Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Sleeping with dogs and partner in your bed? (note doggy plural)

Started by AbraCadabra, April 21, 2012, 11:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbraCadabra

This is quite some added learning for me to read about all these "co-dependant" doggy-in-bed situations.

Now how do you keep these guys and girls clean, digging for bones in the garden, her having her period once in a while, their love to roll in dirt (as we call it) for them just having a lovely back-scratch in the soil, walking through the wet and leaving their (soiled?) paws on everything, the list goes on.

Personally I have no desire to have such to share my bed. I have done it in others' bed as it seemed 'usus' for them. Of course the smaller the doggy the less the mess they are able to create, up to the point of leaving their poo and wee some place, as happened to me, in front of the bed... and God knows where else to be found at other more in-opportune times.

I could go on, but you sure get my take on this dependency thing. There are other issues of course as "eating" living room furniture when left unobserved - and some added marking of territory for the 'boys'.
This BTW is ALL first hand experience, and yes, if you accept co-dependence then "love conquers all"... :)

Axélle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Jeneva

If it is raining or too cold outside Jenks won't go outside and he just uses the puppy pad down the upstairs hallway.

Papillons don't have an undercoat so while he does have long hairs that shed, there is no thick balls of matted thatched fur to be left around.  Jenks is also large for the breed so the breeder had him fixed before we picked him up.  He weighs a grand total of 11 pounds (less than our Siamese cat).

So far he has been exceptionally fastidious and the breed itself is among the smartest breeds so he has adapted well.  Him sleeping ON the bed is less disruption than her Llhaso Apso that had to be put down last year.  He would constantly dig and scratch all night long and toward the end he whimpered because his spine spur was hitting something.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: Jeneva on April 24, 2012, 07:02:43 AM
If it is raining or too cold outside Jenks won't go outside and he just uses the puppy pad down the upstairs hallway.

Papillons don't have an undercoat so while he does have long hairs that shed, there is no thick balls of matted thatched fur to be left around.  Jenks is also large for the breed so the breeder had him fixed before we picked him up.  He weighs a grand total of 11 pounds (less than our Siamese cat).

So far he has been exceptionally fastidious and the breed itself is among the smartest breeds so he has adapted well.  Him sleeping ON the bed is less disruption than her Llhaso Apso that had to be put down last year.  He would constantly dig and scratch all night long and toward the end he whimpered because his spine spur was hitting something.

Oh wow, I see you ARE into exceptionally sweet and pretty toy-dogs. I just googled them to have a look. Both weren't known breeds to me. Now WONDER you overflow with love for them! :)

Seems one cut above to having German Shepards, Labradors, Dalmatians, English Bull-dogs or Rottweiler etc. in one's bed, AND another 'homo sapiens" to boot ? :)

Axélle
  •  

Shang

Quote from: Axélle-Michélle on April 24, 2012, 01:27:06 AM
This is quite some added learning for me to read about all these "co-dependant" doggy-in-bed situations.

Now how do you keep these guys and girls clean, digging for bones in the garden, her having her period once in a while, their love to roll in dirt (as we call it) for them just having a lovely back-scratch in the soil, walking through the wet and leaving their (soiled?) paws on everything, the list goes on.

Axélle

- My dog doesn't dig in the dirt.  She also gets regular baths.
- It's called getting your dog spayed.  My dog is spayed and has never once gone into heat.
- If my dog starts to roll in something nasty she's told to stop (which she does) and then she gets a bath.
- My dog is a priss.  She dislikes walking in anything muddy or that can cling to her paws.
- My dog also doesn't chew on anything other than her bone (that I gave her and has its own little place in the apartment) so my furniture is also non-chewed on.

Dogs generally do not mark territory within the house because people frown on that and their owners will usually nip that in the bud.  Outside, dogs do mark their territory (male and female alike), but that's outside on the grass where other animals have already marked their territory.

