Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

1on1 vs. Group

Started by Ashley_C, April 06, 2012, 11:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley_C

I may have mentioned this before but not as a question.

My GT recommended that I join a support group to supplement our one on one sessions. The group is small, by invitation only and features only MTF in all stages. My GT feels this is a good way to meet other MTFs as I really don't know any outside of the internet and I agreed with her that I should know some others personally who have been where I am.

I played phone tag with the woman who runs it as she was getting ready for vacation but she wants to meet with me before I officially join the group. She is also looking for a 3 month commitment at $60/mo.

My question is if any of you have done both the one on one and group and if it is worth doing both? I see them both as being beneficial.
We must move forward... not backwards, not to the side, not forwards, but always whirling, whirling, whirling towards freedom.

My mindless babbling are my own opinions and nothing more.
  •  

~Nikki59~

I've done both. I did the group thing regularly for a few months, still do here and there and found it beneficial also. It gives you a chance to talk with others that have gone through what your dealing with and hear about their experiences. It was really nice to get input from the others, and be able to ask questions. Plus, you might get a new friend out of it that can provide you with valuable help with makeup, fashion, etc.
  •  

Ashley_C

Quote from: ~Nikki59~ on April 06, 2012, 09:46:04 PM
I've done both. I did the group thing regularly for a few months, still do here and there and found it beneficial also. It gives you a chance to talk with others that have gone through what your dealing with and hear about their experiences. It was really nice to get input from the others, and be able to ask questions. Plus, you might get a new friend out of it that can provide you with valuable help with makeup, fashion, etc.

That's pretty much what I was hoping for but wanted to make sure to keep my expectations in reality.
We must move forward... not backwards, not to the side, not forwards, but always whirling, whirling, whirling towards freedom.

My mindless babbling are my own opinions and nothing more.
  •  

Felix

I stay away from professionally facilitated paid group therapy but I like support groups and I like individual therapy. The group setting is definitely a valuable adjunct to one on one gender counseling.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Cindy

I really don't fancy the idea of paid group therapy, once money is involved it can never be about friendship. Many people get to meet other TG people in TG societies or clubs. Much more relaxed and the idea is to go out for drinks or a meal or a movie in the 'real' world and overcome your fears of going public and to meet others who can lend a helping hand, sort of Susan's on heels :laugh:
  •