Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

This made me laugh...literally

Started by GQjoey, March 23, 2007, 02:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GQjoey

So I stopped at Subway tonight on the way to a friends house to eat. Mind you, this Subway is rather "ghetto". It's attatched to a gas station, and there's been murders around the way on more than one occasion this year. I'm sure you're thinkign "Why the hell would you go there then", it's convienent, and I've never had a problem going there before, plus I was just planning on eating quick and leaving.

So I order my food, and as I'm standing there paying, these 2 extremley ghetto girls walk in. Hairs a mess, sweats and sneakers on, the one girl had half her weave in and a 12 inch comb sticking out of her head. IM NOT DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ANYONE! Just trying to give you a clear picture. So they're standing waiting for me to pay so they can order, and I can hear them jibber jabbing about whatever. I pay for my food, and sit down right behind them.

As I start to eat, I'm not really paying attention to them, even though they're talking loud enough for people for blocks to hear. Then I hear 1 girl say "I dunno, ask him". So this girl turns around and says "hey" I look up and she goes "Are you a boy". I almost spit my drink out. I literally laughed and said " Uh huh". She turns back around to her friend and says "see I told you!".

So I continue to eat, as they order 573845345 sammiches. Then she says "Hey, do you have your tongue pierced" and I say yeah, and she goes "What for" I said "Umm why does it matter" she says 'Well I got mine done, and you know...." and her friend goes "Yeah, what you got it pierced for" almost like they're either trying to see if I'm a girl, or see if I'm gay I guess?
I say "Well, the ladies like it" the girl laughs and her friend goes "Yeaaaah, that's what's up!" AGAIN, I go back to eating....

Two seconds later, "Hey sorry to keep intterupting your dinner, but do you know what time it is"...I tell her, then they both stand waiting for their food 2 feet in front of me talking back and forth "Yeah, he's alright for a whiteboy"...

Ok, so they just RUDELY intterupted me minding my own business to ask me if I was a boy, now they're talking about how cute I am " for a whiteboy ". WTF

I'm just about done eating and 1 of them says "So where's your girl at" I tell her I don't have a girl she goes on to say "Why dont you have a girl..blah blah blah". I finished my food, smiled at them both and walked out.

Being someone blatenly coming out and asking me that before has NEVER happened, I was surprised it didn't piss me off. And really didn't bother me, I went to my friends and had a good night, and just now thought about it. I wouldn't say it was as much discrimination, as it was just plain rude.
  •  

katia

iow you were read! i like your attitude though, confident and sure of himself.
  •  

Rachel

•  

angelsgirl

Okay so they had to ask...but you convinced them and that must make you feel good! Way to hold your ground!
  •  

Thundra

Ahhhh, you make me homesick. I do miss the old hood at times.
Be grateful that you live in a diverse area. PDX is so not -- it's depressing.
One thing I always loved about people in the hood, regardless of race, or ethnic background?
They told you EXACTLY how they felt. You did not have to guess.
In a strange way, I felt safer there, than here.
  •  

ChefAnnagirl

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO  :D;D :D till i have cried - literally. Especially the 573845345 sammiches.
I just coukdn't hep it.
And by the way, that is one of the coolest self pics ive ever seen on this site.
Thanks.
laughingly always.

Annagirl
Level the playing field
  •  

GQjoey

Thundra - I grew up here, but moved to SanFran 2 years ago, I'm "stuck" here for another month or so and I"m back out to the bay. I'm definitely grateful for the diversity here. I grew up in a smaller promdomently (i suck at spelling big words) "white community" the first 16 years of my life and HATED it. I prefer living amongst diversity, rather than "safe" places. And yeah, my girl grew up in Los Angeles in the straight projects, so I'm used to that blunt/straight forward/rather obnoxious approach. I was just caught a little off guard, which is cool, at least I got a laugh out of it.

haha Anna, glad you got a laugh out of it!

Sammiches it issss. Sometimes I type like I talk, I don't even know how to spell sammiches correctly. Sandwhiches? Sammiches sounds better.

Honestly, this might sound weird, but from a straight on look to my face, I don't think it's AS feminin looking. But from the side, I think it is. I notice weird things like that. I have a round dome, "bighead" if you will lol 15 inches at birth :) And when they walked in, they were standing right beside me, so I"m thinking it was the side view of my face...who knows though, some people just have good intuition when it comes to things like that.

While we're on the topic of being "outed". I gotta question...

While living down in LA last summer, I worked at a "five star" grocery store. Some snobby place, with overpriced crap. When I filled out all my paperwork for my background check, it asked if you'd ever been known by any other name in the past 10 years. I filled it in with my birth name. The lady that hired me went over it, obviously noticed that  birth name was female, but was really cool about it. She didn't ask any questions at all other than "Your social security card has Joseph XXXXXX on it, right?" I said yep, and she hired me on the spot. So I never thought anything of it.

She didn't work at that particular store, but her husband was the manager. I met him my first day, and I assumed she probably told him? I dunno, he was a pretty cool guy too. My ex also got hired on the same day. Well, I was promoted within 2 weeks, got a raise, and worked back in the meat department. With 3 other guys, all super cool, we bs'd all day long, and I got along with everyone fine.

Me and my ex worked there for about 3-4 months. Our intentions were to save up money to move away, but she changed her mind, wanted to stay there (in LA). I didn't, we got into a blow out over it, and I told her I was moving back to the Bay. I went into work the next day put a weeks notice in, and moved back to the bay shortly after. My ex also quit there 2 weeks after me.

About a month after she quit, she went there to get some things, and was confronted by one of the guys I used to work with in my department and the night manager. They came up to her and said "So where's your girlfriend?", she asked them what they were talking about, and I guess the night manager walked away. The guy I used to work with was like "I don't know what you guys are so afraid of, if he's a chick, just say you're lesbians". She got pissed, told him I'm not a "chick", and how he even came up with that. He said one of the managers, wouldn't say which one, got into my files and saw my old birth name.

She called me right after it happened and told me about it. Isn't is against the law to talk about private information like that? And still to this day, she says everytime she goes in there someone has something smart to say to her about it.

She's the type of person not to give a s*** what other people say, so she could care less about hearing it, that and it's really close to her house. Just wondering if anyone new the laws for that in California?

•  

Julie Marie

Joey, you handled that great!  Wish I could have been there.

And you're not the first person who I've heard that as the reason tongue is the pierced for  ;) 

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Brianna

I have to say this. Some of your jokes and descriptions of African Americans in this thread make me cringe Joey. I'm going to err of the side of hoping there is nothing behind it, but it does make me uncomfortable, especially the "sammiches" joke.

I don't see how this would be any different that someone telling a joke about a transsexual that couldn't pass - in a way to make them look silly.

Even to "paint a better picture of the scene."

Bri
  •  

GQjoey

OH wow.

Brianna - Sorry but you must of read into things a little too much. There was no "joke" of "sammiches" for starters. I said "Sometimes I type how I talk" I say SAMMICHES, not "sandwhiches" (sp). That was not a joke, but me typing exactly how I talk....

Some of my descriptions of African Americans? What descriptions might those be?

I wasn't telling any jokes to begin with. I was simply painting a picture of the events. And frankly, I feel a little discouraged by you jumping on me like that.
  •  

Yvonne

I really don't know what you people are talking here.  I am not from the U.S and don't know what "sammiches" mean.  but you should listen to Brianna and the others; they are very 'respectful' on these forums.
  •  

ChefAnnagirl

Hey Joey - Hey all -
I think i would be nice if people would just lighten up on the guy -

Joey - you MADE SURE to tell everyone right away that you were NOT discriminating against anyone - and you did it in several ways - by use of both language and good punctuation to indicate your point.

Not only that, but this seemed to me to be one of those personally significant moments in your transition in some ways, no matter how awkward, funny, or offensive it may seem to others.

I think it's ESPECIALLY important that we can laugh at ourselves - all the more so because we often encounter so many difficult and frequently uncomfortable and embarrassing situations once we begin fully living out in the public eye. Joey - you even said sorry - and obvously noted that you were surprised that others were so offended by what you had to say. 

I'm sorry, but i think you took lemons and made a really great glass of lemonade with them and in the process were able to find something of real lightness and humor in it as well. Kudos for that, and for what seems the obviously mature way in which you handled that initial situation you described.

You werent mean, rude, callous, or abusive towards these people, and in fact, it seems, ended up being seriously validated in some ways as the spirited young man that you are obviously becoming.

I frankly couldn't help myself but to laugh hysterically - for about five minutes - until i literally cried  - that was one of the best laughs i've had in a long time, in fact.

Im' sorry if that offends anyone, but it was an totally uncontrolled and honest reaction, and even after taking plenty of time to think about it, i still can't help but chuckle about the simple, humorous, and matter-of-fact way in which you wrote this account.

This kid needs support, understanding, and a safe place to share his experiences. He OBVIOUSLY didn't mean to go about offending everyone. Share the joy that he was actually able to laugh and find positive strength and perspective in one of those moments that we all have had, where it could have been the exact opposite, and a potentially highly negative public experience.

I'll take a risk here and say back way the hell off of him, and try giving some support and intelligent dialogue instead of trying to beat him down about it. Re-read his post - this seems like a person to me, that really wasn't meaning to harm others. 

I don't know you personally Joey, but that's what i pick up from you in my guts anyway.
Sorry to seem harsh - that just really pissed me off for some reason.

Sincerely,

Annagirl
Level the playing field
  •  

angelsgirl

QuoteI really don't know what you people are talking here.  I am not from the U.S and don't know what "sammiches" mean.

Oh, that's nothing to worry about! "Sammiches" is just a way of saying "sandwiches". As small children, we have a hard time saying sandwich and it comes out "sammich" and some of us just keep saying it that way either to be cute or funny or just simply out of habit. I still say "sanwidge" like I did when I was I little kid (then again, I also say "cawfee") Sometimes it's a colloquialism, I didn't hear as much when I lived in Connecticut, but I hear it a lot more now that I live in New York. I've never heard of it being used in a prejudical manner, though, that's news to me.

I think if Joey had said a couple of fat Americans ordered 58137 sammiches, that might have been a stereotype.

I would've still thought it funny, anyway. But you know how I am... >:D
  •  

Dennis

I agree with ChefAnna and Angelsgirl. I didn't take that as anything but what you said it was - painting the picture.

Funny story Joey and you sure held your cool through it.

Dennis
  •  

Attis

Hey, Joey is just good at telling events without being boring. Pronouns are your friends. :3 Joey have you thought about being a field journalist? It doesn't pay much, but if you like to write like that, I would suggest it.

-- Bridget
  •  

GQjoey

Yvonne - Like you said, you don't really know what's being talked about. "Sammiches" is what it is. Like peanut butter and jelly. How you get a crude "racial" joke out of that, beats me. That's cool that Brianna and whoever is is very "respectful" on this board, I can dig that. But I'm not gonna have people assuming things, and somehow twisting that way I "talk" into me being offensive.

And thanks guys for NOT taking it "that way". I like to paint pictures with words when telling a story. I think it helps people "feel" what was happening. I'm not and was not, mad or angry with these girls. Did I think it was rude? Sure. But then again, I can be rude also. I'd rather them come out and say what they're thinking, rather then sit and snicker and whisper like some damn children, so I credit them for that. I didn't lose sleep over it.

Bridget, I'm not too sure what a "field journalist" is. I guess I didn't really notice I had a way of writing, but It would be interesting to find out more about what a FJ is.

Thanks again folks
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: GQjoey on March 27, 2007, 08:50:28 AM
Yvonne - Like you said, you don't really know what's being talked about. "Sammiches" is what it is. Like peanut butter and jelly. How you get a crude "racial" joke out of that, beats me. That's cool that Brianna and whoever is is very "respectful" on this board, I can dig that. But I'm not gonna have people assuming things, and somehow twisting that way I "talk" into me being offensive.
I think what happened is Brianna did read too much into it and for some reason assumed that because you had described black people, you were somehow "slurring" speech on purpose in order to make fun of them.  At least that's the only way I can see how Brianna may have taken it that could be offensive.  As you said, that is how *you* say it, so it's no big deal really.  I personally didn't find it offensive.

Melissa
  •  

Brianna

Brianna can speak for herself, Melissa. She's just choosing not to comment, thanks.
  •  

Yvonne

Quote from: GQjoey on March 27, 2007, 08:50:28 AM
Yvonne - Like you said, you don't really know what's being talked about. "Sammiches" is what it is. Like peanut butter and jelly. How you get a crude "racial" joke out of that, beats me. Thanks again folks

Hail GQjoey, thanks for explaining about the meaning of the "sammiches".  Now I understand, thanks.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Brianna on March 27, 2007, 03:24:52 PM
Brianna can speak for herself, Melissa. She's just choosing not to comment, thanks.
Well, it was speculation and I may have been totally off, so I wasn't speaking for you, but rather trying to look at it from another viewpoint.

Melissa
  •