Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

dress shirts?

Started by -JR-, April 15, 2012, 08:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JR-

(removed)
  •  

Kreuzfidel

I would suggest going to a proper menswear store and have the storeperson size you.  I wear slim-fit shirts because regular ones fit me strangely.  But yeah - try getting sized by a professional.
  •  

Stealthy

From what I know about formal clothes (I am horrendous at formality and spend my days in Nirvana shirts and skinny jeans), they should be really well fitting-if you have the money for tailoring, get a medium and get that tailored. If you don't, get the small and figure some solution with the sleeves. You look pretty skinny in your avatar, so a medium would probably be really baggy on you (I wear medium shirts because I'm not allowed to bind and the bagginess means you don't really notice my boobs, once I get a binder I'll have to start bringing out all my small shirts).
Pronouns: shi/hir

•  

Nygeel

Modern tailor shirts start are $20, with $10 for shipping.  Can't beat it.
  •  

tekla

Once you move into real dress shrits they are not sold S M L, they are sold by size, neck, sleeve.  Check out the men's department at a Macy's - or even the suit section of a JC Pennys - and you'll find the right size.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Adio

They do make fitted and slim cut dress shirts.  Depending on how much you have to spend, go to a department store and try on several different brands and sizes.  Find the closest one that fits and get it altered/tailored.  If you don't have much, still go to the department store and find a size that fits you.  Then go to thrift stores/charity shops and find a nice one in that size.  Alter/tailor as needed.
  •  

lexical

Quote from: tekla on April 15, 2012, 10:11:21 PM
Once you move into real dress shrits they are not sold S M L, they are sold by size, neck, sleeve.  Check out the men's department at a Macy's - or even the suit section of a JC Pennys - and you'll find the right size.

Exactly. Men's dress shirts usually have two measurements -- neck (14 1/2 - 18 1/2 inches) and sleeve (usually 32 up to 36). I'd guess your neck is somewhere between a 15 and 16 and you'll want somewhere around a 34/35 for the sleeve. Like Tekla said, go to a store like JC Pennys (cheaper than Macy's) and try on some different shirts. I went to JCP recently and found some nice shirts and ties that were $10-15 each.

I know the sizing is weird but trust me, it's easy once you try some shirts on and figure out where you fall. The good thing is in a department store you'll have enough options that you shouldn't need to get it tailored.
  •  

Robert Scott

I just went to court....I got fitted for a shirt.  They measured around my neck and the length of my arm......then I had the correct neck size and length on the sleeves.

I know at JC Penny's they had slim fit, heavy fit, tailored fit, etc....once I had my size it was a piece of cake to find a shirt that fit.
  •  

Felix

When I went to court for my name change it honestly didn't occur to me to dress up. My kid had a pig hat on though, so I was probably distracted.

If you aren't willing to dig much at thrift stores or have anyone measure you, there are useful sizing guidelines on a lot of internet sites.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Kyyn

What are you changing your name to ??  :D

*i know nothing about fancy shirts, sorry
  •  

Stealthy

Yeah, if you're skinny I really wouldn't recommend the medium. I'm not exactly skinny (5'2", 130 pounds, little muscle due to possibly medical reasons so my figure looks pretty bad), and I wear a small in men's shirts, except for that one shirt I got from my little brother that's around a kid's 14/16 and the medium shirts that I wear to cover my chest that are really baggy on me.
Pronouns: shi/hir

•  

tekla

Yeah, dress shirts tend to be made in proportion to the neck/arms measurement.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Julian

I'll swoop in and echo what a bunch of other people are saying.

Department stores. My dad wears a weird size in dress shirts. He has an huge neck and short arms, which I know is the opposite of your problem, but I think it has a similar solution. Look for slim-fit shirts with the arm length and neck size you need. I'm pretty sure he wears Calvin Klein slim-fit shirts, and I know that whatever brands he wears, he finds them at Carson's and Macy's.

Also make sure that the sleeve length you're going for isn't too long. It should fit like this.

A standard-length sleeve in most small size shirts does this for me, and I'm 5'10".
  •  

Annah

You should check out Jc Penney's. I used to work in the Men's Suit dept. They have sleeve lengths of many, many sizes and the prices are about 15 dollars cheaper than the men's dress stores. Plus the shirts are pretty damn nice! Fitted, non fitted, cotton, dual fabrics, french cuffs, etc etc
  •  

lexical

Quote from: Julian on April 16, 2012, 11:59:17 AM
I'll swoop in and echo what a bunch of other people are saying.

Department stores. My dad wears a weird size in dress shirts. He has an huge neck and short arms, which I know is the opposite of your problem, but I think it has a similar solution. Look for slim-fit shirts with the arm length and neck size you need. I'm pretty sure he wears Calvin Klein slim-fit shirts, and I know that whatever brands he wears, he finds them at Carson's and Macy's.

Also make sure that the sleeve length you're going for isn't too long. It should fit like this.

A standard-length sleeve in most small size shirts does this for me, and I'm 5'10".

You don't want a shirt that tight on you. You'll be sitting awhile and probably nervous and a dress shirt that fitted around your chest/waist isn't going to be very comfortable. Also, Calvin Klein will probably run you $30-50 a shirt... if you're on a tight budget I'd stay out of Macy's lol.
  •  

Julian

Yeah, it does look uncomfortable. I was just using it as a reference for the sleeves. :P
  •  

wheat thins are delicious

I hate shopping for dress shirts, mainly because my neck is 20" and all the shirts I find that have necks that large are like super huge on me.

•  

Jamie D

Boys, I have this small piece of advice for you-

Oxford collars, button down
  •  

Felix

Quote from: Jamie D on April 17, 2012, 12:48:59 AM
Boys, I have this small piece of advice for you-

Oxford collars, button down
I know Oxford comma but not Oxford shirt.
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1907038
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Jamie D

•