Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

reason for name change?

Started by -JR-, April 08, 2012, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JR-

(removed)
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I stated that I was a Transsexual.  And when I went to court I wore a nice dress.  The judge called my old name and when I went up before him, he looked at me and said "I have no objections to this application".  He signed it and bingo, I became forever called Janet.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

poptart

Personal preference. Names aren't inherently gendered, so the "female name" to "male name" part is irrelevant. All that matters is that your desired name is in common use.
  •  

supremecatoverlord

No, you don't have to state that. That didn't even come up once during my name change and honestly I'm glad it didn't.
Meow.

•  

Natkat

I dont know if its posible where you live, but when I got my name change it happent over the internet,
so I didnt had to give any reason why I would change it it just happent..

however when people asked why I changed my name (to a pretty maculine one) I explained I was trans.
it also helped alittle along with why I would like to be called he"
  •  

thefire

I was worried about that too, being from the bible belt. I put "personal preference" on my application but cracked under pressure like I always do, and in court told the judge that I was transgender and don't wish to be called by a female name. And he approved it. And now I've got my new driver's license social security card and voter's registration in my chosen name.
  •  

Robert Scott

common usage is a typical answer --- they really don't care -- they just want a reason on record so if you are changing it for fraudulent reasons they can also charge you with perjury too

I just go mine changed on Wed ....they judge asked me why ....I said b/c I am transitioning to the male gender -- she asked have I completed the process -- I said I have only had hormones -- if I had said I had surgery I am confident she would have ordered a gender change on my birth certificate too --- she was not phased in the least that I was transgender.  I was also the only person on the docket that day for name changes -- so it was just me and my two witnesses --- I think my step daughter was more nervous than I was
  •  

lexical

The judge asked me why I was changing mine so I explained that I was trans as concisely as possible. There's no guarantee that they will or won't ask so I'd have a response ready incase it comes up. They really don't care that you're trans, usually they just want to make sure you're not trying to elude debt and/or other things linked to your birth name.

Congrats on this step forward, it's a big relief once it's done :)
  •  

geek

I didn't have to see a judge, but on my form I wrote transitioning gender

•  

justmeinoz

No Courts required here, just pay your $89 and fill out the form.  Under reason, I put "consistent with Gender transition."  Staff gave the impression they saw that all the time and it was a non-issue.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

MaxAloysius

Wow, you guys (and gals) all had to give a reason? That wasn't anywhere on my paperwork...
  •  

wheat thins are delicious

Even if they personally ask you, you can say common usage.

•  

Robert Scott

Quote from: Bane on April 09, 2012, 07:56:44 AM
Wow, you guys (and gals) all had to give a reason? That wasn't anywhere on my paperwork...

It wasn't on my paperwork ... judge asked me in court
  •  

Felix

I wasn't asked to give a reason, and when the clerk called me up (I didn't have to see a judge in person) she called me by the name I was changing to, which was neat. I don't know if that's normal or if she did that because I was changing from an obviously female to an obviously male name. I did get a funny look and an extra "Are you sure?" before my form was stamped, but that's okay. Afterward an Italian lady came up and shook my hand and congratulated me.

I should add that almost everybody at court that day was an immigrant taking a more American-sounding name. There was a lot of happiness and excitement in the room. :)
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

anibioman

personal preference /common usage thats what im doing.

MrTesto

Since court ordered name changes are public records, listing "common usage" gives you a bit more privacy. If you have listed something related to being transgender, sometimes you can petition to seal the records.
  •  

Berserk

When I changed my name I just wrote that I was trans and that I was changing my name to one that I better identified with and better reflected my real sex. Personally, I think it's a good idea to give them a reason, though I doubt anyone would refuse you a name change because of the reason/failure to give a clear one. As long as the rest of the info matches up, that's all they care about. At least in Canada, but then again we don't have to go to court to do it either, just fill in the application and mail it in. As long as all the info is correct they grant you the change.
  •  

GentlemanRDP

I've actually never thought about this,
But considering that my birthname is strange and deemed 'laughable' by some people,
I suppose that I could say it's because I want something more 'normal,'
I don't know how I'd word that though xD
  •  

AndrewL

I phrased mine like this:

Petitioner has been diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder and is pursuing a course of treatment that will alter the petitioner's birth sex to align with the Petitioner's gender identity. (S)He has commonly been referred to as (Preferred Name) in both social and professional circles. (S)He is pursuing this name change in order to reduce the confusion that occurs when the name (s)he uses does not match his/her legal documentation.

Looking back, that phrasing in public record means I will be out permanently. I don't have a problem with this and have even been featured in the schools paper as trans, but it does mean that stealth will not be an option in the future. It all depends on what you feel most comfortable with.
  •