boys will have all their dental work and work out in the gym and watch TV for 7 years. sorry i have no simpathy for their parents, their child murdered for god sakes.

if there ever was a hate crime, this was it. the definition of hate crime is criminal behavior perpetrated because of her being transgendered, exactly what happened to her, killed because she was transgendered.

beth
  •  

Shelley

The reason I feel for the parents Beth is because those who committed the crime will only feel hard done by by the system and will probably try to explain their actions away. It was not the parents who committed the crime but I know if it were me and one of my children I would not be able to avoid taking some of the blame myself and as for the parents of the victim the pain would be unbearable. It was they that my last comments were directed. It is they that out have outlived one of their children and that is what is not supposed to happen.

Shelley
  •  

beth

it is possible the parents do share some blame. the culture that these men were brought up in and lived in allowed them to murder someone because she caused them to participate in what in their minds was a homosexual act. this wasnt an incident caused by psycopaths, the prevailing culture, in which the parents play a role, rejects and ridicules homosexuality (which these men thought this was) so harshly that murder seemed less of an evil  than admitting what they had done. even the mainstream culture represented by the court only convicted them of second degree murder. Does anyone think that would be the case if this was a natal 17 yo girl who was beaten and choked to death and discarded in a ditch?

beth
  •  

beth

and if after sex they found out she was a black girl posing as a hispanic and killed her for that would they have been charged for a hate crime?  they most certainly would have been.

beth
  •  

Shelley

I take your point Beth,

It seems the world over that the courts are looking for reasons to lessen a sentence rather than appropriately punish those who break laws.

I also agree that when it comes to crimes against transgendered or homosexua members of society it does appear that these victims are not seen as victims of hate but bad circumstances.

I don't no what the answer is because in adversarial system based on precedent each time ground for a defence is granted then we move the goal posts away from the victim and start from a reduced standpoint.

Shelley
  •  

Terri-Gene

QuoteAs long as we tolerate corruption in all parts of America society and the law will continue to deteriorate.

I see a major flaw in that statement as it's meaning depends on who you are talking to.  Many would consider any GL, TG, and especially TS's to be a corruption that will deteriate society and by your statement, such should be eradicated at any cost.  It is the principle of discrimination itself that needs to be delt with, not who or what it is that is discriminated against.

I define discrimination as non tolerance for something you don't understand without evidence that it will cause any of the conditions that one fears it will.  If I have evidence or fact that something will have adverse affects on quality of life, for myself or others, then it would not be discrimination to actively lobby against it or to actively display my intolerance of it.

Terri
  •  

Terri-Gene

QuoteI also agree that when it comes to crimes against transgendered or homosexua members of society it does appear that these victims are not seen as victims of hate but bad circumstances

Sounds a lot like the drunk driving issue before such things as MADD.  It was presumed that since a drunk driver was in an incopassitated conditon because of alcohol, they were not responsible for any damage they caused, in other words, they were relieved of responsibility, even though they choose to continue a behavior that was already proven to be distructive even after repeated violations and accidents which were alcohol related.

it was the alcohol that was to blame, not the person who irresponsibly consumed it.

Terri

•  

Shelley

Great example Terri,

It comes down to deminishing responsibility. They are in effect saying through this ruling that some of the blame can be apportioned to the victim.

Shelley
  •  

stephanie_craxford

QuoteIt comes down to deminishing responsibility.

It's unfortunate that this excuse is used to explain and mitigate so many crimes.  Personally I believe that anyone who enters into, initiates, partakes of, becomes involved with, an act, or behaviour, that would normally be know to lead to irresponsible behaviour, or have, or have an effect on that person to cause irresponsible behaviour, that would endanger, or cause harm, or death to another, is guilty of a crime punishable by ...

Just my thoughts,

Steph
  •  

Shelley

One side of me agrees with you Steph,

The problem is that as reasoning beings one size does not fit all. It comes down to this I guess.

If I build a wall and don't brace it properly while the cement is setting and that afternoon the wind blows it over and it kills someone. Is this the same as someone who kills a number of people in a killing spree for the shear thrill of it. Obviously not so we set a precidence and punish one less than the other. The moment this precident is set we begin to diminish the law.

We start out with thou shalt not kill. We end up with murder, manslaughter, culpable driving, industrial manslaughter, negligent behaviour occasioning death and this is only a small part of the list and then you can add justifiable homicide.

Eventually we add murder that is a hate crime and other versions to prop up the law. I don't know what the answer is but I do know there must be flexibility. How we, as a society, control the exercising of this flexibility I do not know.

Shelley
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey there,

QuoteIf I build a wall and don't brace it properly while the cement is setting and that afternoon the wind blows it over and it kills someone. Is this the same as someone who kills a number of people in a killing spree for the shear thrill of it.

I think it is Shell.  That's why there are codes that are in place to protect the innocent.  I think it was in South Korea where an owner of a building knowingly built it taking short cuts, and using sub par material, not according to building codes.  He was found to be guilty for killing hundreds of innocent people when the building collapsed.  He knew the risk and decided to take it.  Although he didn't do it for the thrill, he did it to save money, and to line his own pockets.  Who is more villainous?

Chat later Shell  :)

Steph :)

oops are we moving off topic ?
  •  

Miss Placed

I was going to write a long reply here, but have decided to keep it all for a proper 'Introduction' post about myself. For now I want to post just this.

The murder of Gwen Araujo, her story, her life and the events surrounding her death, were the catalysts that eventually woke me up to 'me', that sent me off on a voyage of research, of self discovery, a voyage that eventually made me recognise that there could be a woman in me, and that it was ok to recognise her, a voyage that led me to this place.

I would give my all to bring that child back but I cannot, no one can, but there is a child in me that needs me too, and I can give my all to bring her back.... I hope.

•  

Phoenix

i've seen a picture of gwen arunjo and she llooked beautiful
  •  

melissa_girl

•  

Phoenix

•  

Sara

Another crime where males show their true colors. Did I say how much I dislike men for their behavour. These guys got their pride dented and they should have run home with their tail between their legs but instead they had to show just how stupid men can be by thinking with their private parts. MURDER not manslaughter, they are the ones who ripped her panties off, RAPE AND MURDER. Dont get me steamed up about this cause I would like to hang those BAS*ARDS but guess what, I thought about it before I came to that decision with my brain not the thing between my legs (soon to be cut off).

I am sad for all families concerned as they did not ask for this to happen but it makes you wonder how some people bring up their sons and to a lesser extent daughters.

Sara.
  •