Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

being john malkovitch

Started by harbour, October 10, 2005, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harbour

just watched this last night with my mum, id had how large the subplot with john cusacks wife (cameron diaz) deciding she was transexual was (she spends fifteen minutes as john malcovitch and describes that it felt like "her" and that she thinks shes a transexual)

but yeah, anyone seen this movie? what did they  think about it? i wish they followed it though in the epilogue but i guess they decided that if they dressed cameron up as a man for the last few minutes people might take it as a joke
  •  

stephanie_craxford

You know, I've never seen this movie, I've heard of it but never seen it.  Did you like it, what are the other opinions out there.

Chat later,

Steph  :)
  •  

Dennis

I liked it, but didn't get the trans subtext at the time I watched it. I just thought it was a cool movie.

Dennis
  •  

harbour

i really like it, there are a few plot holes but you really shouldnt be thinking that hard when you watch a movie, (john/craig seems to accomplish ALOT in eight months at the end however) as for the "subtext" well i dont think it counts as subtext, she out and says something like "honey i think im a transexual, im thinking of going to the doctors tomorrow and asking about gender reassignment"

thats not subtext, thats blatant..
since i just come out to my mum i guess it kind of edged her in a little, i mean i couldnt start out by showing her boys dont cry straight away could i?
  •  

beth

This is a great film, has lots of TS undertones and subplots. It has one of the funniest lines i've ever heard in a film. I can't post it here (R-Rated), but it is something Cameron Diaz's character said to "her" husband that showed "she" truly was male despite being in Diaz's body.

I have always loved films where the characters switched bodies/brains or died and came back in someone elses body etc. I've been like that all my life, wonder why.

beth
  •