Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My cat and I are not compatible.

Started by Alexmakenoise, August 20, 2011, 02:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexmakenoise

About 6 months ago, I took in a cat that needed a home.  The owner's home got foreclosed on, and, having no back-up plan, he moved into a residential hotel that did not allow cats. 

I was kind of lonely at the time and thought that having an animal around might cheer me up.  I enjoyed having cats while growing up.  I've had dogs more recently, they stayed with my ex when we broke up, and I miss them a whole lot.  I thought getting a cat would be a good idea because cats are better suited to city life than dogs are. 

However, now that I own a cat, I realize that I'm just not a cat person.  I've been trying to adjust and make it work, but I don't think I can deal with it much longer. 

I'm reluctant to go into detail about the ways in which we don't get along because it would just sound whiny.  She acts like a normal cat . . . sheds, meows a lot, makes a mess when using the litter box, uses my amp as a scratching post.

I've switched her to a healthier diet, and I brush her every day to cut down on the shedding.  But that hasn't helped much.  I just can't live with a cat.  It's reached the point where my 1-bedroom apartment is divided between her space and my space.

I've been asking around, trying to find her a new home, but I haven't had any luck yet.  Unless I can find someone who wants a cat, I'm at a total loss for what to do.  Any suggestions?

I also feel really guilty about this.  I shouldn't have given an animal a home, only to change my mind.  I was trying to do the right thing, but I was really pretty irresponsible.
  •  

Alexmakenoise

I should add that there are a lot of things about this cat's personality that a cat person would love.  She's very social.  She likes to cuddle, and have long conversations.

I'm not into the cat way of socializing.  I'm not into cuddling and having long conversations.  I don't want to be kneaded on and purred to.

I like the way dogs socialize.  I loved taking my dogs out for a hike and a swim, then coming home and taking a nap, each at our own respective ends of the couch, quietly enjoying each other's company.  I love playing games with dogs, and seeing how happy they get over stuff like a new toy, or a ride in the car.

I feel bad because if this was an animal I felt a real connection with, as I have with other animals that have been a part of my life, giving her up would be unthinkable.

I just have no idea how to find someone who loves cats, and wants one right now.
  •  

SandraJane

Quote from: Alexmakenoise on August 20, 2011, 02:17:37 PM

I'm reluctant to go into detail about the ways in which we don't get along because it would just sound whiny.  She acts like a normal cat . . . sheds, meows a lot, makes a mess when using the litter box, uses my amp as a scratching post.

I just can't live with a cat.  It's reached the point where my 1-bedroom apartment is divided between her space and my space.

I've been asking around, trying to find her a new home, but I haven't had any luck yet.  Unless I can find someone who wants a cat, I'm at a total loss for what to do.  Any suggestions?

..."her space and my space"... :laugh: That's cats for you, I have 3 in a one bedroom apt. also. One of them takes advantage of laying on top of my laptop whenever I put the top down!

It will take time to find her a home, if you do, and I imagine that the person you got the cat from hasn't been heard from since. Shelters only take in animals on an emergency basis. You weren't irresponsible.
  •  

tekla

They are very 'grillable' - just use lots of BBQ sauce.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: SandraJane on August 20, 2011, 07:12:57 PM
..."her space and my space"... :laugh: That's cats for you,
Weeeelllll... Actually it's her private space and the space she allows you into. That being said, I love cats!
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

SandraJane

As the saying goes...Dogs have Masters and Cats have Staff... :laugh:
  •  

Janet_Girl

If you can't find a good home for her, make sure she goes to a "No Kill" shelter.  Any other and she will sacrifice her life.
  •  

Princess of Hearts

I am definitely a dog person.   We had a cat staying with us recently and I realised that I couldn't live with a cat.   I like seeing cats outside doing their thing but I couldn't have one as a pet.   
  Don't feel bad about taking this cat, you have given her a home for the last six months.   Somebody will take her.

•  

V M

She acts like a normal cat . . . sheds, meows a lot, makes a mess when using the litter box, uses my amp as a scratching post.

There's such a thing as a normal cat?  :laugh:  It's the using the amp for a scratching post that would be the deal breaker for me

I like dogs, and I like cats... They all have their own personalities... I've had both, some were great, others drove me up the wall... Finding a pet that jives with you're personality and preferences is key

Best of luck to work the situation out so everyone is happy  :)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Alexmakenoise

Quote from: SandraJane on August 20, 2011, 07:12:57 PM
..."her space and my space"... :laugh: That's cats for you, I have 3 in a one bedroom apt. also. One of them takes advantage of laying on top of my laptop whenever I put the top down!

When I gave this cat full run of my apartment, she chewed on my records and scratched my amp.  Not my dinky little practice amp, but my Fender Twin Reverb. 

On top of that, her hygiene leaves much to be desired.  She digs so ferociously in her litter box that she gets cat litter and other litter box content everywhere.  She eats too fast, and then vomits in the worst places. 

I now confine her to the bedroom and bathroom, and keep most of my belongings in the living room and kitchen.

If I had a dog with similar behavior problems, I would know what to do.  A lot of canine behavior issues can be resolved through training, combined with giving the dog plenty of exercise.  Cats aren't so straight-forward.

QuoteIt will take time to find her a home, if you do, and I imagine that the person you got the cat from hasn't been heard from since.

Quite the opposite.  I've known the former owner for years.  We frequent the same bar / music venue, which he now lives above, and have a lot of friends in common.  A lot of people in our social circle are fans of this cat (she's a wonderful character if you don't have to live with her), were overjoyed when I gave her a home, and ask me how she's doing whenever we see each other.

I know that if I can bring myself to be upfront about what's going on, people will do whatever they can to help me re-home the cat.  But it's going to be hard.  I hate letting people down.  And their ability to help me re-home her may be limited, considering that these are the same people who were asking around six months ago, when I was the only one who stepped forward.

QuoteShelters only take in animals on an emergency basis. You weren't irresponsible.

The shelters here aren't accepting cats, anyway.  They're too full, and cat adoptions are at an all-time low:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/21/BAN11KPUN2.DTL&tsp=1

I guess I'll just have to take these troubles to the bar where I got the cat, and see if anyone else might offer to take her this time.

Perhaps that sounds callous, but I've exhausted all the other options.
  •