Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Foundation help

Started by Alyssa91, October 05, 2011, 01:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyssa91

I need some tips as to how to pick the foundation that's right for me. I have an oily "T" zone, as well as large pores on my cheeks, nose, and forehead. I believe I have what's called "combination skin".

Anyway I'm white, I think I'm a little lighter than most white people, but I'm not albino.

Is there any way to test foundation before you buy it? Or would it be as easy as holding the foundation up to my arm, or next to my face, and seeing if it's the same color?

???
  •  

Cindy

This might sound like a mission from Hell, but it isn't

I have done this, Tekla has done this, Justmeinoz has done this and no doubt many other woman at Sus's.

Go to the make up counter in a large store, I'm a Revlon girl 'cos I like Revlon colours. others like MAC, it doesn't matter. AND ASK THEM. What is the best foundation for my skin? how do I do my eyes? How do I apply lippie? Expect a two second shock. Then the professional steps in and realises you are a walking wallet. Theyb will advise and do a make over. They need the money. And honey get use to it. It is not embarrassing. You probably walk past a make up counter in every store and someone is being 'made up' who looks at them?   I have had my eyebrows tinted and styled in the middle of a mall with people walking past within meters. No one stopped and had a look. No one cared.

I had my make over in a major store. I calmed down after a few minute and yes I chatted to the girl doing my make over and she asked personal questions, but once she knew I'm TG and hadn't had the opportunity to practice with make up she was over me like a rash. I had women coming to me from the perfume counter, they need sales too.
No one, No one, made a nasty remark. I was called Cindy at all times, I was in male dress. No one in the passing public stopped to stare. If they had I think they would have been moved on.  Think; If  a young or even elderly woman is having a make over and a passer by stopped and stared and commented, how would staff react? With the young girl call the police, with the elderly , call security.

There are no laws to prevent you wearing make up, at least in Australia, USA and Europe. The last time I looked there are no laws to prevent you wearing clothes in the same countries. There my be local laws about toilets, but it seems to be a USA obsession.

You have the right to be yourself. The day a person laughs at you is the day you have won.

I will belabour a point. As it is relevant. I go to a reasonably expensive beauty salon. I have no problems with the staff they have no problems with me. Lauren, the owner, has been very friendly as have all the staff. It is a damn busy place. Two weeks booking needed. She stated the first time I went and I told her I was TG, she said if you have any TG friends they are very welcome to come here for anything from laser. wax, make ups for special occasions or make up lessons. It's all in the booklet.

She has been totally true to her word. Her staff have been great. I realise that there is this leap of faith. It may be different in the USA. I'm a Aussie chick.

Don't be frightened. Be positive. Because one day,  you will stand in front of a mirror and ask, Does my bum look big in this? And understand the question, and he won't :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hugs

Cindy
  •  

Alyssa91

Thank you Cindy  :) that helps a lot.

All I have to do is go to a makeup counter in a large store and ask them.

I should have thought of that myself. I'm not sure how I would feel about them actually applying makeup on me though, maybe just the foundation. I just don't want it to be obvious yet that I'm wearing makeup.

I'm very much closeted aside from my family that I love with, and I've never been in public any other way than guy mode. Overcompensating guy mode actually, usually with a winter beanie, a large jacket, and dirty skateboarding shoes. :(

Going to the makeup counter and simply asking is a brilliant idea though, I'll be doing that next time I get out.

Thank you Cindy :)
  •  

Devlyn

"you are a walking wallet" That was beautiful, Cindy! You made my day! Hugs, Tracey
  •  

caitlin_adams

It's one of the few times in life it's a good thing to be seen as a walking wallet. Money - the great equalizer.

Cindy's experience is similar to mine. I went to a boutique Australian cosmetic store called Gorgeous Cosmetics. They have outlets in our larger department stores and a few stand alone stores (similar to Napoleon Perdis).

They had a special $200 3 hour makeup 101 course where the make up artist gives you a makeover and you discover the products and collies that work for you and then wipes it all off ad does half your face whilst you do the other half.

I look really respectable but I'm not even close to passing, male puberty is clear. I went in to my booking dressed nicely though still using with my masculine voice and I was treated like a princess.

The $200 was redeemable on products, I ended up spending $300 and whilst I'm not proficient I can now do my own makeup. It was a great experience.

Department store counters you usually not have to pay, so that's a great solution
  •  

Alyssa91

Quote from: caitlin_adams on October 06, 2011, 05:05:18 AM
It's one of the few times in life it's a good thing to be seen as a walking wallet. Money - the great equalizer.

Cindy's experience is similar to mine. I went to a boutique Australian cosmetic store called Gorgeous Cosmetics. They have outlets in our larger department stores and a few stand alone stores (similar to Napoleon Perdis).

They had a special $200 3 hour makeup 101 course where the make up artist gives you a makeover and you discover the products and collies that work for you and then wipes it all off ad does half your face whilst you do the other half.

I look really respectable but I'm not even close to passing, male puberty is clear. I went in to my booking dressed nicely though still using with my masculine voice and I was treated like a princess.

The $200 was redeemable on products, I ended up spending $300 and whilst I'm not proficient I can now do my own makeup. It was a great experience.

Department store counters you usually not have to pay, so that's a great solution

That would be great, to have a whole sort of class showing me how to do things. I could definitely use it.

I don't think I'm ready for eyeliner or anything like that yet though. I'm not even part time, I'd really like to just figure out foundation. I think it would be very useful in covering up some of my large pores, as well blemishes.
  •  

tekla

You know the old joke about the guy walking up to the famous musician on the streets of New York and asking him "How do you get to Carnegie Hall"?  And the old musician replies: "practice young man, practice."

And it takes a lot.  Women you see who look good in makeup have spend years learning it.  Most of them have a drawer full of stuff they bought and it didn't work out.

MAC and the cosmetic bars at the big department stores are good.  But if you can find someplace like a Sephoria, or UltraBeauty, that have more than one brand to choose from, as the exact shade you need may not be in every line.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Alyssa91

Quote from: tekla on October 06, 2011, 11:37:50 AM
You know the old joke about the guy walking up to the famous musician on the streets of New York and asking him "How do you get to Carnegie Hall"?  And the old musician replies: "practice young man, practice."

And it takes a lot.  Women you see who look good in makeup have spend years learning it.  Most of them have a drawer full of stuff they bought and it didn't work out.

MAC and the cosmetic bars at the big department stores are good.  But if you can find someplace like a Sephoria, or UltraBeauty, that have more than one brand to choose from, as the exact shade you need may not be in every line.

Hmm, I haven't heard of Sephoria or UltraBeauty, there are malls around where I live though, and they have department stores in them, there's also a store called Ulta that my mom and sister shop at sometimes, but I've never been inside... I know they have hair extensions, I'm sure they have makeup too.
  •  

Ember

I don't know if you have them in your area but I went to a Bare Escentuals store.  My girlfriend was helping her mom switch to their makeup and I saw them watching a DVD that comes with the BE starter kit.  I was thinking about starting makeup at the time so my girlfriend and I went to the BE store at the mall. (also BareEscentuals.com)

Now, I told the person at the store that I was going to do some videos for my business and wanted makeup for that reason.  It was true, just not the whole truth! ;D  Not sure she bought it but she did a "make under" session with me.  She tried various foundation colors to find the right one for me and then did 1/2 my face, instructing me as she went and then I did the other 1/2. 

Satisfied with the results, I purchased the starter kit that had foundation, warmth (a dark powder for lightly shadowing certain areas) and mineral veil, a fine powder for the T zone.  It also had brushes and the instructional DVD that is just fantastic.

I've since added blush and lipstick and I now wear makeup every time I go out.  Since I'm androgynous I'm not trying to look totally female, just enhance my natural looks and feminize a little.

Hope this helps!  :)
  •