Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What's your "Quit" anniversary date?

Started by Tracey, July 05, 2011, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everbrooke

I don't believe I was ever "addicted" to marijuana, but I was dependent on it for some time.  It was the ONLY thing that helped me with crippling anxiety...until recently.  HRT has completely changed that in me, and I don't have a dependency on weed anymore.  I still smoke it, and ocasionally do psychedelics about every 6 months.  Don't intend on stopping these, because A.) One is due to my spiritual beliefs and B.) both have been proven as non-addictive substances and both have been shown to have positive effects.

That being said, I think I'm addicted to a pattern of food consumption.  Last month I dropped 40 pounds, and somehow today, being stressed out by many things, I walked into a terribly bad buffet that I knew wouldn't have good food and ate my fill.  I need to get over my addiction to food....
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Everything:  2/2/1996  Smoking:  Sometime in 1997, not really sure as I have no memories of my first 4 or 5 years, at least anything solid.  I had used of the "near death daily" type for 33 years, up until I got c/s I had never had a job, never had a drivers license, never drove a car, never had an apartment or home, never hiked camped fished hunted, never made a friend.   Dani
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Just found this and realized what a dismal note that ended on.  I was litrally allllmost asleep at the wheel on this post and just made it to bed before falling asleep in my computer chair.   ;D  I cannot, no way, no how remember where my thought train was heading but I can say this, nearing my 20th year so many cool things have happened I could write a book, so noooow I can finish this and actually be awake and know what I'm doing.   :laugh:  :laugh:   Dani
  •  

Jessie Ann

Smoker I was.  My latest quit date is 1/1/14 and I hope it is my last. I had various lengths of quitting ever since I started at age 16. I've gone 9 years, 4 years and 2 different 2 year periods of stopping. Now that I am on HRT I've got all the reason in the world to stay off them - I really love living now that I have transitioned. I used to not really care if I lived or died. Now I love waking up getting dressed up, putting on my face and going out into the world - I am woman hear me roar!
  •  

Stanna

Feb. 14, 2015. Came out to my wife and had my last drink the same day!
  I was drinking myself to death and eating unhealthy. But since that day I have come to love who I am and started to take care of myself. I lost 45 pounds and started HRT May 20. My wife loves who I am also and totally supports me.
  Life is good! :-)         Stanna
  •  

Catherine Sarah

September 2010. Could no longer keep up the front of a perfectly sane and normal person. Had to stop living the lie.

Have been a total nut factory, insanely mad and crazy ever since. Oh what a relief. Never felt better.

Now the inmates are running the asylum. Best thing yet.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Anna33

Quit smoking cigarettes on jan 10th 2010. Almost six years smoke free baby! Got back into sports in this period too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The truth is, I often like women. I like their unconventionality. I like their completeness. I like their anonymity. - Virginia Woolf
  •  

0searching0

December 22 2015. My first day in rehab. I had a drinking and coke problem. It's only been 8.5 months of sober life, but it's the longest I've been sober since I was 13 years old (ten years ago).

Time to quit smoking now!
  •  

Lady Sarah

I don't recall the exact date, but my last cigarette was in March of 2015.  ;D
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Lady Sarah on September 03, 2016, 03:24:05 PM
I don't recall the exact date, but my last cigarette was in March of 2015.  ;D
Me too.  It was Mar, 15.  Of course that was like the sixth time I'd quit, sometimes for a couple of years.  Hopefully it will stick this time.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

0searching0

Quote from: Deborah on September 03, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
Me too.  It was Mar, 15.  Of course that was like the sixth time I'd quit, sometimes for a couple of years.  Hopefully it will stick this time.

You can do anything you put your mind to :)
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Smoking in April, 2007.  I used Chantix.  You're supposed to use it for three months but I only did one month and it worked.  I still have a pack of cigarettes from the time I quit.   I also found out I was smoking the equivalent cost of a very nice digital SLR per year.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Deborah

Believe it or not, smoking was always connected to the dysphoria since I was 14.   Whenever it got really bad I'd always start smoking again.  I think it was all connected back to my mother smoking and my father not smoking. 

Hopefully, the dysphoria is gone for good now.  Maybe smoking is gone for good too.  It killed her.  I don't want that for me.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

LizK

25th August 2000 Been sober ever since

5th July 2016 Quit Smoking...YAY!!! Feeling so much better 8 weeks Tuesday

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

kaitylynn

Broke free of my yoke of drinking and smoking the same day, 6th of June, 1996.
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

0searching0

Quote from: Deborah on September 03, 2016, 06:08:31 PM
Believe it or not, smoking was always connected to the dysphoria since I was 14.   Whenever it got really bad I'd always start smoking again.  I think it was all connected back to my mother smoking and my father not smoking. 

Hopefully, the dysphoria is gone for good now.  Maybe smoking is gone for good too.  It killed her.  I don't want that for me.

Deborah,
That's actually quite fascinating. Isn't it funny how we all turn into our mothers or fathers to one extent or another. Good for you for quitting though.

0searching0
  •  

Lily Rose

i have thought in the past i was a alcoholic and may very well be. i haven't been drunk in the past six years however i have had the occasional drink for special occasions. this is only two or three times a year. one drink does me in now. the one thing i worry about is going into hiding again, will turn me into a total lush again. also i do worry about coming out to my family may drive me down that road again.

please forgive if this doesn't exactly belong to this thread.

"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

LizK

Booze August 1999 have abstained ever since

Cigarettes 05 July 2016 4.5 Months going strong

;D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

SueNZ

I will never quit. What I am heading to is control. I have never done drugs, never smoked but do drink a lot.
I am working on what makes me drink as I enjoy it and it does not control what I do. At the same time I do drink too much based on best daily intake.
The main thing I have quit is denial.
I do not deny who I am (to my self and those I am out to, but mainly to me), where I wish to be and how my coming out (blossoming) has made me a better person.
If you have quit something, you are extremely strong and you should be proud. Sometimes moderation works just as well.

Treat life's difficult times as if they are normal moments, this makes the normal and special ones even more fantastic.
  •  

antia212

I got sober February 12, 2012. It's such an important date that it's part of my screen name on this forum :)

•