Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Should I finish college first?

Started by 4A-GZE, January 10, 2012, 03:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikaPlaidypus

Perhaps you could finish high school in 'stealth mode' since it sounds like you wouldn't be accepted as a girl there, then come out before college.  Then you won't have to switch dorm rooms mid-semester, either~
Do you know the cow?  He is an insolent bastard!
  •  

Cyndigurl45

Quote from: spacecase0 on January 10, 2012, 04:39:44 PM
here is my point of view,
I regret not doing it in college,
college can't fire you for doing it.
I really thought about it then and did not do it,
don't waste that many years waiting, the earlier the better.
Besides anything goes in college, it's a great way to start your career on your terms in your gender. You will be established, I wish I would have, had I had the access to the knowledge available it wouldn't have even been a question :-)
  •  

Jamie D

Lyra, if I can, let me put on my "dad hat" for a minute and talk with you the same way I would talk to my own son.

You're a young person who naturally has questions and is looking for answers about the way you feel and act.  The teen years are about growth and exploration.  You want to expand your horizons and stretch the envelope.

But you are talking about major life decisions here, and you are still just 17 years old.  Your posts here indicate a lot of uncertainty and anxiety.  You have made a good decision by seeking out support and advice among the fine people here.  That's a start.

If you are not already speaking with a gender therapist, do so as soon as you can. If your parents have health insurance, then you can probably qualify for counseling. When you get into college, it will, undoubtedly, have counseling available through the student health service.  There is a reason that the "standards of care" exist.  They are there to help you from making a mistake or doing something you might later regret.

I wish I had the resources available to me, way back when, that you have today.  I wish you the best on your journey, where ever it may take you.

Jamie
  •  

Korra

I kind of regret not doing it earlier to be honest.  Im 2 semesters from graduating and by the time i get the ball rolling will be in the middle of my big job hunt when I'm going through this.  I waited because my family were being real asses and now  I feel like it's going to be even harder.
I may side with the angels, but don't think for one second that I'm one of them.
  •