Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Has your practice changed as you transitioned?

Started by grrl1nside, August 13, 2011, 06:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grrl1nside

I am wondering if anyone else has found that their spiritual practice has shifted as they transitioned. I've noticed for instance that the aspects of the gods and goddesses that I found easiest to relate to have altered. I also couldn't meditate/pray for a period while I was unsettled on transition. Once I accepted my need to transition (moving gradually but firmly forward) versus riding the waves of unhappiness, I found the gates opening again. I have always had a more feminine energy when I practice and I am finding that it was a little unsettled for a bit, but now it has returned only it seems to have shifted somewhat. Hard to put a finger on it. It is definitely changing and I'm having to rediscover some of the terrain.

I'm wondering if anyone else has faced this and what they found successful means of moving forward. I am solitary/practice with my wife so I'm always open to suggestions.
  •  

JungianZoe

I'm not sure my practices have changed a whole lot because I was always more aligned with what I felt were the feminine aspects of deity.  The one thing that's changed quite a bit since transition is that I feel much more attuned to my own nature and so practice just feels more natural.  Can't even imagine what happens after SRS. :laugh:

I also have more time to think about spiritual matters because my mind no longer dwells on when and how I'm going take the plunge into transition.  Because of that, my practice is slowly strengthening.
  •  

Lily

My focus has not shifted, but my understanding has grown. It is the calmness I feel from having accepted my self that allows me this understanding.
  •  

grrl1nside

Thanks for the thoughtful comments girls. I definitely am feeling more calm and I think having accepted my need for transition rather than remaining angst ridden has certainly allowed me to be more open again. Too much mental clutter was reducing my ability to hear myself on a more spiritual level. I think that I want to incorporate my practice with different phases of my transition. I figure each step of the way is worth celebrating and marking in some spiritually meaningful way. I'm planning on a reduction/clearance of some of my old boys clothes (although I'll have to keep a fair bit for now... sigh) and will use it symbolically as a form of rededication and marking a beginning of the journey. I'm thinking of how to turn making the first doctors appointment, choosing a name, and so on into something that is not just an emotional journey but one that is celebrated. Over the next while, I'm going to be giving a lot of thought about how to do that.
  •  

Pinkfluff

I suppose my practice has changed, since I was raised in a Christian environment and diagnosing myself with this condition happened at about the same time that I returned to my ancestral roots in terms of religion, but those two changes aren't really related.
  •  

Lily

Quote from: Pinkfluff on August 18, 2011, 01:16:46 AM
I suppose my practice has changed, since I was raised in a Christian environment and diagnosing myself with this condition happened at about the same time that I returned to my ancestral roots in terms of religion, but those two changes aren't really related.

My experience was very much the same. Rejecting my fundamentalist upbringing was prerequisite to my accepting who I was inside. It was later, after I was called by the Goddess that I found the courage to transition.
  •  

grrl1nside

I know that I certainly had to work through my relationship with Christianity, but ultimately when I look back I can remember myself always saying things like, "I feel closer to whatever is out there when I'm walking in the trees or sitting by the river." I don't know that I had to work through it, rather I just had to listen to myself and what was innate within. Of course, getting to that point wasn't easy.

Now, I am trying to work with my spirituality and integrate it with transition. Maybe, integrate is the wrong word. I am wanting my practice to be a seamless whole with my transition. For instance, I'm going to combine a purification bath and ritual with a weekend of cleansing my house. Part of that is to prepare my home for our second child, but another part of that will be going through a lot of my old boy clothes and starting to trim them out. I'm not even close to full-time, but I want to, at least symbolically, reduce that element of my life and make space for where I am going. I think transition is a difficult process for many and our paganism in whatever form can be a wonderful source of strength and beauty throughout.
  •  

Pinkfluff

Quote from: grrl1nside on August 19, 2011, 07:42:08 AM
"I feel closer to whatever is out there when I'm walking in the trees or sitting by the river."

I also always felt closer to the Divine in Nature than I ever did in some church.
  •  

Miniar

Actually, the "practice" hasn't changed so much, but the little details around it have, for me.
I used to get calendars that were "pagan oriented", little datebooks, because I've got a hell of a time keeping track of my "to do" lists and remembering things and I need a calendar to keep track of things. It is Necessary!
Then comes the day I decide to stop pretending to a girl, and the search begins for "not specifically marketed towards women" datebooks.
I still haven't found one.
And I've found more and more things that are specifically marketed towards women regarding any pagan beliefs what so ever.

