Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Australian wines

Started by Jamie D, May 21, 2012, 07:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Really nice wine pairing Jamie!

The thing that my wines teacher from school said to me that resonated the most was when you're wine tasting, you're never wrong. Nobody can tell you what you smell or taste, so if you get a hint of something, to you it's there. Now, that said, wine tasting isn't a talent, it's a skill, so the more you do it, the better you'll get. While you may not be able to differentiate right away, you'll quickly realize that you recognize aromas and things more often. Pretty much everyone in my class was tasting wine at a basic level before the 3 week mark, but that was doing an average of 8 wines a day, 5 days a week (I loved my school).

Like Cindy said, letting a wine breathe for a while is best. With young wines it'll coax out aromas as well as help soften the harshness.

As far as the whole cork thing goes, the cork shortage is actually a common myth; cork is actually a really sustainable product, and there are some fun facts like there is enough cork that you could cork every bottle of wine consumed in the US for the next 100 years. The scarcity idea came out of the fact that around '01 or '02 cork got a lot more expensive, so wineries started to switch to alternative closures because it became harder for them to get. The alternative closures were initially developed to prevent cork taint. I can go into lots of technical detail about how cork taint works and all that fun stuff, but I don't anyone here deserves that kind of torture so the short of it is when people talk about wines being 'corked', they're usually talking about flaws produced by the cork itself (I've worked with a lot of people who just like to complain and say the wine is bad, rather than admit that it's just not to their taste, so don't always believe people when they say a wine is 'corked' :p). Depending on who you read, somewhere between 0.7% and 9% of wines suffer from some form of cork taint though. Anyway, all of the modern closures came into being in a way to fight cork taint. Screw caps, synthetic 'corks', and vino-lok aren't a bad things or anything to be concerned about with a wine, but they do change the way that the bottle ages drastically. Cork is still the best in terms of bottle aging wine long-term. There's also something to be said about the whole ceremony aspect of opening a wine for guests or customers or whatever it may be.

Quote from: luna nyan on June 04, 2012, 08:28:38 AM
Stelvin caps - very common in lower to midrange wines in Australia.  The higher end ones still are corked.
I quite like them for the convenience factor, especially on wines that I'm not going to cellar.  The rate of a Stelvin cap failing versus cork taint is lower as well.

Most Aussie wines are good value for what they are overseas, I just like whinging about the fact that they're usually more expensive at home!  The only criticism I have for Aussie wines is that on the average, the alcohol content tends to be a bit on the higher side.
^This
  •  

Jamie D

This evening we had a Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet  Sauvignon, 2010.

It was outdoor dining, on a warm late spring evening.  We were serving Santa Maria style barbecue.

Slow roasted beef tri-tip roast, green salad, western-style beans, french bread, and fresh-made tomato, onion and chili salsa.

The Cab had a pleasant bouquet, was very smooth on the palate.  Hint of berries, but does not overwhelm the clearly oaky cabernet finish.  No tannic aftertaste.

At $8.99 per bottle, a steal.

Four stars out of five.

Edit: Oh, and it had a cork.  :)
  •  

justmeinoz

Waterwheel in Central Victoria do some nice Cab Sav and Pinot Noir . We used to pick up a bottle from the cellar if we were passing through Bridgewater. 
Any of Owen Redman's Cabernets from the Coonawarra are  good value and anything by Peter Lehman is worth trying.
I have been trying the Pinot Gris here in Tasmania.   Bay of Fires are a nice drop, with a nice citrus tang.  I haven't started on the local Tas sparkling wines yet, but I have been told they are exceptionally good.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: justmeinoz on June 17, 2012, 07:10:56 AM
Waterwheel in Central Victoria do some nice Cab Sav and Pinot Noir . We used to pick up a bottle from the cellar if we were passing through Bridgewater. 
Any of Owen Redman's Cabernets from the Coonawarra are  good value and anything by Peter Lehman is worth trying.
I have been trying the Pinot Gris here in Tasmania.   Bay of Fires are a nice drop, with a nice citrus tang.  I haven't started on the local Tas sparkling wines yet, but I have been told they are exceptionally good.

Karen.
Bay of Fires is really nice, have you had Arras from them? Really good
You'll definitely have a much easier time getting these than us here in the states but some other great wineries in Tazmania to check out would be 2 Bud Spur (winemaker is Muchael Vishacki of Panorama Vineyard, but he does a better job at here) for their Pinot Noir, Morilla Estate for their Chard and Reisling, Winstead (winemaker is Andrew Hood) for their Pinot Noir, and Tamar Ridge has some nice Pinot Noir and Reisling
  •  

Jamie D

I had an occasion recently to use another Australian, this time a Lindeman Bin 90, Moscato, Southeastern Australia.  As with all Moscatos, and the similar Muscatels, this white wine is on the sweet side, and make a good dessert wine.  Reasonably priced at under US$10.00
  •