Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What happened to the reputations?

Started by Stormy Weather, March 11, 2007, 04:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormy Weather

Went to give someone a friendly bump tonight but they've all gone. Probably a good thing too, given the potential for grief and group-think, but of course I'm just curious... (read: nosy)

How on earth will I know who to trust anymore? ;)

Incidentally, this is the only forum I regularly post in that had them. Was never sure exactly how to use them, except the idea of smiting someone, to me, was not what I'm about.
  •  

Melissa

Yep, I noticed them gone too.  I wondered if it was just me, but since you noticed too, I assume it is global in nature.  My guess is that maintenance or an upgrade is currently being performed.

Melissa
  •  

Stormy Weather

Quote from: Melissa on March 11, 2007, 04:09:27 PM
My guess is that maintenance or an upgrade is currently being performed.

Don't know whether to entirely believe what you say; you have no reputation.  ;D
Let's put everyone's on a perfect 10 and lock them.

Seriously though, I've found them to be an unreliable guide. Except in my case, of course.  ;D >:D ;)
  •  

Melissa

I'm sure Susan will eventually address this either with an explanation, a fix, or both.

Melissa
  •  

Lucy

I myself liked the idea of the reputaions but  wondered truely if they were a good repusentation of the people gaining them. Interested to see what will happen. ;D
  •  

Stormy Weather

Also noticed that the quote sizes have returned to their previous small sizes, and that certain fixed times in profiles have changed; wonder if it's anything to do with the new DST regime in the US and whatever server this is all being run from?

<feeble guess>
  •  

Kimberly

The reputation's purpose was to help signify to the person that their actions were appropriate, or not, with what is desired at this place. Really all the smite thing was for was when someone did something that people did not want to encourage. Ditto the inverse of that with the applaud.

Personally I am not that fond of any reputation system, however I am inclined to think that a per post style feels better to me, although I yet to experienced one in practice.

Regardless, forthcoming information should be along before long. ;) Give the admins a chance (=
  •  

Suzy

I was wondering this, too.  I thought the reputations were very nice, and hope they can be restored.  Didn't like the smite button though.  Maybe we could have one without the others.  But whatever, I am hoping they will come back.

Kristi
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Stormy Weather on March 11, 2007, 06:06:13 PM
Also noticed that the quote sizes have returned to their previous small sizes, and that certain fixed times in profiles have changed; wonder if it's anything to do with the new DST regime in the US and whatever server this is all being run from?

<feeble guess>
Not a bad guess.  Perhaps it is the result of putting some fix into place because of that change.

Melissa
  •  

togetherwecan

I don't have a clue what's going on, but wrt to the rep system to me, I think it is is agreat way to let a poster know you loved a post but really didnt have anything to add to the thread. An acknowledgement so to speak.
  •  

tinkerbell

I was not able to get online for almost two hours, so Susan must be updating the site.  Relax, breathe in, breathe out, everything will get to normal.

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Stormy Weather

Quote from: Tink on March 12, 2007, 02:37:21 AM
...everything will get to normal.

And now Tinkerbell is Tink. Argh, too much change! ;D
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Stormy Weather on March 12, 2007, 02:39:23 AM
Quote from: Tink on March 12, 2007, 02:37:21 AM
...everything will get to normal.

And now Tinkerbell is Tink. Argh, too much change! ;D

Yeah, but I made that change; it has nothing to do with the other stuff. ;D

People here call me Tink, and I kind of like it better than Tinkerbell to tell you the truth. :D

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Steph

Susan and I were chatting on the phone tonight and she is having issues with her server.  and in the process of fixing the problems, hence the problems with Karma.  It seems that therapy hasn't worked and she is now looking to a high tech approach to repair/replace the errant server.  Do not fear or despair they will return when Susan has the issues resolved :)

Steph
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Thanks Steph for the update on this issue.
I don't really care if the reputations "Karma" come back or not.
But I'm sure Susan will get everything fixed.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Buffy

Quote from: Steph on March 12, 2007, 09:22:00 PM
Susan and I were chatting on the phone tonight and she is having issues with her server.  and in the process of fixing the problems, hence the problems with Karma.  It seems that therapy hasn't worked and she is now looking to a high tech approach to repair/replace the errant server.  Do not fear or despair they will return when Susan has the issues resolved :)

Steph

My high tech approach is to unplug the thing, if that dont fixit, hit it a few times...

That should work

BTW am I the only person that thinks the Karma system sucks?
  •  

HelenW

Quote from: Buffy on March 12, 2007, 09:51:59 PM

No you're not, not really.  I think that approval should be public, in other words, as a post in a thread, and disapproval should be private, as in a PM, or even better, unstated.

I think the karma points set up a hierarchy of sorts also, an earned one to be sure, but a hierarchy just the same.

hugs & smiles (my kind of applause)
helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Hey Buffy!
It's not on my favorite list.
Repeating myself.
QuoteI don't really care if the reputations "Karma" come back or not.
That really is my way of saying I don't care for the reputation thing either.
To me it just seem like a popularity contest.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Buffy on March 12, 2007, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: Steph on March 12, 2007, 09:22:00 PM

Steph

My high tech approach is to unplug the thing, if that dont fixit, hit it a few times...

That should work

Yes you are you rabble rouser you :) Just kidding.  There are several opinions on the topic of Karma, and the guidelines for their use is found here:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,6689.0.html

Steph
  •  

Terri Gene

QuoteBTW am I the only person that thinks the Karma system sucks?

By far no Steph,  in fact I basically quit talking back when I had the highest Karma on the System.  Then I had to just hang up for a few months.
  •