Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

prometrium

Started by lisagurl, May 26, 2005, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisagurl

I just added prometrium to my mix of estradoil and spiro. Some say they get depression as it is also on the warnings. Has anyone had a problem?
  •  

Terri-Gene

What did your doctor say about it and what to watch for when it was added?  And was it a necessity to add it at all?

Terri
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Lisagurl.

As Terri-Gene said, you have to go by what your doctor has advised.  As you seem to be already taking prometrium, it should have been discussed before it was prescribed.  Remember that the list of side effects of any drug is extensive, and that's because different people can react to it in different ways.

If I told you that I suffered depression because I was taking prometrium, (I don't take it by the way) that information would serve you no purpose as my body is different from your's, as is my emotional state.  Check back with your doctor hon, it's the best way to go  :)

Steph
:) :) :)
  •  

Terri-Gene

Quote from: lisagurl on May 26, 2005, 03:46:23 PM
I just added prometrium to my mix of estradoil and spiro. Some say they get depression as it is also on the warnings. Has anyone had a problem?

Since you are concerned about possible problems wih prometrium, did you bother to ask about adverse side efects of any of the estrogens, or of spiro even?  check with your doctor about postassium levels and how they are affected, even life threatning, from spiro? and how you can get phone calls from the lab at 5am telling you to get yer butt into emergency for EKG tests immediately in direct relationship to Spiroronolactone use?  thats what the doctors are for ya know.

Terri
  •  

AllisonY2K

I haven't noticed anything above or beyond my usual estrogen-induced mood swings. then again, your mileage may vary. my chest isn't sore tho so I guess it's doing something.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on July 23, 2005, 02:35:57 PM
As Terri-Gene said, you have to go by what your doctor has advised. 

Not that I'm entirely disagreeing with you, but don't put all the responsibility on the doctor.  It is right and proper to learn all you can about the medications you have been prescribed.  And you should work together with your doctor to determine if his/her course of treatment is right for you.  Remember, your doctor worlks for you, not the other way around.  If you feel that something is not right, talk to your doctor about it and be ready to state why.  At the very least, you may get more information in the process.
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Lisbeth on August 19, 2005, 04:34:18 PM
Not that I'm entirely disagreeing with you, but don't put all the responsibility on the doctor.  It is right and proper to learn all you can about the medications you have been prescribed.  And you should work together with your doctor to determine if his/her course of treatment is right for you.  Remember, your doctor worlks for you, not the other way around.  If you feel that something is not right, talk to your doctor about it and be ready to state why.  At the very least, you may get more information in the process.

Hello Lisbeth.

If you are going through a doctor, or other medical professional for your HRT or any other treatment, then your doctor "is" responsible for that treatment, unless you do not follow their advice or withhold information prior to treatment.  Other than that I agree with you, that is what we advocate at Susan's, "seek professional medical assistance when dealing with HRT".  Lisagurl herself said :

QuoteI just added prometrium to my mix of estradoil and spiro. Some say they get depression as it is also on the warnings. Has anyone had a problem?

"She" added... to her mix !!!, then she asks for our advice on depression.

No, you have to see your doctor for this.

Chat later

Steph
  •  

ginaroxx79

When my doc suggested adding a progestin we originally went with Prometrium. When I got to the pharmacy however I was floored by the price, about $220 for one month. As a cash paying patient this was unacceptable. We ended up going with medroxyprogesterone (provera) which is much cheaper, $15 for a month is doable for me.

As for depression, it wasn't an issue. I'm sure my SSRI's have something to do with that as I have heard from many that progestins have caused them depression. I did notice that my breasts became more tender and swelled some, which wasn't a problem for me. I'm not sure about Prometrium, but the medroxy has the added benefit of helping to block "T". This of course will be different for everyone.

I'm defiantely under the care of a medical professional, and if you're not you should be. Cancer, liver damage, heart disease, blood clots, strokes and embolism being some of the more serious risks associated with HRT. When compared to these depression pales in comparison.
  •