It just seems to me you've met dogs whose owners didn't know what they were doing. :P

I personally plan on getting either an American Pit Bull Terrier or a Great Dane.  Both will be welcome to share my bed and any girl or guy who wants to join will just have to deal with it.  The animals will also be taken care of like my current dog is taken care of so they'll be clean.  I like having a clean apartment so all of my pets are generally clean animals.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: Lynn Gabriel on April 24, 2012, 08:06:13 AM
[clipped]
It just seems to me you've met dogs whose owners didn't know what they were doing. :P
Well, I had an English Bull Dog for over 11 years. He like to pee on my windsurfer bag(s), maybe mistaken for some outside feature?
He also like to scratch, making his 'nest' on a leather couch or any other some such for that matter, even on brick or tiled floor  :eusa_doh: . He got castrated when very young, but still showed his appreciation by humping peoples legs and went wild with 'appreciation' once he got hold of your hair.

Loved to roll in the dirt right after he had a bath, charging about like completely of his rockers...

He also snored as loud like a motor-saw and did this mostly when no food or walkies was the case.
A lot of what I mentioned above is just natural behaviour and at least I and my partner hadn't a snowballs chance in hell, to change any of it.
Just saying, eh

I personally plan on getting either an American Pit Bull Terrier or a Great Dane.  Both will be welcome to share my bed and any girl or guy who wants to join will just have to deal with it.  The animals will also be taken care of like my current dog is taken care of so they'll be clean.  I like having a clean apartment so all of my pets are generally clean animals.
Oh dear, I do wish you best of luck with a dog bigger then your own size (Great Dane) sharing you bed...

Axelle
PS: what I did not even mention, even with female doggy company, they, the males seemed so far I've seen having a liking (demand?!) for wanting you to play with their balls and of course that thing in front of it... too much, just a bit too much for my daily routine... really

•  

Shang

Quote from: Axélle-Michélle on April 24, 2012, 08:37:03 AM
Well, I had an English Bull Dog for over 11 years. He like to pee on my windsurfer bag(s), maybe mistaken for some outside feature?
He also like to scratch, making his 'nest' on a leather couch or any other some such for that matter, even on brick or tiled floor  :eusa_doh: . He got castrated when very young, but still showed his appreciation by humping peoples legs and went wild with 'appreciation' once he got hold of your hair.

Loved to roll in the dirt right after he had a bath, charging about like completely of his rockers...

He also snored as loud like a motor-saw and did this mostly when no food or walkies was the case.
A lot of what I mentioned above is just natural behaviour and at least I and my partner hadn't a snowballs chance in hell, to change any of it.
Just saying, eh
Oh dear, I do wish you best of luck with a dog bigger then your own size (Great Dane) sharing you bed...

Axelle
PS: what I did not even mention, even with female doggy company, they, the males seemed so far I've seen having a liking (demand?!) for wanting you to play with their balls and of course that thing in front of it... too much, just a bit too much for my daily routine... really

Humping is usually a dominance thing -- even females engage in it.  My dog gets told to knock it off, which she does.  Granted she only likes to hump her toys.  She's such a girl. XD

Some dogs also just like to pee on things...Males seem more likely to do this, but don't rule females out.  If my dog pisses on anything other than something outside, she gets "punished".  It's worked a lot and now I have a dog that only uses the restroom outside.  You can change even natural behaviors, such as peeing on certain objects.  Sometimes it takes training and sometimes it takes sprays like Bitter Apple to prevent the behavior from occurring.

Baths are like crack for dogs, lol.  Harley's not allowed outside after one until she's dry because she loves to roll along the floor.

I'd love a large dog and Great Danes are great.  Honestly, larger dogs seem to take up less room than my small dog -- she manages to steal the whole bed and she's only 16 lbs.  My 50 lb dog took up less space than this terrier.  If I get a Dane, chances are I'll have a king-sized bed by then because I really want a king-sized bed since a queen is too small for me.
  •  

Lajs

I have a parrot who loves to snuggle up with me under the sheets before bedtime, and we quite often snooze together. She's quiet, lies still and doesn't smell - much better in bed than a dog! But I do worry about crushing her, so she always goes back to her perch when it's time to sleep deeply.  I've heard it's quite common for parrot owners to sleep with their birds - and the birds like it too. They like to be part of the flock.

We also had a dog that slept in and under the family's beds for years. She would do a nightly tour - start off in my sister's room, through mine and end up in my parents' bed. She hogged all the space, but I didn't mind.
"Die Welt ist tief; Und tiefer als der Tag gedacht."
  •