Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Australian wines

Started by Jamie D, May 21, 2012, 07:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

In another thread, about ear rings, I made a passing mention of an Australian wine I have had and enjoyed, a Coonawara region Cabernet Sauvignon.  (Sorry, I forget the vintner.)

I can get several types of Australian wines at my local "BevMo."

Who has recommendations for me?

I personally tend to favor the blushes (like white zin), and spicier whites (like rieslings and gewurtztraminers).

But, on occasion, I enjoy some of the classic reds.

I will say the best wine I have on hand is a Stag's Leap Cab from the Napa Valley.
  •  

Alexis

Torbreck is one of my favorite wineries out of Australia's Barossa Valley. If you like the semi-dry varietals you should like their Woodcutter's Semillon and their Viogner, but they're going to be just a bit drier. They make a semi-dry from Muscat Blanc that has some propriety name that I just don't remember. Their reds are incredible, especially as the price climbs unfortunately. 'Descendant' was one of the best Australian wines I've had, and I found it much more complex than Penfolds 'Grange' at 4x the price
Another winery that I love is Two Hands out of McLaren Vale; Angel's Share is quite good, and Bella's Garden is excellent but pricey
Penfolds makes amazing wine too, but I always thought their stuff was a little too expensive for what it is.

Hope that helps!
  •  

Alexis

Ooo, thought of another one that I can't believe that I left off that list; Ben Glaetzer, an incredible winemaker. He has four(i think its four) wines across the price ranges.

There are also some really interesting wines coming out of Tasmania too; look at the sparkling wines, rieslings (and gewurtz), chards, and pinots coming out of the region since the cooler climate makes for nice acidity.
  •  

Devlyn

Well, they're a bit sore about that whole Penal Colony thing, and they think they're too close to The Ice, and don't even get them started on how they wake up 17 hours ahead of the US......Huh? Oh, my bad, I thought you said Australian whines! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jamie D

They're going to put a contract out on you, you know.

"They has connections."
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on May 21, 2012, 09:37:26 PM
Torbreck is one of my favorite wineries out of Australia's Barossa Valley. If you like the semi-dry varietals you should like their Woodcutter's Semillon and their Viogner, but they're going to be just a bit drier. They make a semi-dry from Muscat Blanc that has some propriety name that I just don't remember. Their reds are incredible, especially as the price climbs unfortunately. 'Descendant' was one of the best Australian wines I've had, and I found it much more complex than Penfolds 'Grange' at 4x the price
Another winery that I love is Two Hands out of McLaren Vale; Angel's Share is quite good, and Bella's Garden is excellent but pricey
Penfolds makes amazing wine too, but I always thought their stuff was a little too expensive for what it is.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Alexis!  Generally, when it's just for home, my price range is $15 to $25.  I can get some nice wines rated in the high 80's to low 90's, if I shop around.  Entertaining or special occasions I'll go a little higher.

I get stressed when I pop anything over $50  :o
  •  

Devlyn

Well, since none of the usual Aussie Mafia seems to be interested in this, I think I'll go for a midnight stroll down this dark alley, it looks pretty safe to me....
  •  

Cindy

It is safe. Very very safe. I'll even be there to look after you.

Mmm yet another branding iron, whines indeed. Hmm

Think I'll use the Bitch one. The T should look interesting.
  •  

Jamie D

Take your pick

Fourth row, right?
  •  

Cindy

•  

luna nyan

I end up going to the Hunter Valley at least once a year.
Lakes Folly Cab Sav or their Chardy is quite good for the price - you need to either go cellar door or be quick with their mailing list though.  They're pretty consistent from year to year.

Also from the Hunter, for dessert wine I do like the late harvest semillon from Scarborough - it does vary somewhat from year to year though, but when it's on song, it's good value IMHO.

WA wines - I still rate Mount Mary Quintet amongst my favourites, but it's pricey.

