Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hi, any parents of trans* kids out there?

Started by Silas, July 29, 2011, 12:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silas

I was just wondering, if there's any parents here, how long did it take you to accept your kids as trans? Do you still regard them as your sons/daughters in your heart, even if they've insisted the opposite? How long did it take to come around with names/pronouns? Did it hurt to use them? Does it still?

Sorry for all the questions; the reason I ask is because I'm still struggling with my mom and sister.

My sister will call me her brother to people and "he" me, but still calls me by my birthname. My mom makes no effort. She'll use "Chris" online and call me her kid. But offline, it's my birthname and daughter and she. She won't use Chris even though it's equally as unisex as my birthname, and I can't imagine a day where she calls me Christopher or Silas.

I hear my male name and masculine pronouns all day at school. I'm very shy there, and it feels nice and normal. I want to come home and unwind, without feeling like I'm being shot every time someone calls me she, or my birthname.

She says she'll always see me as her daughter, and hates that I'm changing my name when my grandma named me. I doubt I'll get permission later in the year when I've saved up for a legal change. 

I want her to come around one day, I don't want to feel detached from my mother all my life.

Any parents out there who can shed some light, maybe?
  •