Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Microphone

Started by A, May 06, 2012, 12:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A

So, uhm, hey! I've been wanting to purchase a mic for my computer. It will help me practice and work on my voice, and eventually render possible Skype sessions with a voice therapist, if I decide to do it. Plus, I'll be able to do some voice chatting, which might help me do some "passing/natural" checks with unsuspecting people online.

But I don't know much about such a product, so I wanted to ask for advice. I tried to look around in local stores, but the only things they have are gamer's/chatting headsets, which I don't want, partly because my large head makes them uncomfortable, no matter the size or model. So I'd need a stand-alone microphone.

As for quality, well, I'd like to have something a little better than just "sufficient", without paying a fortune. Something like, "high quality, but not professional". I'd like to record songs, and perhaps analyse my samples with a software, and apparently, low-quality or gaming mics aren't made for that.

And since the stores around here don't seem to carry them, I'll have to order it over the Internet, which is why I'm asking for guidance.

So, I'd like to know...

-What brands do you recommend?
-What kind of price can I expect for the sort of quality I want, if you exclude delivery fees?
-What output is better? USB or 1/4"?
-And anything else helpful you might know!

Thanks for your help!
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

SarahLynn

I don't know much about microphones either, but I have been doing a little research on the equipment needed for podcasting.

Looks like you can get a halfway decent mic for $100-150. Saomson and Shure are two brands that I have seen mentioned as prosumer. Hope that helps.
  •  

Alexis

I hear and have read good things about GLS Audio's mics. They're really similar to Shure mics, but a fraction of the cost.
Just asked a friend who uses them to record, since I have zero experience with them. Hope that helps :)
  •  

A

Thanks for your input. Does anyone have more information? Oh, and what websites do you recommend? Ebay? Amazon? The company's site? Something else?
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

A

Ehm, I think I might have been misunderstood on quality. All the links you showed were studio microphones... I'm not really looking for professional material, actually. (And GLS Audio, well, maybe it's good, but their horrible website just prevents me from trusting it...)

What I'm looking for is rather a mid/high-end office/home desktop microphone that'll be easy to use. Nothing over 100 $, certainly, and anything suitable for a stage is most probably not what I'm looking for.

(I'm sorry for the previous post. I posted in sort of an intent to bump, but hadn't even looked at what you advised me.)
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: A on May 08, 2012, 10:29:56 PM
(And GLS Audio, well, maybe it's good, but their horrible website just prevents me from trusting it...)

:icon_ashamed: Sorry, just passing along what I was told by a friend; although he definitely uses them as a studio mics
Um, maybe cnet to find something? http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?tag=mncol%3Bsort%3Ber&query=microphone&searchtype=products&filter=&sort=editorsStarRatingAndReviewDate+desc&rpp=30
  •  

A

Don't be sorry at all!

Anyway, if someone could just provide me with a brand they trust or a good website to buy it on or something...

(At times like these, I really realise how much I am bad at/hate searching._
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

NotThereYet

Hi A,

I am sorry, but what about the microphone on your PC or your cell phone? Wouldn't either one of those work?

Cheers,
Andi
  •  

A

I don't have a cell phone. I do have an iPod, but its recording quality is bad. And my computer didn't have an integrated microphone...

But anyway, all is settled now. I -finally- found one. Cheap, and it definitely does the job.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Jenny_B_Good

Hi A,

Just wondering if you'd post what microphone you got, and any additional thoughts.
It's always good to pass on information.

Kind Regards,

Jenny

oxoxoxoxo
-       The longest journey a human must take, is the eighteen inches from their head to their heart    -
  •  

A

Uhm, it's pretty simple, really. I got a 13-dollar one from Staples. Their own brand, the only on-table model. It does the job wonderfully so far.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Adrasteia

Used instrument stores, craigslist, and ebay can also be good sources for microphones.  I bought a new Shure mic that was being discontinued about 12 years ago at my local guitar shop for $90 and it's still doing its job today for acoustic guitar, electric amp (no line out), and voice. It's a little weak on bass response, but I think that's more my fault and the room acoustics more than the mic.
  •  

pretty

I have been using one of these and I think it's a very nice balance of cost and quality  :)
  •  

MariaMx

A Blue Snowball would probably be a good choice for this sort of thing and it looks really cool too. Blue makes some really good microphones. Have the Blueberry myself and it is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-iCE-Microphone/dp/B006DIA77E/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1340133510&sr=1-7&keywords=blue+snowball
"Of course!"
  •  

Adrasteia

I'll second that - I used one that a friend's roommate had for voice acting practice and it was great!  I was trying to think of it earlier and totally spaced.
  •  

Emmy

if you want to seriously record music in a quality manner then your best bet would be an interface and condenser mic.

For just talking online, any ordinary USB mic should do the job fine.
  •  

Hikari

Just to add for anyone else looking for a cheap Mic, around here five below and big lots have table top, boom and headset, and clip-on plus headset mics for $5.

The quality is not exceptional, but it is on par with other dynamic mice made in china. I didnt buy the table top one but the one with a boom has dual 3.5mm plugs (for use with a Pc or tape deck) the ones that have clip on mics and a headset have a single 3.5mm plug and are meant for cell phones (it has a call answer button too, works with my EVO and iPhone, I am sure it works with most others that have a 3.5mm plug, some phones use a smaller 2.5mm plug).

I have been alternating between phone and computer, but i like the phone because I can record as i drive.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

A

Ehm, I think it might be appropriate to lock now. I've found my microphone long ago, and now people make the effort to write replies that aren't needed. ^^'
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •