Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do you have friend/s who are gay/lesbian or know any ?

Started by Anatta, November 08, 2011, 12:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have friend/s who are gay/lesbian or know any  ?

Yes I  have gay/lesbian friend/s
22 (84.6%)
Yes I know a person who is gay/lesbian but we're not friends
4 (15.4%)
No I don't personally know any
0 (0%)
No I don't know of any and have no interest in knowing any...
0 (0%)
Honesty= I'm somewhat homophobic when it comes to associating with gay/lesbian people
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Anatta

Kia Ora, [seeing that gay/lesbian seems to be a popular topic of conversation]

Do you have friend/s who are gay/lesbian or know any  ?

::) The reason why I ask this is because in this day and age one would think the vast majority of people would at least know of a gay/lesbian person living in their community...

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-sexual-continuum/201106/25-americans-are-gay-or-lesbian-or-so-people-think

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118931/knowing-someone-gay-lesbian-affects-views-gay-issues.aspx

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/dec/11/gayrights.immigrationpolicy

::) The stigma of homosexuality [or even association with] can run deep in some places...And I guess for some trans-people the fear of them being seen as gay/lesbian can stop them from having any contact with the gay/lesbian community...

::) The island where I live has for the most part a 'rainbow' community straights[make up the bulk of the island's population] gays, lesbians, bi and transgender [the latter I only know one other-however we have a VERY large lesbian population]..We all seem to get along quite well...

I'm not saying there's no homo/trans phobia I'm sure there are those who are closeted when it comes to their true feelings about us, but they would be in the minority- few and far between...

Well how about you, do you live in a 'rainbow' community ?

Some members will no doubt be quite comfortable with this topic, others for whatever reason might not be...So if you fit into the latter just vote anonymously [without commenting on the whys]

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

cynthialee

My mom is a lesbian.
My father was bisexual.

I spent a number of my formative years in SoCal surrounded by my moms leather dyke and nelly bottom friends. Both the women I married were lesbians when we met. (I guess they still are all things considered...) My first and only boyfriend was a flaming queen. Many of my friends are so queer that 'hey queer' is a proper and expected greeting.
So I have been always in one way or anouther ascociated with the LGBT culture.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Felix

I'm gay. My kid's sperm donor was bisexual. I have a gay uncle. Half my friends in life have been lesbians, because they and everybody else seemed to think I was one or should be. There was a gay guy in the apartment next to me for a few years.

Plus I hang out at PFLAG and other equality kinda places and events. And a lot of trans people I've met identify as pan, which is kinda gay.

Gayness was absolutely not accepted in the culture I was raised in, and trans wasn't even a visible category. Things are changing, though. My dad has openly gay coworkers, and nobody's been lynched yet. :)
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Felix on November 08, 2011, 01:19:37 PM
I'm gay. My kid's sperm donor was bisexual. I have a gay uncle. Half my friends in life have been lesbians, because they and everybody else seemed to think I was one or should be. There was a gay guy in the apartment next to me for a few years.

Plus I hang out at PFLAG and other equality kinda places and events. And a lot of trans people I've met identify as pan, which is kinda gay.

Gayness was absolutely not accepted in the culture I was raised in, and trans wasn't even a visible category. Things are changing, though. My dad has openly gay coworkers, and nobody's been lynched yet. :)

Kia Ora Felix,

::) That sounds promising  ;)

Metta Zenda :)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

umop ap!sdn

Both my parents are bi like me, and about a third of my friends are lesbian. Since transitioning, I've never been afraid of the rainbow community and in fact I was an out and proud lesbian for quite a while. That's when I met many of my friends.
  •  

Dane

My sister is lesbian, My friend at school is lesbian, I know like 5 gay/ lesbian kids in the GSA, my friend from Gym class is Bi (male) my piano teacher was lesbian and my aunt who's in jail is a lesbian.

And I'm gay, if that counts...(but I don't think I'm friends with myself o.o)

Huh, weird, seems like I know a lot more lesbians than gays in real life. Never noticed that before.
  •  

Maya Zimmerman

Quote from: Logan Bann on November 08, 2011, 10:57:37 PM
called lesbian many times... makes it a bit ironic that I really am gay, just not a lesbian. :D

That's pretty much me reversed.
  •  

Mahsa Tezani

•  

Natkat

hmm almost all my friends are bisexual or anything like that.
General I dont mind peoples sexual orientation so I have alot of friends who are gay, bi, and so on..
  •