It's a very woman centered market, and many of the smaller pagan religions are also woman centered.

Kinda makes me feel "out of place".

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

grrl1nside

Hi Miniar;

I'll get to marketing later but I kind of want to waffle for a bit if that is ok... I don't get many to speak to about this and feel free to completely ignore me....

I know how difficult it can be and I can see how you could have that feeling especially in regards to certain branches of paganism (it isn't just the marketing that is female centred). I know that for me to feel comfortable I've had to forge my own eclectic path. However, I  think it depends on the tradition you are closest to. For instance, Dianic Wiccanism would be a challenge (I know silly example) but Norse-based Asatru has never had a one-sided femine feel to me (I'm in North America and that might make a difference?). Depending on what aspects of paganism speaks to you, I could see being of some comfort whether the interesting gender issues in some of the stories around Loki and Odin, shape changing is found in other stories too, there is a strong warrior female tradition (depending on whether transition is in your plans), but also the whole plethora of male figures with varying talents. I don't know why I just assumed that it would be this branch that you would be connected too... How odd...??? Apologies if I'm wrong.

A lot depends on what speaks to us of course. I've found that certain stories, gods, goddesses, etc. speak to me. I don't ignore the rest, it is just that I go to what calls me. I think it does for a reason and that is what I need(?) or am being guided toward. It often feels unsettling to me and I certainly don't feel at home practicing in a group because what touches me is usually not quite in line with everyone else.

For myself, I merge the more feminine and soft ritual aspects that I find in Wiccanism and view of the aspects of the Goddess, with techniques learned from Shamanism that again help me get in touch with what I need, along with Norse stores of shape shifting, the female warrior aspects, that sometimes you have to battle  and Odin often reminds me that it is necessary to fight the good fight even though it might be still that you'll lose (Valhalla for you ;)). Some might consider it cherry-picking and ravaging religions and spirituality. In which case, I'll just smile and say so be it.  See, I said I would waffle...

The marketing and calendars... Hmmmm.... Well, you could go with say one of the Ciruelo datebooks that are dragon oriented (I think they are 16 month date books starting in September 2011). They look amazing and would certainly be less femme but I think would still be inspiring. I think you could probably turn it into a little celebration for yourself and add the key dates in the pagan year in it. If not, maybe a really beautiful but plain datebook would work. We often do this with our calendars and datebooks at home. We find what we like and then spend a few hours to get the key dates that we need for the pagan year.

I hope your search goes well and if you find something particulary cool in the way of alternative datebooks let me know.
  •  

Pinkfluff

Quote from: Miniar on August 20, 2011, 07:33:53 AM
Actually, the "practice" hasn't changed so much, but the little details around it have, for me.
I used to get calendars that were "pagan oriented", little datebooks, because I've got a hell of a time keeping track of my "to do" lists and remembering things and I need a calendar to keep track of things. It is Necessary!
Then comes the day I decide to stop pretending to a girl, and the search begins for "not specifically marketed towards women" datebooks.
I still haven't found one.
And I've found more and more things that are specifically marketed towards women regarding any pagan beliefs what so ever.

It's a very woman centered market, and many of the smaller pagan religions are also woman centered.

Kinda makes me feel "out of place".

I find this interesting because it has not been my experience. Granted, there isn't much Pagan anything where I live though. Wicca does seem to be rather female-centric, but Asatru is pretty well balanced. Thor must be one of the manliest Gods there are!

As far as keeping track of things, there are a variety of other solutions. If you have an iPod/pad/phone/something similar you can use that. I have a bunch of small paper pads lying around. They are pretty cheap to buy, but also not hard to find for free. I also have a dry erase board that I use for each day's objectives.
  •  

grrl1nside

I agree Pinkfluff... When my wife wanted to go down the Wicca path, I bought a particular book for her. I think it was called Witchcraft on a Shoestring or something like that. It has been a wonderful investment early on her spiritual journey because it allowed her to take ordinary things and turn them into something spiritual and meaningful for her rather than having to buy into what is turning into one growing market.

I like what you are saying about notepads, etc. and we certainly have done the same with other tools. If Miniar does want something more stock but maybe not strictly pagan then the dragon notebook I mentioned might fit the ticket. That being said, maybe something made or alternatively altered can be the source of great pride and strength. The nice thing is that it will be unique and change every year. Infusing a little creativity can mark the changing of the years and the life journey at the same time... But to each their own because I certainly know that I'm less than artistic and what matters most is to honour in the way that speaks most to us.
  •