Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

All of my concerns, whether they're answered elsewhere or not.

Started by 4A-GZE, January 12, 2012, 03:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4A-GZE

There's just so much on my mind and I haven't had luck finding it on my own, so I hope you all can help.

For one, what on earth do I need to do in order to get started with HRT? The wiki didn't help much, so I guess if it varies from place to place, I'm just outside of Atlanta. Does anyone know what it's like here?

Second, I can't imagine it not being awkward at all. I know my family will be supportive, but I still can't imagine them calling me Lyra instead of Bryce. It seems so artificial in my mind now... Is it really not that bad, or is it awkward for everyone?

More on the awkwardness, I don't know how I'd be able to buy new clothes and make-up. As I am now, I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I pick stuff out on my own. I can't picture myself buying anything in-store, and it's certainly not worth it to pay for shipping all the time. What was your experience with that?

What if it's the wrong choice? I doubt myself about everything... I've finally come to terms with the fact that I have ADHD, after six months of questioning it, but I still go back and wonder on that issue all the time, even as I have enough evidence to show that my medicine is working great. I'm just worried that I can't read my own uncertainty anymore; am I just being a drama queen like always, or is there actual reason to doubt it?

(I don't know if this only works because I'm currently underage or if it works for everyone, so if it's the former, just tell me so and ignore the question) Will I be unable to travel internationally using my birth certificate instead of a passport? I mean, won't that always say I'm male, and then whoever sees it will obviously recognize that I'm not.

Is it normal to want to have sex in my current body? I know that a lot of cisgendered girls wish they could have a penis to experience penetration as the other person involved, so it might just be a weird interpretation of that same curiosity. But it really does make me wonder if having a vagina would make sex significantly less exciting for me, and I guess that's not very important since I can stop before SRS if I want to, but I can only wonder if I'll seriously regret losing it.

And, I suppose this is worth mentioning... Will my dogs still recognize me?

And, lastly, how and when will I be able to change my name? And will I need to replace my driver's license and other forms of ID, or anything with my current name on it?
  •  

Joeyboo~ :3

You need to google gender oriented therapists in your area.
http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1326404270.7489_9820&city=Atlanta&state=GA&spec=17&spec=187&lmore=22 (sorta did it for you already)

Second, I can't imagine it not being awkward at all. I know my family will be supportive, but I still can't imagine them calling me Lyra instead of Bryce. It seems so artificial in my mind now... Is it really not that bad, or is it awkward for everyone?

If your family is supportive then you'll just have to wait til they finally call you the right name :]

More on the awkwardness, I don't know how I'd be able to buy new clothes and make-up. As I am now, I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I pick stuff out on my own. I can't picture myself buying anything in-store, and it's certainly not worth it to pay for shipping all the time. What was your experience with that?

Getting a female attire is always the hard part.
Especially for those who didn't "crossdress" before transition.
You'll find what is your style eventually.
Don't dress too young or too old though, you have to target what a 17 year old girl would wear. :P

What if it's the wrong choice? I doubt myself about everything... I've finally come to terms with the fact that I have ADHD, after six months of questioning it, but I still go back and wonder on that issue all the time, even as I have enough evidence to show that my medicine is working great. I'm just worried that I can't read my own uncertainty anymore; am I just being a drama queen like always, or is there actual reason to doubt it?

What makes you think it'd be wrong to transition?

(I don't know if this only works because I'm currently underage or if it works for everyone, so if it's the former, just tell me so and ignore the question) Will I be unable to travel internationally using my birth certificate instead of a passport? I mean, won't that always say I'm male, and then whoever sees it will obviously recognize that I'm not.

I have no idea how the whole passport thing works since I don't even have one. I've never ridden a plane.

Is it normal to want to have sex in my current body? I know that a lot of cisgendered girls wish they could have a penis to experience penetration as the other person involved, so it might just be a weird interpretation of that same curiosity. But it really does make me wonder if having a vagina would make sex significantly less exciting for me, and I guess that's not very important since I can stop before SRS if I want to, but I can only wonder if I'll seriously regret losing it.

yeah, it's normal.
I was the same way.
And you don't need to get SRS to be considered a transsexual, you can keep what you have, there's plenty of other girls who are like that. (like me :3)

Haha awh.
That's an adorable question, but yes. They will :P
All my family's animal still know who I am, even when I over do my makeup.

And, lastly, how and when will I be able to change my name? And will I need to replace my driver's license and other forms of ID, or anything with my current name on it?

I don't know anything about name changing >.<
Sorry.

Hope I helped... somehow..
I didn't really help at all, did i?
  •  

Lily

QuoteSecond, I can't imagine it not being awkward at all. I know my family will be supportive, but I still can't imagine them calling me Lyra instead of Bryce. It seems so artificial in my mind now... Is it really not that bad, or is it awkward for everyone?

It's awkward for me too. I haven't asked anyone to call me Lily yet. It hurts when family uses my birth name, but I would rather that they switch because they really see me as Lily. I don't want people to fake acceptance just for my sake.

QuoteMore on the awkwardness, I don't know how I'd be able to buy new clothes and make-up. As I am now, I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I pick stuff out on my own. I can't picture myself buying anything in-store, and it's certainly not worth it to pay for shipping all the time. What was your experience with that?

I would recommend trying to find a female friend who will take you shopping. She will know what to pick out, and what looks good on you.

QuoteWhat if it's the wrong choice? I doubt myself about everything... I've finally come to terms with the fact that I have ADHD, after six months of questioning it, but I still go back and wonder on that issue all the time, even as I have enough evidence to show that my medicine is working great. I'm just worried that I can't read my own uncertainty anymore; am I just being a drama queen like always, or is there actual reason to doubt it?

Everyone doubts at one time or another. Follow what your heart tells you is all I can say.

QuoteIs it normal to want to have sex in my current body? I know that a lot of cisgendered girls wish they could have a penis to experience penetration as the other person involved, so it might just be a weird interpretation of that same curiosity. But it really does make me wonder if having a vagina would make sex significantly less exciting for me, and I guess that's not very important since I can stop before SRS if I want to, but I can only wonder if I'll seriously regret losing it.

Lots of us end up not getting SRS, for various reasons. If you like your penis, there's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make you any less a girl than any of us.
  •  

4A-GZE

Thanks, you two! :) You've both provided wonderful advice.

Although, about the whole penis thing, I'm really pretty certain that I do want SRS. It's just that, like everything else, I can't convince myself all the way. There's just a lingering feeling that I'll regret it.
  •  

Assoluta

Quote from: Lyra Dash on January 12, 2012, 04:20:33 PM
Thanks, you two! :) You've both provided wonderful advice.

Although, about the whole penis thing, I'm really pretty certain that I do want SRS. It's just that, like everything else, I can't convince myself all the way. There's just a lingering feeling that I'll regret it.

I'm sure over time during your transition, this will become clearer. For me, on the day I was 99.9% sure of having the surgery, but there was a twinge of doubt, because it was an irreversible change to something I THOUGHT I wanted, but had never experienced, so there will always be a small element of faith in yourself. I was very happy afterwards, and I'd say, however you think you'd feel post SRS, is probably how you will feel.
It takes balls to go through SRS!

My singing and music channel - Visit pwetty pwease!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kibouo?feature=mhee
  •  

ktc

A US passport can have the gender marker changed on it with a doctor's note - it is in fact easier to change than a birth certificate in nearly all states (there are actually three states in which a birth certificate can't be changed at all). In most cases you cannot use a birth certificate to travel internationally and must use a passport. The Canadian land crossings may still accept enhanced driver's licenses, but it's far easier to simply get and change a passport.

It's not clear how that will interact with being underage, but in any case the gender marker on a passport can be easily changed in the US as of a couple years ago.
  •  

eli77

Quote from: Lyra Dash on January 12, 2012, 03:17:24 PM
There's just so much on my mind and I haven't had luck finding it on my own, so I hope you all can help.

For one, what on earth do I need to do in order to get started with HRT? The wiki didn't help much, so I guess if it varies from place to place, I'm just outside of Atlanta. Does anyone know what it's like here?
As Joey said you need to find a gender therapist (or an informed consent clinic) to start HRT. One way of doing it is looking for trans groups in your area and asking them who they go to. (That way you avoid the unhelpful people who want to screw with your head/life/etc.)

In fact: http://atlantagender.org/professionals.html

Tada! Resources a plenty. (I know, I'm magic.)

QuoteSecond, I can't imagine it not being awkward at all. I know my family will be supportive, but I still can't imagine them calling me Lyra instead of Bryce. It seems so artificial in my mind now... Is it really not that bad, or is it awkward for everyone?
I didn't ask people to switch over until I'd gone full time. I let them call me by whichever name and whatever pronouns they wanted till then. I felt like it just made it easier for all of us. That way they had nearly seven months to get used to the idea before they had to switch over.

QuoteMore on the awkwardness, I don't know how I'd be able to buy new clothes and make-up. As I am now, I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I pick stuff out on my own. I can't picture myself buying anything in-store, and it's certainly not worth it to pay for shipping all the time. What was your experience with that?
It's just awkward until you get used to it. Sorry. I didn't purchase any girls clothes till the day after I went full time. I just tended to wear really androgynous guy's clothes.

QuoteWhat if it's the wrong choice? I doubt myself about everything... I've finally come to terms with the fact that I have ADHD, after six months of questioning it, but I still go back and wonder on that issue all the time, even as I have enough evidence to show that my medicine is working great. I'm just worried that I can't read my own uncertainty anymore; am I just being a drama queen like always, or is there actual reason to doubt it?
I'm sorry, but really only you can answer this question. I had doubts. I don't anymore. That's just how it is.

Quote(I don't know if this only works because I'm currently underage or if it works for everyone, so if it's the former, just tell me so and ignore the question) Will I be unable to travel internationally using my birth certificate instead of a passport? I mean, won't that always say I'm male, and then whoever sees it will obviously recognize that I'm not.
ktc answered this one perfectly.

QuoteIs it normal to want to have sex in my current body? I know that a lot of cisgendered girls wish they could have a penis to experience penetration as the other person involved, so it might just be a weird interpretation of that same curiosity. But it really does make me wonder if having a vagina would make sex significantly less exciting for me, and I guess that's not very important since I can stop before SRS if I want to, but I can only wonder if I'll seriously regret losing it.
I had sex pre-transition. It was... complicated and not really something I want to do anymore until I'm post-SRS. But that's me. Basically this is a point where we are all different. Don't let anyone tell you that you are doing it wrong, or are less of a girl, or whatever. Your crotch and your sexuality are your business and yours alone. And as Assoluta said, it tends to get clearer what you want to do the further you get in transition.

Cute! Cats still recognize me, so I assume dogs will still recognize you. ;)

QuoteAnd, lastly, how and when will I be able to change my name? And will I need to replace my driver's license and other forms of ID, or anything with my current name on it?
The name change process is a bit different everywhere. Once you have a gender therapist they should be able to help with resources and guide you through the process. Or there is always google:

Tada! http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/name/georgia.html

Yes, you'll eventually want to replace all your IDs.
  •  

4A-GZE

Thanks so much for all the input! :D

However, after coming out to my parents on Thursday, I've been questioning it even more.... They are under the impression that I need to absolutely despise my male body in order to be transgendered. Honestly, I don't hate it at all. I'm just completely apathetic about it, and I think I would like a female one more. In my mind it's well worth the price, but they're still under the impression that it's a foolish mistake. And it's not that they're against it, either. They're incredibly accepting of everything, so I can only guess that their concerns are rational. I'm just not sure what to do anymore, since I know I could survive just fine as a man, and I'm only guessing that I would prefer to be a woman. I really feel like I would be better off that way, but I can't help but think it might be a mistake...
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: Lyra Dash on January 15, 2012, 03:54:03 PM
Thanks so much for all the input! :D

However, after coming out to my parents on Thursday, I've been questioning it even more.... They are under the impression that I need to absolutely despise my male body in order to be transgendered. Honestly, I don't hate it at all. I'm just completely apathetic about it, and I think I would like a female one more. In my mind it's well worth the price, but they're still under the impression that it's a foolish mistake. And it's not that they're against it, either. They're incredibly accepting of everything, so I can only guess that their concerns are rational. I'm just not sure what to do anymore, since I know I could survive just fine as a man, and I'm only guessing that I would prefer to be a woman. I really feel like I would be better off that way, but I can't help but think it might be a mistake...

I didn't despise my body, like you I was just completely apathetic.. I had some doubts.. But my therapist helped me work through most of it, or at least gave me the tools to do it myself. I'd never made a good choice in my life until I made the decision that it was time for me transition. That has been a good choice..

It's normal to doubt.. But go see a therapist.. Only you have the answers, but your therapist will help you find them..
  •  

4A-GZE

Wow... That's exactly the same as how I feel.

I will definitely be seeing a psychiatrist soon. Hypothetically, I could be full-time before I'm 18 if all goes as expected.
  •