Aussie wine in Australia is overpriced - I hate to say it, but it's actually cheaper to buy Aussie wine overseas than it is here - I checked the prices when I was on holiday in Hong Kong once, and it was cheaper over there. >.<
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: luna nyan on May 25, 2012, 05:55:39 AM
I end up going to the Hunter Valley at least once a year.
Lakes Folly Cab Sav or their Chardy is quite good for the price - you need to either go cellar door or be quick with their mailing list though.  They're pretty consistent from year to year.

Also from the Hunter, for dessert wine I do like the late harvest semillon from Scarborough - it does vary somewhat from year to year though, but when it's on song, it's good value IMHO.

WA wines - I still rate Mount Mary Quintet amongst my favourites, but it's pricey.

Aussie wine in Australia is overpriced - I hate to say it, but it's actually cheaper to buy Aussie wine overseas than it is here - I checked the prices when I was on holiday in Hong Kong once, and it was cheaper over there. >.<

Thanks luna.  I'll add these suggestions to my list.
  •  

Devlyn

Nice Jamie, I usually have to bend over in front of a mirror to see that many brands! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on May 25, 2012, 05:25:35 PM
Nice Jamie, I usually have to bend over in front of a mirror to see that many brands! Hugs, Devlyn

Not if you can run faster than Cindy in heels!
  •  

Jamie D

Okay, so I went by my local BevMo store to stock up on some wines and other libations.

They had one Coonawarra region wine in stock, so I got it to try this weekend.  It is close to an Alexis recommendation, and one, I hope, of which Cindy would approve.

Penley Estate
Hyland
2008 Coonawara Shiraz

On the back label it reads:

The Name: Penley was born out of our family names Penfold and Tolley, synonymous with 160 years of winemaking tradition.  Hyland pays tribute to our Penfold-Hyland forebears.
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Jamie D on May 31, 2012, 03:23:19 PM
Penley Estate
Hyland
2008 Coonawara Shiraz
That's actually a really nice bottle, esp for the price. Well, actually I can't say for sure about the '08, but the '04 and the '05 were. I'd love to hear your review when you decide to open it :)
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on June 01, 2012, 09:31:32 PM
That's actually a really nice bottle, esp for the price. Well, actually I can't say for sure about the '08, but the '04 and the '05 were. I'd love to hear your review when you decide to open it :)

Well, okay Alexis - here goes.

First, we had the wine with a cross rib beef roast, grilled asparagus, mashed potatoes, and a horseradish sauce.

The first surprise was that the bottle had no cork!  Perhaps this is the norm for Australian wines, I don't know.

Before eating, the wine had a very nice herbal bouquet to the nose.  At the first taste, I sensed cherries, and perhaps berries.  (I'm not that versed in tasting, and I don't spit)  It was not as smooth or creamy, as I might have expected.  And it has a little bit of a tannic bite in the aftertaste.

I'd say it was a very enjoyable wine for the price, and in more layman terms, "not bad and better than I am used to."

Three of us split a 750 ml bottle.
  •  

Cindy

I'll try again and hope I don't get crashed again.

Corks have been phased out due to shortage.

I did have some 1998 Coonawarra Shiraz in my cellar but someone kept breaking in a stealing it.  ::)

You do need to let them breathe for about 30 mis.

Sounds a nice meal as well. I'll have to call around next time.
  •  

luna nyan

Quote from: Jamie D on June 03, 2012, 10:19:42 PM
The first surprise was that the bottle had no cork!  Perhaps this is the norm for Australian wines, I don't know.
Stelvin caps - very common in lower to midrange wines in Australia.  The higher end ones still are corked.
I quite like them for the convenience factor, especially on wines that I'm not going to cellar.  The rate of a Stelvin cap failing versus cork taint is lower as well.

Most Aussie wines are good value for what they are overseas, I just like whinging about the fact that they're usually more expensive at home!  The only criticism I have for Aussie wines is that on the average, the alcohol content tends to be a bit on the higher side.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •