Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Statement from Rev. Dr. Julie Nemecek

Started by Kate Thomas, February 14, 2007, 01:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate Thomas

This statement is posted on a blog By Julie's son.

http://blog.myfathershe.com/2007/02/feb-12-statement.html
QuoteThe following is the text of my remarks at the student-initiated rally in support of me.

Statement from Rev. Dr. Julie Nemecek
Spring Arbor, Michigan - February 12, 2007

It is very appropriate that we are gathering on Lincoln's birthday to speak against oppression and discrimination. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of the brave students, faculty, and friends who have taken the time to join with me this morning in standing against fear. There is a heavy blanket of fear that smothers this campus. There are over 145 members of a group called "We Support Julie Marie Nemecek". Many of the Spring Arbor University students in that number are not here this morning for fear of reprisals. Many faculty members and staff are not here for fear of losing their job for exercising their first amendment right of free speech. I believe that the best antidote for fear is truth. The Apostle Paul says, "God has not given us a spirit of fear." Someone said, "Courage is realizing that there is something more important than your fears." Thank you for your courage. We will not let intimidating fear – whether born from prejudice or ignorance – defeat the truth.
<snip>
---------------------
Truth. There is no sin in living in joyful celebration for how God has made you. In the words of the Psalmist, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" by a God who knew me – and who I would become – from the womb.

"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •