Main Menu

tried and failed...again

Started by -JR-, February 27, 2012, 12:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JR-

(removed)
  •  

Cindy

There is no easy way. Just tell it as it is. If you a path to follow, follow it. It is a big leap but it can also be a very liberating leap. And since your Mum is a 'blabbermouth' :laugh: :laugh:. You only have to tell one person and they all know. Problem solved :laugh:

Sorry I'm not belittling your problem but pluck up the courage and then it is all over. And you can move on to the next step. Each step does get easier IMO.

Hugs and Good Luck

Cindy
  •  

veritatemfurto

:sighs:

This is one reason why coming out in a letter is a good alternative to just jumping right in to break that ice pack. That way, you can go over it and over again and keep revising until you have everything in it that is sure to be questioned. Once you send it or hand it to her, you're already past the hardest part of actually telling her.
Coming out via a letter won't solve all the problems, but it will be a good start.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •  

veritatemfurto

luck wished your way, JR!

Just be careful that you clarify that this is a well documented medical condition that is treatable and does NOT mean you're mentally ill (other than it depressing the heck out of you) and thus why you have to address it.  mothers can overreact like that... mine did.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

Of all the things there are to do on this planet, there's only one thing that I must do- Live!
  •  

justmeinoz

I wrote my Mum a letter, and explained it was an issue of foetal brain development that she really had nothing to do with, sometimes it just happens.  I tried to stress that, so she wouldn't feel that it was her fault in any way.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

rachl

I live in a different part of the country, so a letter was better than a phone call, which seemed better than waiting for their annual visit in the summer (you can see my thread: I decided to go with a letter). I'm a writer, too, so it felt a lot more comfortable having the opportunity to organize my thoughts the way that I wanted things presented. It also let me include some information towards the end about the process. It ended up being 5 pages single-spaced. And yet, it leaves so much unsaid.

Mine went over well -- at least, as well as one can expect. We talked on the phone 2 days after; and, although she was crying basically the whole time, she's behind me 100%. Breaking it to my dad will be another story entirely.

I wish you luck. At the end of my letter I wrote:
I know that this was a lot to take in. I really look forward to your phone call. There's so much more to say. I really love you both, and hope that things only keep getting better.

She emailed me back within minutes (she was expecting the email) and told me not to worry. It's been extremely tough -- this is the most emotional of all of my 'coming out' events so far, but it's the one that I was most worried about. I'm glad it's "over," even though there are more tough discussions to be had.
  •  

veritatemfurto

:hugs: congrats JR, you are on your way now! :)

let us know how things go when you see her for the first time of her truly knowing the real you!

Mel
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

•  

rachl

Moms can really surprise us...I'm so glad it's gone well! Congrats for taking the plunge. Time to change the thread title!
  •  

Jamie

Way to go man! I wish I had the courage to come out to my parents, it's just so difficult and nerve racking. But good luck to you!
  •  

Joelene9

Congratulations, JR!  It took me about 3 tries to come out to mom in the 1970's.  It was excruciating, you might as well be gay back then.  That went a lot better than I thought, it took a little while for my mom to sink it in.  Keep trying, Jamie. 
  Joelene
  •  

rachl

Quote from: Joelene9 on February 29, 2012, 11:07:50 PM
  Congratulations, JR!  It took me about 3 tries to come out to mom in the 1970's.  It was excruciating, you might as well be gay back then. 

Still kinda true today  :-\
  •  

veritatemfurto

Quote from: rachl on March 01, 2012, 07:23:40 AM
Quote from: Joelene9 on February 29, 2012, 11:07:50 PM
... It was excruciating, you might as well be gay back then.
Still kinda true today  :-\

yup, know a couple friends in that situation, one of which his father was just fine with his son being gay but now that he wants to become a girl its tearing that family apart towards a nasty divorce.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

•  

veritatemfurto

yes the pronoun usage will change in time, its takes a while for the human psyche to rewrite what's been solid for so many years... I found that the more our friends and loved ones see us change, the easier it is to re-associate us into the proper pronouns in their minds.
~;{@ Mel @};~

My GRS on 04-14-2015

•