Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Which do you "prefer" to be known as?

Started by Anatta, August 01, 2011, 01:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

After you have transitioned would you prefer ???

I am Transsexual
2 (7.1%)
I am Transgender
2 (7.1%)
Neither... just the gender I identify with...But for medical purposes "Transsexual"
16 (57.1%)
Don't really care it's only a name...
2 (7.1%)
Other...Please explain in a non criticising of others way...
6 (21.4%)
Neither ...Just the gender I identify with..But for medical purposes "Transgender"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: August 31, 2011, 01:04:58 AM

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) I'm hoping this will be a silent poll,[fingers crossed]  :police: where one will just tick the box and be done with... :angel:

So if your answer is simple could you please just pick a box that suits you and leave it at that..

For those who answer other, please just state what you would prefer and not what you find distasteful  >:-) about what you don't prefer...

::) I'll let the poll run for 30 days which should be enough time for most members who want to vote to vote...

Thanks once again for participating...If I've missed an option please let me know...But be nice  :angel:

Metta Zenda :)     
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Annah

such a complicated poll lol!

On one hand I would rather not be called either because I see myself as a woman and I present stealth for the most part.

However

If I am to tell someone about my history and my transition (at an event, lecture, etc), I call myself transgender. I don't like transsexual for myself so I don't use it.....but it doesn't mean I will disagree with someone who has the opposite opinion of me. Really, when you boil it all down, neither word is truly effective or 100% accurate.
  •  

Lisbeth

A habit born from several years as an activist, I generally say "transgender" to be as inclusive as possible. I have nothing against saying "transsexual."
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

LordKAT

..a rose by any other name...

It doesn't really matter that much but I have a name. That is the only 'label' I need.
  •  

tekla

I have a name

King Arthur: Old woman.
Dennis: Man.
King Arthur: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
Dennis: I'm 37.
King Arthur: What?
Dennis: I'm 37. I'm not old.
King Arthur: Well I can't just call you "man".
Dennis: Well you could say "Dennis".
King Arthur: I didn't know you were called Dennis.
Dennis: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?
King Arthur: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...
Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior.
King Arthur: Well I am king.
Dennis: Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Natkat

T-dude, transboy, >-bleeped-<, trans I don't care that much XD

I am transexual but I guess I would prefer the word Transgender its sound better but it also put a lot more questions about me than it answer.

what words I use depends on the situation and the thoughts behind the words.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Oh my, now I just got used to call "us" transsexual, based on the body sex, and now it seems the softer transgender is preferred once again. Oh well.

Even post-op I'll be transsexual technically, yet could hide behind the broader term transgender. I said so before and got outgunned on the "technical" level.

The first thing I knew when all went "nuts" (epiphany), I'm a woman --- inside.
But that was not one of the options, so I went for the "technical" (never mind medical) term transsexual.
In my experience it is a pretty hard hitting word for our condition, it really shocks some people.

EDIT: BTW I'm with Natkat's take 10/10

Axelle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Ann Onymous

I generally just identify as lesbian.  However, if there is discussion of my medical condition, then the term used would be 'transsexual.'
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Folks,

Public Notice Please Read !

::) Due to the overwhelming demand  ;) ;) I've changed the poll wording slightly on one answer and added an extra answer choice... I hope this will suffice...But I remember Abe Lincoln's "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time !"...But I do try  ;) ;)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Ann Onymous

Then move one from Option 1 to Option 3 when the math gets done...it does not seem to let us change our previously recorded vote.
  •  

Annah

lol , then you'll have to alter or create a new listing called "I identify with my chosen gender, but for medical reasons, I chose "transgender."  Because in all my dealings with my therapists, docs, etc., I've always used transgender; i don't think I have ever said "transsexual" outloud to any of my medical professionals.....and in the UK, they use "transgender" for medical reasons.
  •  

Padma

I don't use either term to describe myself (as someone in mid-transition), I just say "I'm going through a gender transition" because it feels more like soemthing that's happening than an identity. But afterwards, if necessary I may just say "I'm a trans-woman" and spare everyone the poteyto-potahto scenario :).
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Cindy

Australia is having a National census on 9 August. Last night at about 6.30 pm a two people arrived on my door step, one was a census taker (appeared female), the other I presume a person teaching her the job ( appeared male). I am flu ridden been off work and feeling lousy, I was in my nightie and dressing gown. They were to deliver the papers etc. 'We need some details to start' Do you live here balah balah, final question was what is your sex, and she ticked male straight away. I said my gender is female. The guy stopped her straight away, you put a line through the mistake and mark female. You do not ask for a persons sex, you request their gender.

Maybe the world is moving forward, this is the second time in a few months when I have given my gender to an official government poll and they have been fine with it.

Cindy
  •  

noeleena

Hi.

Im not really bothered as im both male / female . intersexed,  tho im accepted as a woman in my own right,

As it stands people in the main know me quite well so theres no reason to be concerned as to who i am as all my history is out there for people to read . put my name on the net,

tho at the time i did not say anything about being intersexed because as iv found out later it would have created more detail to contend with . so my wording was ,  im a transfemale with a male back ground . & that was the best way to over come most problems .
to us with in the trans community im intersex , so no big'e , as to names  = noel . no-el . & what most people use is noeleena & thats how people accept me .   just a woman.. a kiwi from down under,
...noeleena...
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

This poll closes today folks....

::) A Thank you to those who participated...

•  

Pinkfluff

I'm just a woman with a medical condition that has no name that I find acceptable. All of the "trans" words obviously contain the prefix "trans", which implies moving from one state to another. I am not moving from one state to another, simply seeking treatment for a condition.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Well, 16 out of 28 just prefer to be known as the gender they identify with, but for "medical purposes" they use the term "transsexual"...

Thanks again folks...

•