Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Dalai Lama's newest book...

Started by Valerie, September 18, 2005, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

Hey I was going to post this as part of "Something to Discuss" on the Politics forum, but the topic was locked just before I posted it, so here y'all go, check this out for some interesting reading.

I came across this book by 'accident' (it was more like Divine Providence) this afternoon in the 'New Books' section at Barnes and Noble. It's not a creation/evolution thing, but a science/religion thing.

"The Universe in a Single Atom:The Convergence of Science and Spirituality", by His Holiness the Dalai Lama (Oh how I love that lama, he's got such a beautiful soul).  For those of you who don't know, the Dalai Lama is a Buddhist. 

Here's am excerpt from the dustjacket: 
Quote"...the Dalai Lama presents a brilliant analysis of why all avenues of inquiry--scientific as well as spiritual--must be pursued in order to arrive at a complete picture of the truth.  Science shows us ways of interpreting the physical world, while spirituality helps us cope with relaity.  But the extreme of either is impoverishing.  The belief that all is reducible to matter and energy leaves out a huge range of human experience...At the same time, holding unexamined spiritual beliefs...can lock us into fundamentalist cages...."

It'll be a while before I can actually sit down and read this, but at least I have it on hand now.

Valerie

PS--can anyone tell me what determines if/when a given topic gets locked?    ???
  •